• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#141 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:07 PM

Mate a neat write up!

I love the learning curve of these projects! Going to get a second one on the go to completely DIY yourself as a dedicatd track vehicle?? :P

As other have said, I too am not sold on the thought of orange over black. I reckon the black will detract from the awesome orange. My thought would be to consider a dark satin grey instead, not as heavy as the black plus the black trim already in the car will break it up for a very sweet combo in my imagination. And those link bits under the bonnet on the orange... Yeah, not sure on that either!

But it is your car and you need to find what works for you!

Looking forward to catching up with you and this beast again. I'll have to pull my finger out to sort my beast for an intro ;)

Question: that pic looking down on your outback, where was it taken? I can't pick where it is around benders!

Keep up the good work. The rear spoiler will look so sick once the car is all painted! :P

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#142 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:04 PM

Spewing I linked that wing to you..... Now Im not the only one. :P

Coming along Nicely, will look good once all painted. 

OEM+

#143 Krypton

Krypton

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Interests:Snow,Cars,Video games,ect

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:40 PM

I'd love to do a track only car, but as soon as I get this to a desent standed I have a panelvan project to get on the road.
Hmm dark grey isn't a bad one to think about about useing. And the photo was at the poppet head in Molden.

Haha We had this talk before your one come in. But wow it sits close with the tailgate open.

#144 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:37 PM

Also, that's a BIG wing! Any GenIII variants that have the middle wing on the tail gate? It's great when out bush, not that your end goal will ever see it out there!

PSq69o.jpg

And have you done anything about upgrading the fuel pump yet? I remember the convo with Hypnotic at the meet about it. Better get onto it!

Maldon, another town built on an old mine field! Awesome pic none the less.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#145 Krypton

Krypton

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 12:18 AM

Wow I've been gone a couple of weeks and I got some builds to catch up on. From what I've seen everybody is making some mad progress. Thought this is due for a lil update, I haven't done to much got a little bit of painting done, eye lids and installed the catch can. I'll put a piece in the how to if it hasn't been done yet( haven't checked yet) look forward to reading up on the rest of your rides.
Attached File  image.jpg   236.37KB   7 downloads
Photos are coming in side ways and stuff on my phone so I'll need to update on the computer at a later stage

#146 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 10:10 AM

Damn son.

Looking good.

Needs some 17" GD WRX rims.

#147 Krypton

Krypton

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 10:56 AM

Cheers man. I was thinking those or these enkei 17 gta's, change the colour on them tho
Attached File  image.jpg   168.96KB   5 downloads

#148 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 11:21 AM

Hmm, well 17" suby wheels are dime a dozen, so will be cheaper while you find the perfect aftermarkets. If you go the orange all over, some gloss black rims, or white would look mint.

#149 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 19 June 2015 - 11:26 AM

Hmm, well 17" suby wheels are dime a dozen, so will be cheaper while you find the perfect aftermarkets. If you go the orange all over, some gloss black rims, or white would look mint.

This

Those enkeis are hot. Remind me of the STi Rays wheels. Idk how theyd look on a gen 3 though

tIeW8DE.png

#150 Krypton

Krypton

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:11 PM

I know i haven't been on here to update this in a little bit. But for 2 reasons 1 i haven't done to much and 2nd i have been away for the last 3-4 months working up at Hotham ski resort.

I haven't got much to update except that while driving with the car fully loaded to head away for the last few months. I had a guy smash into the back of me at the last set of lights out of town. The car in front hit the skids went left, i hit the skids went right and the red P plater behind me went straight into the back of me while having heaps of room to avoid (this isnt a dig at all people on the P's. Just that this shows another reason as what a drivers crash course that should be mandatory could have avoided) Luckly with me pulled out to the right side he just managed to hit the chase rail dead on. Me bent exuast and need a new rear bumper. The Ford Broken bumper, headlight, bonnet, guard. Suby 1 Ford 0.

Attached File  Snow 2015 035.JPG   145.54KB   8 downloads

Attached File  Snow 2015 036.JPG   131.58KB   8 downloads

I know it might not look like much but none of the bumper meet's up with anything now. Thankfully he had insurance. All this should be fixed in the next couple of week's

Few extra's from the snow

Attached File  Snow 2015 054.JPG   49.12KB   8 downloads

Road's on the way up

Attached File  Snow 2015 548.JPG   130.6KB   8 downloads

When i had to dig my car out

Attached File  Snow 2015 897.JPG   236.49KB   8 downloads

And parking next to a couple of my work mate's that have good taste

As for my drive home i was not able to drop a gear to slow down when going the Mt, also had some real bad slippage on the way up. As soon as i got home up onto the stand's the car went and ordered myself a Exedy HD to put in. Not the easiest job i have done, but i was able to do so even with the little bit of knowledge i thought i had. Learnt a lot more about my car too, like the fact i have alloy control arms witch was nice to find. I'll give an update on what i think about it after i run it in a little bit more but so far it's going well.

Attached File  After snow and ckutch 012.JPG   195.58KB   8 downloads

Some late night's

Attached File  After snow and ckutch 036.JPG   176.71KB   8 downloads

Get all the use you can #downtotherivits 

Attached File  After snow and ckutch 031.JPG   207.45KB   8 downloads

Decided against getting a light wight after looking at the price to Pro's/Con's money could be better spent else where. Plus the guy's did i nice job at machining it.

Attached File  After snow and ckutch 047.JPG   131.43KB   8 downloads

After a few night's and learning some new cus words it was in. I must say im very proud of myself for this :)

Now i can concentrate on better things like GFB Bov and new wheels/Brakes. While saying that i am having a bit of trouble trying to find some good wheels with a +55 Offset everything seems to be 48 or 35 witch i thought would give wheel poke. So what are you guys able to get away with for offset and width. Can it be changed to give a better offset without hitting the springs

Sorry such a long post just been busy from getting back and haven't had the time to update slowly

#151 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:46 PM

<3 long posts haha. Youd be wanting 48 on an outback. +55 looks stupidly sunken into the guards. *cough cough* Simon...

tIeW8DE.png

#152 Krypton

Krypton

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 05:40 PM

And to ansa the question from ages ago. There is a mid wing for these, but not to sure about it and got many thing's to do before anymore cosmetic work is done.

And awesome thought they would fit but wasnt sure. I'm guessing about 8"wide is probly the limit tho

#153 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 30 October 2015 - 06:18 PM

Unless you get lucky,and do your research on what rim will fit without guard work, 7.5 is generally the limit on gen 3's. You can fit bigger, but generally that is the limit without extra work.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#154 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:22 AM

<3 long posts haha. Youd be wanting 48 on an outback. +55 looks stupidly sunken into the guards. *cough cough* Simon...

Fork you Nicko.

Zero clearance issues for me.

I guess with the neg camber I'm running, a bit less offset would be ok.

Nice updates Krypton.

#155 Krypton

Krypton

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:05 AM

Wow, over 2 years and I haven't had a single thing to update. Well spose thats what happens when it's been sitting in the shed broken. Yes I still own it, yes I still will finish the things I have set out to do. Been a full on couple of years. Good to see a lot of you still here and been good reading up on other people's builds (new and old)
But it's time to get active on this thing again. First thing I need to do to get it running again is a gearbox. And with this new job driving trucks I have been able to put away alot faster than I thought I would. So my hunt starts with trying to find a DCCD 6speed conversion that will come with a set of Brembos. Any places you have dealt with or recommend would be good. Some of the places I used to source parts have closed. Didn't bother posting earlier asking for places I could ring until I had cash waiting. Now that I have said cash, I would like to depart with it so I can get car parts.
Good to be back, looking forward to reconnecting with some old and new people.

#156 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:53 AM

Long time no see. 

Someone like Rising Sun Subaru or maybe Ichiban would be a good place to start. 

tIeW8DE.png

#157 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:55 AM

BCS has one that may suit. https://www.ebay.com...w8AAOSw5utabmOy

#158 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:53 PM

Hey Krypton!

Always wondered where you ended up! Glad you're back and are still persisting with your outback build.

We all know what it's like having our pride and joy broken. My "best" one was the l series off-roader, broke the box on the Dedick track in the Snowy River National Park - got skull dragged out of there from about the halfway mark, left in Orbost for a week before being trailer home to Shepp (now back in benders). Took me a year to source parts and put the box back together. Using a phase 2 box was an issue for a while :/

Anyway, I'm looking forward to a catch up at some stage, whether it's locally or in Melbs ;)

All the best with sourcing the parts and we'll see you back on the road again ;)

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#159 Krypton

Krypton

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:02 PM

Barbbachello

Ichiban was one of the first places I called, they were very helpful when I got my half cut from them. Rising sun i'll give a call. 

I sent an e-mail off to JDM Racing motors (located in the US) to see how I could go about shipp one of there kits. Comes with everything I need except Slave and master cylinder. But there kits do come with Brembo brakes. Just comes down to what it will cost me in import tax.

duncanm

Cheers for the help, had a look. But I need one Pre 07 so I can get the speedo reading from the box.

I know i can convert it, but I want to try and make this conversion as painless as I can haha Thats why im happy going a full kit instead of going the cheaper route of getting a diff from this car that from that car.

El_Freddo

Yea man, Ive been floating around, doing smaller projects and helping out my mates in there shed with there project's. Be good for another cruise with the subaru's again. Would like to set a goal for HVC but I dont think i'll make that if I have to import parts.

I've seen Bryce around on the odd occasion he still has the black Gen4 Blitzen. Also been taking a young guy out on his L's in his 74 corolla he built himself, recently got his license and got a Gen4.

Been having alot of information to read trying to work other thing's like what diff ratio's I want and if I should get a Helical LSD or a A.P Suretrac and what the difference of the 2 is. At the start I was tossing up should I get hubs with 5x100 or go 114.3 from more wheel options, thats at the bottom of the list now haha. So i'll do my best to find the answers I need but I know at some point i'll prob ask something that has been asked 1,000 times before.

But cheer's for the welcome back, would have thought everyone would have forgotten me haha

#160 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:27 PM

With the later boxes you can get magic boxes that conver the ABS wheel speed sensors into a VSS signal for the cluster and ecu. Similar cost to the speedo drive machinging but can do it in your shed.

As for going 114.3 is a big job on gen 3s needing custom machining etc

tIeW8DE.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users