12 replies to this topic

#1 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 09:55 PM

Hi guys, I have been searching non stop, and can't find this particular problem anywhere else...

I have a click in my front end somewhere - The click is more like a clunk sound, but not one you feel, perhaps a dull click might be a better description. It's not my calipers (they make noise, but not the same), it's not any part of my suspension components, I've replaced every single thing, rebuilt the CVs, replaced ball joint, tie rod end links and inner tie rod, and sway bar links. The only things that haven't been replaced are the sway bar bushes, and the control arm bushes (and they're all fine, got a bar in there and no movement).I also swapped out my suspension for a spare set, and the sound didn't change.

For those of you who don't know, I have a gen 3 with 98 sti type r running gear and engine, my searches have tended to turn up that my center diff is stuffed, but it's always about torque binding and low speeds, I've had a car torque bind, and my car doesn't do that. It also makes the noise at 60km/h if I swerve just over the line and swerve to the other line etc, so like a 25deg turn maybe? It appears weight transfer and bumps have a lot to do with this sound.

I am wondering if it's my front diff, whether it's not disengaging from 'straight' (i.e both wheels going forward together) to 'turning' (one wheel turning slower than the other) but only on a small scale. Has anyone heard of this, had any experience or anything? Please just any suggestions will help me cancel things out.

Also please excuse my lack of knowledge on suby AWD systems and my own car if I'm not explaining something correctly and let me know if I need to explain something further.

*EDIT*

http://www.onallcyli...iveline-noises/

Noise: Banging, crunching, or popping while making a turn. Noise not affected by temperature
Cause: Badly worn or broken spider gears

This is what I suspect my problem is...

I think tuning is a crime of passion, or maybe a labour of love. Either way it furiates and excites me.

#2 WALKER

WALKER

SAM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 10:24 PM

Attached File  Screenshot_2014-11-16-23-19-12.png   451.52KB   7 downloads

Posted Image

#3 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:46 PM

So no one else has had this problem?

I think tuning is a crime of passion, or maybe a labour of love. Either way it furiates and excites me.

#4 MrSober88

MrSober88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:19 PM

I had something that might be similar, but not sure without hearing it. Mine would make a click or thump like noise when turning into corners ect. I ended up finding out that one of the lower ball joints had failed when my wheel hit the wheel arch when I was leaving work one day.

So this may be another thing for you to maybe check, may not be your issue though. Mine completely dislodged from the socket before I found out what it was.

EDIT: scrap that, When I first read through I didn't see you replaced ball joint but i read through it again and just saw it.

#5 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:15 PM

Thanks for your help guys. I really appreciate it. Let's just say it was my spider gears, what things (apart from draining the oil and finding metal pieces) should I be looking for/noticing?

#6 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 04 December 2014 - 05:32 AM

Any sort of slackness in the drive train is the first indicator of busted/worn gears. Jack up the front of the car and put it in a gear and try and turn one of the wheels. There should be a little bit of free play there, but not much. Check that, but my bet is something hitting or knocking against something. Check all suspension related bolts to make sure nothing has sheared or snapped.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#7 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:21 AM

I've mostly checked everything as far as I can tell. The sound has also moved to more of a 'creak' sometimes. When I got the wheels fitted the over day, the tyre bloke said it could be the steering rack bolts, as they have rubber mounts. Tightened them up and no difference. Next I will try adding something in there to see if it reduces the noise?

#8 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:17 AM

If you travel on dirt roads frequently, be very wary of putting grease in bushes - once the dust and dirt get into the grease it effectively turns it into cutting compound, and soon you wont have much bush left. If you do put some in, use it sparingly.

If you never use dirt roads, feel free, but again, use it sparingly - you dont need much, just a little to lubricate it. Check the main pivot points on the front lower arms too - there might be no movement in the arm, but the joint may be suffering from age. Try torquing up the bolts on these to see if they are even the tiniest bit loose compared to spec.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#9 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:02 PM

It's steering related though. Not when I go over bumps, it's when the wheel is turned. Once it's turned say 20° and held there (long corner sort of thing, or in a court) it doesn't make any noise, but if you turn the wheel harder or loosen it off, it makes the noise again

#10 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:04 AM

My outback seems to do the same when turning right. Different hub new cv and a replacment gearbox and still the noise is present. Also replaced the lower control arm bush, but will have to check out the ball joint. Could the strut top be worn and allowing the shock to move?

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#11 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 12:27 PM

I thought that was my problem too scuba-roo, but different suspension (and top hats) didn't change anything. The lower control arm bushes are about the only thing I haven't tried, but I am certain that isn't my problem.

I did some more trouble-shooting today and found the noise IS NOT PRESENT in reverse?? This makes me almost certain my diff is buggered, as the teeth wouldn't chatter going backwards like they do going forward.

I got a video anyway, you can't hear much at the start because of road noise, but from about 0:50, you can hear the click when moving the steering wheel.

http://youtu.be/YrlfW263Ew4

#12 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:17 PM

New update. The guy at the tyre place said it could be the rubbers on my steering mounts. I have taken them off and packed some rubber in to see if it makes any difference, but I am in the process of painting my calipers, so it will have to wait till I have bled my brakes before I can check.

#13 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 07:37 PM

Ok, nope, that didn't fix it. Next I guess is dumping the diff oil and looking for chunks of metal \m/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diff, clicking, noise, clunking, clunk, turning, front

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users