• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rimfire06

Rimfire06

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:55 AM

Hey guys, the other day I changed my valve cover and spilt a fair amount oil over the exhaust and now is producing a shit load of smoke when it warms up..
What's the best way to deal with this?
Just hit everything with degreaser

#2 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 10 December 2014 - 11:11 AM

Degreaser will smoke a shit load as well if you dont rinse it all off or you could just park it somewhere and let it burn off

tIeW8DE.png

#3 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 11:15 AM

go for a long and fast drive?

#4 Rimfire06

Rimfire06

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:51 PM

No chance of it catching fire? Ive gone for 2 20-30 minute drives and its still smoking like an 18 year old pot head who just moved out of home. 

#5 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 10 December 2014 - 06:34 PM

Tried hosing it off. Take it to a carwash and pressure wash it off maybe being careful of electronics of course

tIeW8DE.png

#6 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 10 December 2014 - 06:46 PM

Pressure wash on 'hot' is about the only thing that will work if you can get to it with the gun. Besides that, burning it off is your only real option. Degreaser will smoke just as bad as the oil if you dont get it all off like Barbbachello has said.

I'm assuming you spilt it over the headers? if so, take off the heat sheilds and give it a spray them with a high pressure washer, of course you'll have to do it at home with a gerni or similar because getting the headers sprayed at the wash place is almost impossible to do without getting wet yourself, and if you care about your interior, I wouldnt get in with out a set of clean clothes... Spray both the sheilds and the bare headers, there will be some residual oil hanging around the heat sheilds if you leave them on.

Cheers,

Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#7 Rimfire06

Rimfire06

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:35 PM

Cheers guys. Will give it a try tomorrow

#8 levy-92

levy-92

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts