20 replies to this topic

#1 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:30 PM

hey guys, went to get my 18×8 +42 rims fitted today, but they sit past my guard. I have 18×7.5 +45 on now, and was told it's only 3mm and there wouldn't be any difference. Do yourself a favour and use an offset calculator. Had I have done that originally, I would've learned it was 9mm on the outside, not 3.

I have found a fitter and turner who said he can take off about 3mm from the inside face of the rim to make it +45. But it'll still sit out another 6mm over the rims I have now and it's not possible to take off any more without compromising strength.

I'm most likely not the first, nor the last. But hopefully this helps at least 1 person.

I think tuning is a crime of passion, or maybe a labour of love. Either way it furiates and excites me.

#2 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:32 PM

you do realise that the wheel is 0.5" wider than your original wheel overall as well as the difference in offset!! 

MY07 GT spec B

#3 JRod

JRod

The artist formally known as 988OXR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:37 PM

Lolocaust!!!!!!!

Instead of stuffing around with the integrity of your rims, why not get him to flare out the guard a bit.

Posted Image

As soon as i mentioned 300kw I was in trouble :)

#4 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:37 PM

My last set of rims were exactly the same specs.
I didn't have a problem untill it was dumped on it's arse..... Weird.

#5 Reevesy

Reevesy

Adriano

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:39 PM

Depends on what width/profile tyres you have as well

#6 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:42 PM

My last set of rims were exactly the same specs.
I didn't have a problem untill it was dumped on it's arse..... Weird.

Forget that. Just checked them.....7.5.

#7 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:57 PM

when the fella selling you the rims is well known and says 'it's been done several times before and it's never been an issue as long as you have 225s, but you may need your guards rolled' (already have been), you would think they know what they're talking about. Since i've never fitted mags before, it's lesson learned. Not flaring the guards and risking the paint for the sake of <10mm

I also measured the rims and got 203mm. It wasn't until today the tyre bloke told me the measurement is taken inside of the lip from 'flat' to 'flat'. So you take off about half an inch from outside to outside

I think tuning is a crime of passion, or maybe a labour of love. Either way it furiates and excites me.

#8 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 24 November 2014 - 07:18 PM

Camber?

You will need a rear camber kit in a Gen3 for those specs. Fronts will have enough adjustment to sit just inside the guards.

OEM+

#9 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 07:43 PM

Rears sit in enough. I think that will be the option to make up the 6mm on the front

Picture is of the front tyre on the straight edge with the guard with +45s on

Attached Files

#10 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:15 PM

I fitted some 18x8 +42 with 225/40's on my mates old gen3.

I rolled the front/rear guards flat, Trimmed the front guard liners and they never rubbed.

The suspension was BC V1's and nothing else.

hUmZtcq.jpg

That car then got 18x8.5 +48 with 235/40's and no issues again.

HOh3z96.jpg

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#11 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:18 PM

My gen3 is running 17x8 +45's with 235 45's.

Guards have been rolled flat and BC V1's again. Never scrubs ever.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#12 Ben_20EJT

Ben_20EJT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:34 PM

Im running a 17x8 +35 and a 225/45 tyre, just needed a pump and roll to make then fit nice and my car is dumped hard on its ass.

freeway.jpeg 

#13 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:54 PM

Would the wrx running gear affect my wheel position? GC8 wheelbase is smaller than BE wheelbase according to Wikipedia

#14 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:04 PM

Fitment its all about risk and reward. There are too many variables to listen to people who say it's been done before even between wheel manufacturer and the tyre manufacturers.

I'm running 17x8.5 +45 with a 215/45, only the rears rolled and no scrubbing but ymmv.

#15 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:20 PM

I believe if I nip 3mm off the back face and run camber on the fronts, it should work. If not, i'll pump the guards. I just have a show coming up this weekend and don't have time to organise it beforehand. Don't want to attract attention or give any reason for it. So crazy camber is out. Also dislike paying for rubber when only one edge is worn. Thanks for the input everyone. I'll get photos up once it's all fitted

#16 lemon

lemon

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:24 PM

Hahaha I'm running 19x8 +35 and I'm roughly 80mm from the ground and I still manage to fit into my guards although they're rolled and pumped. Also get minimal rubbing with 235/35

#17 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:36 PM

What suspension you running lemon? Obviously if you've got stiff suspension it's much easier. But I have the Bilsteins and country roads with potholes big as your head. I need all the travel I can ha ha

#18 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 08:32 PM

Here is how they look. Haven't got any pics showing how far they sit out. They sit inside the guard on the back at the top by about 6mm , but outside the bumper by about 13mm. On the front, the rim is flush with the guard on top (camber) but sits about 17mm out past the side skirt. (Haven't actually measured it)

Attached Files

#19 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:02 AM

That doesnt actually look that bad. Ignore the distance between tyre and side skirt/bumper - the only measurement that matters is the top lip of the guards, and of course distance between tyre and suspension/inner guard. How do they drive?

Cheers,

Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#20 lemon

lemon

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 02:02 PM

What suspension you running lemon? Obviously if you've got stiff suspension it's much easier. But I have the Bilsteins and country roads with potholes big as your head. I need all the travel I can ha ha

I was running stock suspension and now BC coilovers .
I rubbed heaps with stock but now I very rarely scrub but I lifted my car up 10mm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users