7 replies to this topic

#1 lbailey457

lbailey457

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:30 PM

Hi guys new to this thread.
I'm just looking into (not planning or doing yet) a wrx or sti engine swap into my sohc impreza and I'm thinking about converting to rwd. What I wanna know is if any of you guys know if the fa box bolts up to an ej engine? If it's as simple as fa box, custom x member and custom tail shaft I figure why not.

If anyone can shed some light it'll be much appreciated.

Regards,
Luke

#2 lbailey457

lbailey457

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:32 PM

Actually something I didn't think of is the shifter location and stuff like clutch lines and stuff, , but still what ever ideas/knowledge you guys have I'm all ears or should I say eyes.

#3 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • Interests:Door Frames

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:35 PM

Best way is to get a ppg rwd spool and put that in your current box

Can be done with 6 or 5 speed
Fit a r180 rear diff/shafts and hubs

And leave the stubs of the cv in the hub (For the front so your bearings don't fall apart)

#4 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:42 PM

Yep. There are a few other mobs who also make RWD spool for Subaru so have a look around. Usually around $600 new

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#5 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:50 PM

Hi guys new to this thread.
I'm just looking into (not planning or doing yet) a wrx or sti engine swap into my sohc impreza and I'm thinking about converting to rwd. What I wanna know is if any of you guys know if the fa box bolts up to an ej engine? If it's as simple as fa box, custom x member and custom tail shaft I figure why not.

If anyone can shed some light it'll be much appreciated.

Regards,
Luke

probably a slim chance on that happening. in regards to your swap, unless your car already has some prep work done for the swap I would highly consider buying the car that came with all that gear standard and then mod it. It will save you so much time and money in the long run! happy modding!

MY07 GT spec B

#6 lbailey457

lbailey457

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:31 PM

Cheers guys,
Yeah plan was to weld the centre diff on the ej box but just thought by the off chance a fa20 box might bolt up.
Another question and you will all think it's pretty nooby but do r180 shafts fit into an n/a impreza hubs? I'm under the impression wrx and n/a are the same and sti are different? Can someone elaborate on this?

Cheers

#7 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:47 PM

Youre correct, Need R180 rear hubs. 

tIeW8DE.png

#8 Rustyrobertson

Rustyrobertson

Boxer this, Boxer that, Boxer EVERYTHING!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:09 PM

You are right on the money, R180 shafts are larger in diameter and have more splines over R160 rear ends, if you are lucky you can find R180 hubs that are 5x100 (that way you don't have to change pcd on the rear)

I was running a welded centre diff with a welded R160 for two drift nights, surprisingly i didnt blow a shaft, but then i was giving it a lot of mechanical sympathy.

Now i am running a complete R33 rear end, so welded R200 with nissan hubs and brakes to suit in custom hub carriers. Which stood up to abuse at the Qld matsuri.

Cheers guys,
Yeah plan was to weld the centre diff on the ej box but just thought by the off chance a fa20 box might bolt up.
Another question and you will all think it's pretty nooby but do r180 shafts fit into an n/a impreza hubs? I'm under the impression wrx and n/a are the same and sti are different? Can someone elaborate on this?

Cheers

Now i am also curious if the FA rwd gearboxes do fit an EJ's because it would save me dramas customizing a belhouse to suit a different stronger box, im running a 5 speed long ratio BE legacy box of which i dont expect to last too much longer knowing what suby gearboxes are like.  

And also if anyone knows what the strength of the BRZ boxes are like would be a great help

10010098_766304696768066_445460950968991

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users