17 replies to this topic

#1 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:16 AM

Hey guys, up until the other day, my car never backfired at all, now it does when cold, but is fine when warmed up.

It's always taken more turns to start than normal petrol engines and never thought anything of it, but with the backfiring I'm wondering if they're connected? Some searching suggests an injector may be leaking? I have no idea.

Btw wrx turbo engine if it helps

I think tuning is a crime of passion, or maybe a labour of love. Either way it furiates and excites me.

#2 glenisanutter

glenisanutter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Interests:Snowbording, Dirt Bike, SUBY

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:01 PM

Mind does the same thing. Its the engine telling you to be nice until its warmed up!

#3 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:22 PM

It never used to though! I also got a backfire when I backed off from high rpm and high boost... does yours take longer to turn over and start than normal?
Oh I should add if I turn the key a little, stop then turn it again, my car starts straight away

I think tuning is a crime of passion, or maybe a labour of love. Either way it furiates and excites me.

#4 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:29 PM

Oh I should add if I turn the key a little, stop then turn it again, my car starts straight away

Sounds like a leaking injector to me. The test is: When cold prime the fuel three or four times by turning the key to the "ON" position, wait a few seconds, then OFF to ON wait a few seconds... you get the drift.

Then try starting it and seeing if it starts quicker/first go.

As for the popping - you'll have a cylinder either not firing properly or a small leak in the exhaust that's allowing air into the exhaust on off throttle deceleration, this allows the fuel mix that's passed through the cylinders unburnt to create the pop. Or this is also a side effect of the leaking injector - now it's just leaking worse...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#5 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:33 PM

Thanks freddo. My fuel pump runs constantly, but I don't think it's connected to the ecu, so I can't tell if it's pressurising the fuel line or not. I read that even if the fuel line doesn't pressure up, the ecu will cut the pump after 5 or 8 seconds or something. Mine never stops

#6 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:43 PM

5ed85161353303059f104955550a930c.jpg
This is a picture of my injector. I think sti are side feed right? What size do I get? 555cc? I don't have any mods other than full exhaust and a boost controller atm

#7 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:20 PM

Thanks freddo. My fuel pump runs constantly, but I don't think it's connected to the ecu, so I can't tell if it's pressurising the fuel line or not. I read that even if the fuel line doesn't pressure up, the ecu will cut the pump after 5 or 8 seconds or something. Mine never stops

That's not right! ADRs make them so the fuel pump stops. Dunno that the ECU does it or if it's a pulse signal after initial prime to keep it going, haven't looked that up in ages. I'd be trying to rectify that!

Dunno about the injector sizes. I'm an NA bloke, may get a turbo someday, but for now I'm happy with NAs and old school subi's ;)

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#8 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:22 PM

Yeah. I need to look into it for sure mate, apparently it used to have plug in engine management, but was returned to stock. I also can't use obd socket because it's not connected. Oh the joys. Thanks for your help though Bennie

#9 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:43 PM

No worries mate. I've just realised you're in benders. I frequent that place and am looking forward to moving back soon! Shepp sucks!

I'll keep an eye out for you when I'm in town, but it's a big place now :(

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#10 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:25 AM

Oh yeah? I'm working in Shep every now and then. Hard to miss my car ha ha. Give us a toot

#11 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:44 PM

Yellow injectors are 440cc's.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#12 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:07 PM

If you need a set of spares, I have a set here, just need to remove them from the manifold.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#13 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:56 AM

Thanks fellas.

So a set of 555cc would be an ok upgrade? Also, just to confirm, I have side feed injectors right?

#14 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:25 PM

Ok i've done some research, and unless I can get a tune (I can't with stock 98 ecu) then I need to get the same sized injectors. If my injector is stuffed, can it be rebuilt?

#15 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:38 PM

Yep, yellow tops are a side feed injector. And yes, if you can't tune, you won't be able to up the injector size. No idea about rebuilding of injectors sorry.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#16 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:38 PM

Just thought I'd do an update. Cleaning the injectors and replacing the o rings have stopped the misfiring and backfiring

#17 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 26 April 2015 - 08:27 PM

Great news.

Might be time to bring it down to Melb for the next Docklands meet.

We had a few of the Bendigo boys @ the last months meet.

#18 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:43 PM

It's on like a Wednesday night isn't it? I'd love to, but I'm a tradie and up early in the morning Beckers. Maybe though...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users