• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ironman

ironman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:25 AM

Hi guys, not sure if this is the right spot to post.

Apparently it started life as a Legacy RS30 NA H6 3.0L Auto. And somewhere along the way it was converted to a twin turbo H4 and 5sp manual. The turbo heat shields have Japanese written on them which makes me think it was converted in japan before it was personally imported. Any major differences between the JDM B4 engines and the ADM ones?  

It has a few features that I hadn't seen on the ADM liberty's such as powered folding mirrors, grey wood grain dash, rear window wiper.

Car is mostly stock apart from a short shifter.

Minor issues include:

-Speed and possibly tacho are inaccurate, would this be because of the original 3.0L?

-Synchro? issue in the gearbox, whines and makes sounds on deceleration.

-Oil in the spare wheel well?

Thoughts?

z9iHj4G.jpg

zDiHj6G.jpg

zDi8j4G.jpg

zDi3j4G.jpg

#2 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,449 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:36 AM

-Speed and possibly tacho are inaccurate, would this be because of the original 3.0L?
Yep tacho would be about 2000 rpm out on the H6. Although its got a non blackout cluster but a facelift front end so it might be a rev a-c TT loom. If you pull the cluster out there should be a big 30 pin plug, a 16 pin and either a 14 or 18 pin plug. If its 18 pins you should be able to plug in any B4 or GTB blackout cluster and it should work.

Someone probably spilt the oil in the boot no idea how else it would get there

tIeW8DE.png

#3 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:36 AM

oil in spare wheel well - evidence the PO carried a tub of oil around with him and it got knocked over and spilt... therefore suspicion that engine (maybe the 3.0?) was consuming oil. Go on, ask me how I know :)

You're also missing a bolt holding down your IC to the bracket there.

Do you have an engine code ?  

#4 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:03 PM

+ AUDM B4 interior?

Welcome to SubyClub :)

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#5 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,449 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:05 PM

+ AUDM B4 interior

Welcome to SubyClub :)

Not necessarily. Blue was available in the sedans in JDM land.

And yeah welcome :) 

tIeW8DE.png

#6 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:07 PM

ha. what would i know about gen 3's? i'll leave it to those who know ;)

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#7 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:12 PM

Yep tacho would be about 2000 rpm out on the H6. Although its got a non blackout cluster but a facelift front end so it might be a rev a-c TT loom. If you pull the cluster out there should be a big 30 pin plug, a 16 pin and either a 14 or 18 pin plug. If its 18 pins you should be able to plug in any B4 or GTB blackout cluster and it should work.

Someone probably spilt the oil in the boot no idea how else it would get there

What's the redline on the tacho?  TT should be 7.5k, whilst 3.0 is 6k?.

#8 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,449 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:20 PM

6500 with 7k limit i think. The main problem is that it revs differently. Chris (Scooby Outback) has one in his car and instead of redlining at 6 or w/e Ej25 is the tacho only shows 4k lol. Its not calibrated for the 4 cylinders

tIeW8DE.png

#9 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:28 PM

Aussie heat shields have a picture of a hand with an X through it....... I assume it means stop fapping whilst looking at your turbo.

Oil in the boot is used oil, wouldn't worry about that. It's not leaking from anywhere in the boot at least. 

Hello and welcome to SC,  Iren mon

#10 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:03 PM

You buy it from canberra or live here? I worked briefly with a guy who had a black rs30 that I have a feeling may have been a TT. Was just after I got my car so wasn't too clued up at the time though lol. I am in canberra with a black B4, I'll keep an eye out.

#11 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:05 PM

6500 with 7k limit i think. The main problem is that it revs differently. Chris (Scooby Outback) has one in his car and instead of redlining at 6 or w/e Ej25 is the tacho only shows 4k lol. Its not calibrated for the 4 cylinders

Yes - but the redline is a quick visual check to see if its a 3.0 cluster

#12 ironman

ironman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:49 PM

Do you have an engine code ?  

Engine number or engine code?

What's the redline on the tacho?  TT should be 7.5k, whilst 3.0 is 6k?.

Redline is 7.5k.

You buy it from canberra or live here? I worked briefly with a guy who had a black rs30 that I have a feeling may have been a TT. Was just after I got my car so wasn't too clued up at the time though lol. I am in canberra with a black B4, I'll keep an eye out.

Yep, it's apparently been a canberra car all of its life in Australia.

Whats the applied model code or Vin number ?

If the Vin is 9 digit it is a import. If it runs a 17 digit its a aussie. Could be a Vic dodgy Rebuilt id as well.

You will find this on the LH strut tower in the engine bay.

You can pm me the Vin number If you want and I can look into the build sheet on the car.

The vin is 17 digits according to the rego certificate. 

The VIN on the build plate in the engine bay has 9 characters?

#13 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:10 PM

Pic of engine bay clearly shows 9 digit VIN on firewall. No yellow plate, just build plate.

Also, they must have popped the motor at some point while it was an RS30. The engine in it is a Rev A-C along with the speedo and tash trim.  D-E models had the better looking dash surrounds and a darker ring around the momo symbol on the steering wheel.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#14 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:17 PM

Could be a Vic dodgy Rebuilt id as well.

Stay away from these, theyre nothing but trouble. :sarcastic:

OEM+

#15 Reevesy

Reevesy

Adriano

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:56 PM

Speak to Snowball or Ben@ Ichiban as they both have combined prob 40 plus odd years Subaru experience and wont touch a rebuilt vin plated car.  

Get your info right before you start throwing around names, I have talked to Ben personally about an SVX he tried to purchase that had a 6T9REPV vin. The only thing that stopped him was with the difficulty with getting it rego'd in NSW. It had nothing to do with any 'Dodgyness'.

I myself have a 6T9REPV Legacy GT that is registered in NSW and the only thing that makes it look dodgy is the fact that it has 3 different VIN numbers. It isn't a hybrid of two cars and it complies with all ADR's 

#16 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:07 PM

The thread has not been fuked by your post Suby Dr.

You have just given us quite a detailed rundown of what happened.

#17 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:16 PM

Ironman sorry to ***** your post

Cruisin.

Vicroads didnt recall all the rebuilt cars for no apparent reason. They where dodgy from the word go. A vast majority of them didnt comply to the relevant adr laws at the time. Most where just Jap cars with bear min of adr pieces added.

I had a couple of mates had their cars called in for a "recheck of relevant adr compliance". Guess what ?  No ones car passed. More money and more engineers sign offs and mods.

Ive worked with a couple of the engineers that got caught up in the aftermarth (One being Rowan Carter  http://cartech.com.au/) of all this and it cost a lot of people a lot of money. There where a heap of cars that where sold off

cheap on the recall process and the current owners at the time left with 5-20k holes in resale values as a result.

Then you start talking about the resale of them as most where brought in damaged and a opposite damaged aussie car brought and a hybrid car made. Some where brought in NSW (as Stat write offs) and

brought to Melb to register . These cars are unregisterable in some states. You then have the cars not matching up to history etc and what are you buying ?  You car for instance is regoed as a 99 but is a MY2003

by the look of it .

Speak to Snowball or Ben@ Ichiban as they both have combined prob 40 plus odd years Subaru experience and wont touch a rebuilt vin plated car.  Most ot the motor trade will not either. You will find its a common theme.

Get my user name right firstly. 

Your views are a generalisation and not indicative of every car out there as shown by Reevsey.

Great, dodgy cars were recalled and fixed. Id assume mine was too if it had an issue and now Ive benefited from the previous owners hole in their pocket. 

I didnt talk about resale either initially, you did.

PLEASE show us pictures of your GTB......

OEM+

#18 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:38 PM

And how do we know this car has ever set foot in Victoria? Too many assumptions going on here.

Start a thread... not being a smart arse either!  (For once)  It's a good healthy discussion and could help people in the future if they were able to find this info in an appropriate thread.

Regardless of what the fork your car is, Iren mon, it's pretty unique. I dig it mate! 

Seems there's a lot of interest in.  We don't see too many of these around these parts.

#19 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:54 PM

And how do we know this car has ever set foot in Victoria? Too many assumptions going on here.

Start a thread... not being a smart arse either!  (For once)  It's a good healthy discussion and could help people in the future if they were able to find this info in an appropriate thread.

Regardless of what the fork your car is, Iren mon, it's pretty unique. I dig it mate! 

Seems there's a lot of interest in.  We don't see too many of these around these parts.

Well said brother Kong.

Keen to see this car @ HVC2015, I bet I am not the only one either ???

#20 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,449 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:57 PM

Well said brother Kong.

Keen to see this car @ HVC2015, I bet I am not the only one either ???

You might have some turbos for HVC15 as well.

tIeW8DE.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users