Photo

Anyone playing with different cam grinds?

Cam grind ej22

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:22 PM

G'day

Has anyone played around with better cam grinds for the EJ22e?

I've read loads of threads that swear by the "delta cam grind" in the US - but really think I could save some cost by getting a local place to do a grind for me.

I'm looking for more low down torque to help when offroading. My vehicle is not setup as a road hugging power house but it does alright for what I want to do on the black top.

Any input from members who have gone down a similar route would greatly appreciated as I'm still on the fence with this one due to cost of the grind and the effort to fit the cams (found out I need to remove the engine in my situation to fit cams)

Regards

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#2 crjohnson

crjohnson

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:31 PM

I've got a set of delta 1500 cams waiting to go in my new engine (ej25 sorry). I rang around and no one could do them in oz or even NZ. Can't remember exactly what I piad but it was around the $350-400 to send mine and have them reground. Careful of you do get cams, make sure you check the coil bind! No one on the USA seems to mention any problems with it but we weren't happy with how close the valve springs were to binding. Have had to order new springs from super tech

#3 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:57 PM

Thanks for the tip on the spring coil bind, I've never thought about that!

I'll have to ask locally here in shepp to see what can be done and at what price. If all is good they can sit on the shelf for a while as I'm hoping not to have to have any down time on this - I'm getting over its recent list of break downs but they can also be expected. The positive is that I get to play shed while Ruby Scoo only goes from strength to strength :D

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cam grind, ej22

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users