149 replies to this topic

#1 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:56 AM

Hai folks. Yes, this is another tyre thread. If you've cracked the shits, please leave now. I'm up for a new set of tyres, and well, I've been doing a little research into it all over the last few nights whilst at work. At the moment, I've got my 225/40ZR18 Toyo T1Rs, and I must say, I'm happy to buy another set. They've lasted me over 45k kms, with still a couple of mm left above the wear indicator, awesome speed and load ratings (92Y) and good wear rating (UTQG 280) But they weren't the cheapest tyres in the world to buy, and well, I like options, so I thought I'd put together a bit of a comparison, with the help of you folks! I've found a few websites in terms of tyre comparisons, but they've mostly been US based, and well, I found their range somewhat confusing, and they've also got some US specific treads. Bit of a bummer. I have however found a website that has some common tyres available in Australia. http://www.carbonblack.com.au It seems to cover a few things, and seems like one of those useless sites, but the tyre section does help a little when comparing tyres. The rating system however, I find useless. So at the moment, I'm looking at the Ultra High Performance tyre bracket. Like most of you, I'm looking at the best bang for buck tyre there is, whilst trying keep to the better side of things in terms of quality (performance) and treadwear. I have looked into the Kumho KU36, but I don't like the fact that the treadwear rating is so low (180) versus the T1R tyres I already have (280). So, serious contenders are against the benchmark T1R's Toyo T1R Speed/Load = 92Y XL UTQG = 280 Trac = AA Temp = A Price = ~$600 Bridgestone RE050A Speed/Load = 92Y UTQG = 140 Trac = A Temp = A Price = ? Continental ContiSport3 Speed/Load = 92Y UTQG = 280 Trac = AA Temp = A Price = $320ea. Notes: The bridgestones are shit on paper. The Continental CS3's look good. Comparable with the T1R's on paper, and on eBay, $1,280.00 for four, according to St. George Tyres in Tempe. From memory, the T1R's were close to $600 a pop from a major retailer!!! Anything else worth considering guys? Cheers Alex

#2 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:37 AM

you can get the ku-36 from option1garage for $230 a pop and $60 postage from QLD to your door. I've already priced up some in 17's will cost $700 delivered! Can use nearly two sets if you like :D aparently the ku-36 has phenomenal dry grip as they are considered a RT (Road/Track) Tyre. i wouldnt bother with the 050a's, they will be over $400 a pop and won't have the grip the others have to offer. i've heard the conti's are good, but they won't grip as good as the others either. i dont understand why the T1R's are so freakin expensive?!?!?

MY07 GT spec B

#3 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:35 PM

Not considering RE001's? Everyone that tries them loves em and at round 200-250 a tyre they're a bargain. BFYB I think they'd be hard to beat. Another that hasn't made your short list is G/year F1 GS-D3 Dad's got them on the foz and swears by them (he's on his 4th set) these are more expensive (round 300 mark from mem) than the RE001's but have slightly higher load rating.

#4 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:28 PM

also check out the new advan ad08 or the more serious a050. its also in the category of RT tyre. http://www.yokohama....aspx?tyreid=208

MY07 GT spec B

#5 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:42 PM

Ive heard good things about "Clear" branded tyres. :sarcastic: :sarcastic: Seriously though, I paid $215 each for my KU36's in 225/40/18. At that price you can have almost three sets compared to the price of the T1R's. They do stick like shit to a blanket. :D

OEM+

#6 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:08 PM

Any of you guys looked at the Falken RT615's ?

In a;
225/45 R18 91W
225/40 R18 92W
225/45 R17 94W

Posted Image

Be keen to know peoples thoughts on these.. Almost just bought a set for my car but budget didn't permit.. Will have to wait!

UTQG is 200 apparently.

#7 smythie

smythie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Cars, bikes, motor racing, athletics

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:32 PM

have tried the Advan V103 and Michelin Pilot Preceda 2 on my Gen 4 (215/45R18). I'd rate the Advan a touch better though prone to be louder. Wore quicker too. But at $325 vs $400 for the (now discontinued) Michelin I reckon it was much better BFYB. Have read some fantastic prices for the new Michelin PS3 too though they were for less obscure sizes than the one Subaru lumped the Spec B with :diablo:

#8 Ericmcg

Ericmcg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:59 PM

I have used the Kumho on a few cars, including my B4 and found them very good, great grip and wear pretty well. Tried the Michellin once but they wore very quickly.
Posted Image Posted Image

#9 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:30 AM

I ran the Michy PP2's for about a month and they were quite good even at about 50% i could throw into corners faster than i probably should have been lol but in the wet... i found they slipped a bit, seemed to wear Well though considering the hammering i gave them!, but at the price i have seen them advertised i would stick with my T1R's
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#10 smythie

smythie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Cars, bikes, motor racing, athletics

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:56 PM

My current PP2's had no trouble in the wet in October last year on my annual pilgrimage. Passed plenty of bikes and a couple of (slowly driven) porsches. I was driving slower simply because it was wet though but no moments that I can remember, including a very leaf and stick littered run down reefton. They also did bloody well in the damp patches last Saturday when Audrey was following Sam and Paul on the Putty

#11 Os Blacker

Os Blacker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:20 PM

Ku36's - tempe tyres - $175 ea include gst. 245/40/18
2004 outback, currently clean, only for a day or two

#12 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:01 AM

Edit.

OEM+

#13 MiniWalks

MiniWalks

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:54 AM

Hankook S1Evo (aka K107's)

Got them on my B4 at the moment, and love them to bits, better bang for buck than the Kuhmo's, and wayyy better bang for buck than the Bridgestones

#14 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:05 AM

Was surprised/amazed by how well the GSD3's on M&D's foz held on (and they're 3/4 worn) in the rain on my way to bangalow this morn... def better than RE001's in the wet.

#15 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:30 AM

def better than RE001's in the wet.

That's not hard.

That Potenza RE001's are amazing in the dry, almost faultless.

But in the wet, give it any boost at all and it gets loose.

and they seem to be held together by screws:

Posted Image

or is that just mine?

#16 Chadza

Chadza

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:41 AM

RE001's in the wet are dangerous. They dont let you carry ANY speed at all if the road has any more than a sheen of water on the surface. Definitely what they would call a "summer" tyre in Europe or America.
MY02 Blue Pearl B4 Manual - 185KW atw
Ecutek Stage 2, 3" DBE, Walbro FP, Hyperflow CAI
14.2 @ 158kph

#17 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:58 AM

RE001's in the wet are dangerous.

+1.

Having drifted THIS FREEWAY ONRAMP on those in the wet, I can vouch for that.

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#18 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:47 PM

I have Dunlop Sp Sport 8090's on mine. Pretty happy with them :D

#19 Chadza

Chadza

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:24 PM

I have been on that on ramp ams, so i can vouch that being on RE001's in the wet on that bit of road would be scary!! Not a heap of runoff room!!

Im surprised your car didn't look like Walts' after that episode. :sarcastic:
MY02 Blue Pearl B4 Manual - 185KW atw
Ecutek Stage 2, 3" DBE, Walbro FP, Hyperflow CAI
14.2 @ 158kph

#20 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:45 PM

Im surprised your car didn't look like Walts' after that episode.

Haha - there's no railing on the outside of the road.

Oh, and i'm a good driver...

:)

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users