8 replies to this topic

#1 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:19 PM

Hi guys, I have a 98 WRX STi engine in my liberty that has a non-functioning OBD port (has power, but won't transmit data, and yes I've tried several ODB plugs and even subaru used their ones and couldn't get anything) And I also need to rewire the fuel pump, as it is currently not wired into the ecu.

I did find this one; http://www.southeast...read.php?t=6185

But it's not detailed enough for the OBD wiring, even if it is correct.

Could someone please forward on something more substantial please?

I think tuning is a crime of passion, or maybe a labour of love. Either way it furiates and excites me.

#2 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 05:36 PM

this shows where those wires go.. https://docs.google....mYtcHFINEk/edit

but it should be straightforward: SSM is two pin. Transmit Data, Receive Data. (EDITED) - SSM-1 is, but I think SSM-2 over the OBD port (rather than the older 9-pin plug in that schematic) uses the OBD lines and talks SSM protocol.

Pins B135(4,5) from your linked pic and my link above.

I'm guessing '98 won't be OBD, but you should be able to talk with freessm/openecu and an appropriate plug.

#3 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:50 PM

Oh? It's not OBD? Where would the diagnostic plug be located in that case? Somewhere with the ECU?

And thanks for the info. It's a pain having 2 different cars in one sometimes!

I think tuning is a crime of passion, or maybe a labour of love. Either way it furiates and excites me.

#4 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:56 PM

well - it has that big OBD plug under the fuse box in the RHS of the dash.. so OBD comms devices will physically plug into it, but it won't talk OBD-II protocol.

The OBD 'standard' was a bit fluid between makes - if your swap is a JDM STI, then it'll talk SSM through that same plug (I think... unless there's a 9-pin SSM plug also available). The Subaru guys should have been able to get it to work if it was wired up correctly.

My guess is whoever did the swap only spliced in the ECU <-> Engine part of the harness, and didn't bother with the diagnostic port wires.

Check continuity between the OBD plug and the ECU pins. The original dash harness should still bring the wires out near there, so you might find them if you're lucky.

#5 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:09 PM

That schematic I linked shows the 9-pin old SSM style plug..  so don't trust the pinout on it.

#6 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:43 AM

Ok.. apologies for the above rambling posts..

Here's the pre-OBD info.

If your ECM does OBD-I, then Pin 10 (Subaru pinout) on the OBD plug is the serial data line ('K' line in ISO-9141 speak), which needs to be connected to your ECM. !!Note: Subaru seems to use an upside-down pin assignment, this is pin-7 in normal OBD land. See here for more details

If the car is SSM (that schematic you linked to, V3/4 STI), it is a two wire serial signalling, which needs to go to pins 4, 5 (Subaru pinout) of the OBD plug for the Subaru SSM reader, which won't work with standard OBD readers. The wiring diagram I linked to looks like it has the Subaru proprietary 9-pin plug (as described here) to pins 2,3 for serial data.

If its any help, my '99 JDM uses the single-wire SSM/OBD-ish and I can use an OBD cable with software that supports SSM.

#7 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:18 PM

So I *SHOULD* Be able to wire up the OBD2 port (stock liberty one) to the OBD wiring from the V4 ECU? If they haven't done so? I believe the owner before me was running aftermarket ecu and replaced it with stock, and may not have reconnected everything...

Thanks for the help guys :)

#8 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:17 AM

Sorry to bump an old thread guys but now my esl chip is on it way, I was hoping for some more info. I have purchased the ssm cable from esl and will splice into the ecu harness at the ecu to connect It, but I *think* under the dash with the diagnostic plugs is the ssm plug? It's yellow if that helps. I don't have a pic of it, but I'm wondering if it is that plug and it doesn't work, I should be able to hook it up?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

#9 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 11:15 AM

Spliced in to 4 and 5 of B135 for ssm cable on the ecu. But that hasn't allowed me to use the damn thing

EDIT: reinstalled drivers. No problem. Up and running!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users