#1 Krypton

Krypton

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Interests:Snow,Cars,Video games,ect

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:12 PM

So for the last few months I've been looking, researching, buying, and admiring a lot of the work that has been going into a lot of the club cars on here.
But let me say first of a lot of the poeple I have had a chance to talk to message and so forth have been a massive help, even to somebody they have never seen or meet.

So this is my story, I bought a Gen 3 outback 3-4 years ago for $3000 as a trad in. It had sheep skin seat covers a tape deck and 300,000km on the clock. It was the first and only Subaru I have bought and I remember when buying it the guy asked me if I had ever had one before. When replying "No' he said 'You will never want to drive anything els." He was right I loved it. I cannot see anything I would rather own it did everything light 4x4, tow trailers, camping, long trips fits in everything.

Now it's got 352,000km and was showing some age. A few months ago I got a job at Mt Hotham. When heading up the mountain with 3poeple and all the gear they need for 3months I had 4th let go and shatter. So with it blowing smoke other gears getting hit the 4th gear chunks making them sad what do I do. I have a car I love and does everything I want but sad mechanically. Well I start saving for engine swap.

I have already started on this project and the basic things I need done to make it run again.
So far I have gotten, well everything from here
Ej20tt half cut from ichiban Ben
02 wrx seats from Matt
And Scopped bonnet from Mark Still need to pick up
Massive thanks to all these guy for helping the start of this project happen

This is my project so far

Attached File  image.jpg   157.95KB   25 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   163.04KB   25 downloads
This is what I had to start with
Attached File  image.jpg   112.53KB   26 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   121.38KB   24 downloads
Now time to paint
Attached File  image.jpg   137.39KB   26 downloads
I know this might not be everybody's cup of tea. But with saying that it's my vision and my car
Attached File  image.jpg   106.11KB   26 downloads
And that's it so far. Oh this is the half cut I'm about to put back in
Attached File  image.jpg   157.98KB   26 downloads
As for putting it back together I would love to be linked some other builds to read incase I missed any. Or even commen problems that's poeple have come across doing a build like this would be awsome.
I'll also add that this is the start of something I very much enjoying and hope to have it finished soon so I can come out of some cruises and meets.
?? I did this on my phone and have no idea why the pic are upside down (they arnt on my phone) Any help? Haha

Updates and a few photos i found

Attached File  Twin turbo outback.JPG   140.17KB   11 downloads

Attached File  Iphone 1408.JPG   265.79KB   10 downloads

Attached File  Iphone 1867.JPG   128.21KB   9 downloads

Ever so practical

Attached File  Iphone 1922.JPG   227.69KB   9 downloads

From track day

Attached File  Iphone 2013.JPG   173.13KB   11 downloads

So i thought i should write a list of whats been done and have a to do list to mark off to keep me motivated.

I would like to say before you read this

I am more than happy to here your opinions on why, why not's, you should try this and why the would you do that ya dick head? 

Done Not Done

OUTSIDE LOOKS

Eye lids (On there way from japan)

Zerosports black carbon fiber grill (On there way from japan)

Sti spoiler (On there way from japan)

XV rims (undecided not sure if they would fit over 4 pots) 

Respray  Metallic orange over Black

New garnish (one i have is cracked)

Monsoon's

Driving lights -Hella or Light Force havn't looked into sizes yet

Custom Plate's (Ordered) If you are bothering reading this the plates i have gotten are SOSICK 

SUSPENSION AND HANDLING 

Bilstien shocks

Sti springs

Camber adjustment top mounts

Zerosports 21mm rear sway bar (On there way from japan)

Front sway bar

Sti strut brace  (On there way from japan)

Looking into more bracing 

BRAKES 

4/2 Pot combo

I know the Liberty 06 GT's would be better but as im not an expert on these things i think i'm better off staying with something that i can get info and parts for easily.

Ns400 Brake pads

DBA T3 4000 Rotors

Braided lines

Beatrush booster bracket (Will be one of the last things. If i dont think i need it i wont bother)

5.1 Brake fluid

STEREO

Current 

Alpine UTE-42EBT Head unit

Stock Fronts

Rockford Fosgate 6inch Rears

Rockford Fosgate 3001 amp

Kenwood cheap as hell 12inch Sub in homemade box

Future

Alpine UTE-42EBT Head unit

Focal 6.5" Flax 3 way PS165F3 Fronts

Focal  6.5" Flax 2 way PS165FX Rears

Rockford Fosgate P600X4 Amp for Speakers

Rockford Fosgate 10"Slim Sub T1S210

Rockford Fosgate P1000X2 Amp for Subs

(Yea im a bit of a sound nut)

INTERIOR

Blackout cluster

02 Wrx Seats

Brushed metal look surround

Sti pedals

Gfb short shifter

Ridiculous over sized 12" JDM dildo bubble gear nob

LED interior lighting

Full black interior

Sunroof?

Center console with a cup holder (Still have the slot where the Low range was)

​Fire extinguisher 

GAUGES

Defi Racer Boost

Defi Racer Oil pressure

AEM A/F Ratio

Prosports Intercooler temp in/out

^^^These will be in a custom dash mount (move alot keep passengers occupied) 

Defi Racer Oil temp

Defi Racer Water temp

^^^These will go in a pillar, might have to be custom as well as i dont think you can get them (easier to see and more impotent for track days)

ENGINE BAY

Sti brace

Green vacuum hoses

Paint intake red

Zerosports radiator cooler

Zerosports air intake

CAI (Heard the Process West MY01-MY07 would fit a BH???)

D1 Spec oil catch can (On its way)

Beatrush belt cover

Blitz FMIC pipeing

Some bigger injectors (Haven't looked into it yet on what cc i should get) Along with fuel pump so forth 

Manifold spacers (again haven't looked into it is 8-9mm to high?)

Earthing kit

New heater hoses

Better radiator

Braided fuel lines

Bolt dress up kit

GFB in car adjustable BOV

Bonnet gas struts 

Can you get or fit any of the silicon air intake on that go under the manifold?

Clear timing belt covers (Witch i found have now been made as of Nov last year, ill put a link if anybody wants to have a look)

EXHAUST

Zerosports manifold

Custom dumps (2 1/2 off primer y 3 off secondary)

3inch single muffler 200 cell cat

Keep the tip i have on

After having a look at what i want with it all written down i think this might be a long project haha

If you got to here congrats there is a bit there. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts

Attached File  Iphone 1890.PNG   758.54KB   10 downloads

#2 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:15 PM

Swwweeeet! !

Posted Image

#3 Krypton

Krypton

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:20 PM

I did this of my phone and have no idea why the pics are upside down haha. Note they where not like this on my phone , any help haha

#4 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:23 PM

Sweet jesus yes someone who knew to get a half cut for the conversion without having to be told 1000000x times. Looking forward to updates. Would be good to see you at the Christmas BBQ, even if its not in the outback  :drinks:

tIeW8DE.png

#5 Hypnotic

Hypnotic

Everything you see is an hallucination

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,835 posts
  • Interests:long walks behind abandoned buildings.

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:28 PM

Looking good.

As soon as she hands it to you, slowly take of your pants, then, while staring her straight in the eyes rub it against the tip of you penis, while continuing your painfully intense gaze whisper to her;

"My eye is watering, this might be a bit hot"

I should just convert to single, right?

Horsepower Factory

Revzone Auto Tuning Centre

#6 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:04 PM

Loving on the gen3 love on here :D

This thread has HEAPS of info you need.

http://www.subyclub....swap-questions/

Keep up the good work!

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#7 Krypton

Krypton

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:14 PM

Sweet jesus yes someone who knew to get a half cut for the conversion without having to be told 1000000x times. Looking forward to updates. Would be good to see you at the Christmas BBQ, even if its not in the outback  :drinks:

Well it all works out pretty cheap for what you get. From reading the post, it also seems to be the most hassle free way, everything you need is there plus spares. But I will try to get to the Christmas BBQ It will not be painted I only did the engine bay for the moment. Might as well if the motor is out.

Loving on the gen3 love on here :D
This thread has HEAPS of info you need.
http://www.subyclub....swap-questions/
Keep up the good work!

Cheers man appreciate it

#8 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:45 PM

mint. good luck with the rest of the conversion :)

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#9 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:51 AM

Good stuff, mate.

#10 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 06:37 AM

Awesomeness! I'm jealous of your seats.

Cam's already pointed to my thread - I only completed this a couple of months ago so most of it is still fresh in my mind.

Mine was RevA-C - but it shouldn't be too different.

A couple of points to consider, other than the obvious, off the top of my head.

•  Are you keeping the outback lift? If so - you'll need to dissassemble the crossmembers, then combine the bits to provide a lifted turbo version consisting of the TT longitudinal piece and outback cross pieces (which have the lift blocks)
  • Gearbag ?  Dual range or from cut?  There's a couple of minor things I had to do to the slave cyl on the dual range to make it clear the new TT bits (spaced from the box with washers and rotate the banjo bolt). Your outback is a later rev from mine, so you'll need to see if you have the dreaded dual-mass flywheel. 
  • you need to lose the passenger-side subframe corner bracket thing - it won't clear the dumps
  • Ditto the hill hold - needs to be removed. You'll need to carefully remove the one or two replacement (non-hill hold) brake lines from the cut and replace the ones in the outback. This is fairly fiddly, as they're easy to bend.  The outback ones are easier to remove with cutters :)
  • Keeping the outback hubs? I had to splice the outback ABS sensors onto the TT loom - plugs are different
  • If you have a TT gear-oil stick, use it.  I went to check my gear oil the other day and the standard (short) stick is bloody difficult to get to, and can oly just be pulled out with some wiggling once all the turbo stuff is in place.
  • The cruise vacuum actuator will most likely need to be relocated. Certainly the outback cruise cable isn't long enough (I think Josh replaced his with a WRX one with success). You'll also need to steal the cruise wiring from the outback loom and join it up (just tape it on) with the dash loom from the cut. There's isn't much to it, but its a messy job removing it from the outback loom. Do this BEFORE you put the dash back in!
  • See my notes on the clutch switches. You'll need the clutch-in sense for the TT ECU (to start), and I kept the clutch-out sensor for the cruise (when I get around to plumbing it back in!)
  • See Ben's notes early in my thread. This saved me heaps of thinking. Basically use all the electrics from the cut from the dash forward (including cluster, steering switchgear, AC, etc etc).

(EDIT: I see your 'box blew up - so I guess you're going for the one from the cut.  Just make sure you have a matching diff!)

#11 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 06:42 AM

Oh, and some pictures to keep you motivated :)

completion.jpg

DSC_0549.jpg

#12 Krypton

Krypton

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:28 AM

Yea have been over this tread a few times it's great. But a for the gearbox I got a full rear asembaly with the halfcut and a liberty drive line for it. The cut come with bilstiens so I'm going to put them in. Awsome I wasn't to sure about the hill start. But cheers I really wanted to keep the cruis. At work so I'll add some more later.

#13 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:30 AM

Nice progress. :)

OEM+

#14 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:55 AM

Great build!

Looking forward to seeing the progress :)

IM47Gcv.jpg

#15 Krypton

Krypton

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:21 PM

Hey guys im currently looking for wiring diagrams for the outback and a bh5.

90% is all working out great but just a couple of things like door mirrors/eletric windows have some diferent wires. I have been searching but thought if anybody has this of the top of there head it would be greatly appreciated. I'll keep looking of course just thought i would put this out there just incase.

#16 AB501UT!0N

AB501UT!0N

Blitzen...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Fish and IT!

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:39 PM

If you need a second set of eyes or a bh5 and be5 to help as a reference just let me know fellow Bendigonian!

http://www.subyclub....rkshop-manuals/

#17 Krypton

Krypton

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:58 PM

If you need a second set of eyes or a bh5 and be5 to help as a reference just let me know fellow Bendigonian!

http://www.subyclub....rkshop-manuals/

Ah awsome seems to be a couple from Bendigo i'll have to keep an eye out on the road. I think i may have found the problem regoing thro some threads. and i have put it down to the light's in the visor but ill double check in the morn, to late now. And still have now idea what colors haha. But other wise i think its all going pritty smooth.

Ended up taking it to my machinic as it is my daily driver. Going in helping after work. I would love to do this myself but just havnt got the time to have it off the road.

#18 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:44 PM

Hey guys im currently looking for wiring diagrams for the outback and a bh5.

90% is all working out great but just a couple of things like door mirrors/eletric windows have some diferent wires. I have been searching but thought if anybody has this of the top of there head it would be greatly appreciated. I'll keep looking of course just thought i would put this out there just incase.

I didn't have anything odd in the door wiring - was plug and play with the outback door harnesses and donor dash/firewall loom.

The only thing that didn't match up was the outback vanity lights in the sun visors... as you've mentioned above.

I needed to wire them in seperately to a power source using a empty pin in the door harness plugs.

Be careful - I stupidly wired mine to permanent power, which is probably not what you want.

Note also that often the colours don't seem to match the publicly available manuals.

#19 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:02 PM

The mirror wires might be different because of the JDM elec folding type mirrors.

My cut is fitted with the "cold pack" heated mirrors, windscreen deicer & maybe heated seats, so once again more wires.

Also most GTB / RSK's had the puddle lamps @ the back of the front doors, so extra wires for that too.

Cheers

#20 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:21 PM

My cut is fitted with the "cold pack" heated mirrors, windscreen deicer & maybe heated seats, so once again more wires.

You have a half cut?????

lel

tIeW8DE.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users