• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ironman

ironman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:08 PM

So I was just about to take my recently acquired 03 B4 for a drive for the first time in a week.

The clutch isn't engaging at all.

Pedal is really light, compared to what used to be.

There was a slight shudder/slipping last time I drove (I just moved it 30m away), but i didn't think anything of it at the time.

First thing I checked was the Clutch fluid reservoir, it was under the minimum level, so i topped it up. Same issue.

Clutch was perfectly fine the week before, no signs of wear.

Any advice?

Cheers

#2 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:09 PM

tried bleeding it?

tIeW8DE.png

#3 ironman

ironman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:32 PM

I'm supposed to pump the clutch in order to bleed it out right? The clutch is not engaging, so the fluid wouldn't bleed out?

#4 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:34 PM

Get someone to get in and pump the clutch a few times while you look at the master cylinder and levels. Also watch the flex lines, if they bellow out during a down stroke, you'll need to replace the line that's bellowing out. When you do this, take the intercooler off and watch the action of the slave cylinder too. If it's not pushing the fork properly you might need to replace one of the cylinders. You might just have air in the system from the low level.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#5 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:35 PM

I'm supposed to pump the clutch in order to bleed it out right? The clutch is not engaging, so the fluid wouldn't bleed out?

Youre trying to bleed the air out no the fluid. If you know how to bleed brakes its the same procedure 

tIeW8DE.png

#6 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:35 PM

Clutches can be painful. Best of luck man.

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#7 ironman

ironman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:00 PM

Get someone to get in and pump the clutch a few times while you look at the master cylinder and levels. Also watch the flex lines.

Checked the levels on the master as someone pumped the clutch, fluid level didn't budge. Flex lines? Where would I find those? Engine bay is so packed compared to what I'm used to.

I keep being told that its either a master or slave cylinder issue. Does this seems right? Or could it be something else, (Clutch, gearbox)?

#8 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:06 PM

The flex lines are the rubber ones. The solid lines are smaller and made of steel or whatever steel brake lines are made of (probably aluminium). Probably right, but best to check the basic possibilities first, cost you nothing but your time to do so.

#9 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:11 PM

Master could be passing fluid, but see what someone else says who is more experienced with brakes and clutch systems. Might even be worth giving it to a mechanic who knows their stuff. Nothing beats a diagnosis when the problem is in front of you, rather than randoms behind a keyboard. I know it's a pretty good community here, but still. The only reason I say check the lines is I've had problems with them before. Not on my car, but a mates 2000 wrx. So it's something I always check now.

#10 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:07 PM

does it just drop to the floor ?

Like others said - bleed it.

I found one way to do this is to  force fluid into the slave bleed nipple with a 100ml syringe.

You'll need to remove the intercooler.

#11 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:00 AM

Take it to a mechanic, dude.

No offence intended but it sounds like this is beyond your experience. Taking off and replacing an intercooler on these can be a trying task for even a seasoned mechanic.

I'm not saying it isn't possible to take care of this yourself but you will need to do some research.

Alternately, if you are close enough to me I'd be happy to take a look at it.

#12 ironman

ironman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:58 PM

So, I had a mobile mechanic check it out today. He just jumped in and tested the clutch, it worked fine for him. Drove fine and shifted into gears properly. He reckons it was a sticky pressure plate?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users