• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ansonii

Ansonii

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:51 AM

Hey all, have almost sorted out the suspension on my gen 3 Liberty and now it's time to move onto the brakes, it seems quite expensive going the wrx brakes route I know his would be the quck and easy way of fixing my problem but i'm wondering if there is another route? What I was thinking is pulling apart the old brakes and rebuilding them, putting in good pads qfm possibly? (Suggestions?) and braded brake lines and maybe a brake master cyl stopper? Obviously new good fluid as well, Will this make my brakes much better? Or would it be a waste of time, energy and money? Thanks in advance

#2 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:56 AM

Unless you have a B4 or GTB etc you could get a set of those brakes. Bigger 2 pot caliper and the same front rotor as a WRX. Rear goes to a vented disc. Shouldnt be too expensive as most people get rid of them for 4 pots/brembos etc

tIeW8DE.png

#3 Ansonii

Ansonii

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:01 PM

So rebuilding would be a waste of time?
And yes just a gen 3 rx 2.5
With bendix pads

#4 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:04 PM

Rebuilding is probably a waste of time if they arent leaking. New pads, lines, rotors and a stopper as you suggested wouldnt be bad by any means. But if youre going to all that cost why not spend a little more and get some bigger gear

tIeW8DE.png

#5 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:24 PM

If it were me I'd go the GT-B brakes as they run a 316mm rotor (you will need 17' wheels). The std RX brakes are 277mm and the B4's run a 294mm.

It's more about the rotor diameter than the number of pistons in the caliper. The twin piston GT-B brakes, to me anyway, work better than the 294's running 4 pot WRX calipers.

There is a bloke on liberty.asn wrecking a 30R-B, and the brakes were still available yesterday at a reasonable price, just remember that only the fronts are a bolt in option.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#6 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:37 PM

Outbacks also run 294mm on the fronts, as did 2003+ Foz (see  brake FAQ

Definitely do brake lines - the original ones are pretty old by now.  I don't know if the braided lines make a noticeable diff when lines are new, but the HEL ones are pretty cheap, so why not.

#7 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:41 PM

Myles is selling a whole setup, lines, rotors pads and all... I'd grab that!  http://www.subyclub....iberty-goodies/

#8 Ansonii

Ansonii

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 01:02 PM

Is a little out of my price range considering itd have to be posted and then I'll have to post my brakes to him too

#9 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2015 - 01:36 PM

I have B4 calipers and 294mm rotors for sale. Cheap.

#10 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 19 May 2015 - 02:06 PM

Unless you have an 02-03 rx. I'm pretty sure they ran the same brakes as the B4's. Best option is getting a set of brakes from a gen 4 GT. Bigger fronts. Cheaper than the wrx gear. And the rears won't matter that much. Stock rears will certainly suffice, unless you are going turbo conversion and need it certified for mod plates.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#11 craig_

craig_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:38 PM

If you upgrade the rears to GTB (290x18) vented rears then you will need to bend, cut or replace the dust shield / backing plate. http://forums.nasioc...threadid=243337

If you use the 294mm front brakes, they'll fit under the stock 16" wheels. These come on SG, SH foresters. There is a set on OzFoz.com.

Here is proof:

IMG_20150228_150444_zpsvfoezrvs.jpg

#12 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:02 PM

I have a full oem set from an '07 XT foz. 294mm fronts and 277mm rears. :)

There is a bloke on liberty.asn wrecking a 30R-B, and the brakes were still available yesterday at a reasonable price, just remember that only the fronts are a bolt in option.

Gen4 rears are also a direct bolt on to a Gen3..... Only mod is rear dust sheild will need to be removed to accomodate the larger diameter rotor.

OEM+

#13 Ansonii

Ansonii

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 11:34 AM

Might try find a write off gen 4 then and swap some stuff around, heaps up here at the moment after all the flooding, brakes and suspension components should be fine with a bit of water, thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users