Photo

Anyone do their own gearbox work? Got a question...

Gearbox split gearbox gearbox modifications gearbox mods

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 09 March 2015 - 06:04 PM

G'day all,

I'm now in the throws of returning my gearbox back to one piece - was a good feeling until I had the front cases bolted up and couldn't select reverse.  I bit the bullet and pulled it apart again to find that the SG reverse slide gear is larger than the L series unit but has the same number of teeth with the same spacing.

I've swapped that over and bench tests with the gear sets in place work well.  But once the cases are torqued up it's a no go, only seems to get halfway there and the gear is not engaging.

Is this due to not having the required leverage to select reverse, even in the vehicle it's the gear you usually need to give a bit of force with.

I really don't want to put it all back together only to find out that I can't reverse my subi out of the shed!  It's getting frustrating.  I've had these front cases apart three times now!  Cleaning them up is not fun nor quick!

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this situation!

Regards

Bennie

"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gearbox, split gearbox, gearbox modifications, gearbox mods

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users