aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:40 PM

2015_04_02_subaru_brz_sti_performance_co

Subaru unveiled a turbo Subaru BRZ STI Concept car at the New York International Auto Show this week. Will this vehicle ever make it to production?

There has been more speculation about a Subaru 2.0-liter turbo BRZ STI than any other vehicle on the planet. Today, Subaru and Subaru Tecnica International STI, the performance division of Subaru, unveiled a BRZ STI Concept car that gives us an idea of what a BRZ enhanced by STI would look like. This Concept car goes beyond just concept and Subaru says the sports coupe signifies a plan for U.S.-expansion of STI, in its three core business areas; aftermarket parts, STI-tuned cars and motorsports.

Thats good news for performance fans as it shows Subaru is committed to the continuing creation of more STI-tuned Subaru vehicles introduced into the U.S. market in the future. Subaru has already begun expansion in the U.S. as STI has already stepped up their technical support of rallycross development with Vermont SportsCar who manages the SRT USA Global Rallycross cars. Rob Weir, Subaru Motorsports Marketing Manager stated, STI is increasing their support of our U.S. based efforts in rallycross. Their expertise and development resources will take our program to an even more competitive level.

More Subaru STI vehicles are coming

Subaru also says that more models tuned by STI will be available in the U.S. in the future. These STI-enhanced Subarus could feature more extensive modifications from the factory than previously offered, such as suspension, performance, braking, chassis and aerodynamic upgrades. Subaru also reports that STI-engineered parts will replace Subaru Performance Tuning (SPT) aftermarket parts in the U.S. market.

BRZ STI Concept developed from BRZ GT300

STI manages the race program for the 2015 BRZ GT300 that runs in the SUPER GT in Japan. The BRZ STI Performance Concept introduced at NYIAS showcases STIs engineering prowess and tuning capabilities as is powered by the engine developed by STI for the BRZ Super GT300 race car. It also features the GT300s suspension and chassis components and aerodynamic upgrades.

The BRZ STI Concept gets a 2.0-liter turbo engine

There has been much speculation about Subaru putting a 2.0-liter turbo in the BRZ. Yes, the Subaru BRZ STI Concept comes with a turbocharged 2.0-liter boxer. It comes with the same Rally-proven 2.0-liter Subaru Boxer EJ20 that powers the BRZ GT300 which has been tuned for road racing using technologies developed for the STI World Rally Championship (WRC) cars since the 1990s. The EJ20 has been modified to use a dry sump system, which has an external reservoir for oil. This allows the engine to have an even lower profile to lower vehicle height.

The intercooler and air intake are both front-mounted which enhances the ram effect of incoming air, consequently increasing the airflow through the air restrictor to the turbo for greater power development at high speeds. The crankshaft is the same as used in the WRC engines and has been specially designed for strength and reduced weight. The connecting rods are steel billet and the forged aluminum pistons have been specially designed for reduced size and weight. The BRZ GT300 races against cars with large-displacement, naturally aspirated engines, and STI uses a turbo unit to increase boost to remain competitive. Could a production 2.0-liter turbo BRZ STI be coming?

This info and more can be found here: http://www.torquenews.com/

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#2 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:45 PM

That, I like. Turbo makes it a million times better than the regular BRZ's rolling around.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#3 Stanley

Stanley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Subies.. duh

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:01 PM

So if someone could buy me one of these that would be great, good that they kept the EJ20

03' Subaru Impreza RS

#4 zahmad

zahmad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:22 PM

So it seems the old EJ can fit under the bonnet but not the FA20DIT?

#5 Harry88

Harry88

Soccer Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:22 PM

So many awesomes.

#6 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:38 PM

Looks hot,

EJ under the bonnet is a bonus.

#7 Bumpty

Bumpty

My wob dreams are now wet dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,489 posts
  • Interests:Drinking wine with wob by the legacy side

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:23 AM

Looks like a celica, meh..

Not Bumptys cup of tea.

#8 WillC

WillC

Scrappy Coco the 2nd! Disc0 Disc0

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Interests:Suby, HOONda, Chasing magical unicorns, turbos. Fruit loops
    Most things with a pulse. Most things that tick and have electric.

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:46 PM

This is a must for my future ..... Looks like the Gen 4 may stay stockies :S

Toy's Garry

Address : 8/88 Seville Street
Fairfield East NSW 2161
PH : (02) 9755 9882

#9 bluebrz

bluebrz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Two door cars / cycling / fishing

Posted 11 April 2015 - 07:08 PM

It looks like it might be AT , so no MT "fun to drive" factor.

Mega $$$$$ , more than a nissan GTR.

#10 bluebrz

bluebrz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Two door cars / cycling / fishing

Posted 11 April 2015 - 07:10 PM

So it seems the old EJ can fit under the bonnet but not the FA20DIT?

Not so - there are already a few with FA20DIT transplant , check them out on utube.

The EJ does not fit under the stock bonnet , notice the bulge on the modified bonnet.

#11 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:44 AM

It may not fit per say, but with the dry sump, that makes it a hell of a lot lower profile than a standard ej. That likely changed things.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#12 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 10:59 AM

Hi,

I never want to see the word WIDGET on my car UI.

An MX5 approach is where I wanted Subaru to go with this.

Cheers,

Nik

#13 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 12 April 2015 - 11:07 AM

Widgetlogo.jpg

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users