• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ansonii

Ansonii

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:57 PM

Hey, wondering if a 2005/6 wrx gearbox will bolt up to a 2000 rx Liberty? Mines a little bit crunchy as I think it's had a bit of a hard life, just found a cheapish box and diff on fb and i'm wondering if it'll bolt up? The diff isn't really important at the moment so that isn't the issue, just wondering if it'll physically work? Or are the wrx and 2.5 non turbo blocks too different? Thanks and sorry if it's been covered before, couldn't find anything!

#2 MrSober88

MrSober88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:51 PM

Where abouts are you located? I have a spare one out of my car before my conversion you can have for a pineapple

#3 Ansonii

Ansonii

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:12 PM

I'm on the sunshine coast, QLD, yeah i'm just wanting to know if it'll fit before I pull my gearbox out and find out the hard way that it doesn't.... Also would I need the wrx crossmember? Or modify the Liberty one? Or is it the same? Cheers

#4 Reevesy

Reevesy

Adriano

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:16 PM

Physically it will fit and bolt up, but the things you will need to work out is

If it uses the same style clutch either push or pull

The ratio matches up to your rear diff or you can get the matching diff

#5 Ansonii

Ansonii

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:16 PM

And thanks for the offer!

#6 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:19 PM

are the diff ratios the same? if they're not you'll need a rear diff 100%.

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#7 Ansonii

Ansonii

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:19 PM

The diff comes with it but no drive shaft... Ok well it's a MY00 Liberty BE9, 5 speed, I was considering going the ppg rwd spool while it's all out so I guess the upgraded diff from the wrx would be better, assuming it's different from what I now have? The rwd spool would depend on how cheap I manage to pick up the gearbox for....

#8 Lukeoly

Lukeoly

Make it BLAAACK!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Interests:Boost

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:46 PM

A bit of a thread revival but if you do end up going with the WRX box you could be in for a world of pain with parts compatibility. The WRX changed from a pull type clutch to a push type in '06 with the hawkeye. The BE Liberty has a push type so you should be okay there if it's from an 06.
Then there's the driveshafts; the Liberty box has axle stubs whereas the WRX uses male inner CVs.
Something else I found out in my conversion is that you need to use the WRX shift linkage.
I used the Liberty one at first thinking that it'd suit the car but it put the shifter either too far forward or too far back. I took it out and compared it to the WRX one I had and they looked the same. I figured I'd give the WRX one a go since the other one was already out and it's perfect.
I did a pretty decent search before and after this to find some info supporting this and found nothing.
I'd also recommend using your Liberty clutch as you'll probably have to get a matching flywheel if you use a WRX clutch (the flywheel profiles vary between model years)

ndvgQm2.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users