Photo

Does anyone know if we could be affected?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 MrSober88

MrSober88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:17 AM

http://www.safercar....kata/index.html

http://money.cnn.com...all-what-to-do/

Im at work and rode in so don't have my full VIN# on me. But you can check here.

http://www.subaru.co...le-recalls.html

#2 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 21 May 2015 - 10:51 AM

Not unless your car was built in America....

OEM+

#3 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 11:38 AM

Wot Mark said, according to the published news.

more details: http://www.theaustra...y-1227014781268

What worries me is the following
- suggestion is Subaru is recalling under duress 'due to government investigations of Takata'
- Takata bags are used in Oz for Toyota, Honda, Nissan and others -- are we to trust Subaru uses different airbag components in Oz to the US while others don't, or is it due to manufacture/assembly site (see next)?
- Recall seems to be isolated to humid areas of the Americas - is the 'humid degradation' problem due to humidity at assembly or a field degradation issue?

Here's the official 'trust me, I'm from the government and I'm here to help' page :
http://www.recalls.g...omItemId/952855

#4 rohan3au

rohan3au

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:16 AM

I messaged Subaru Australia yesterday to ask about this issue and got the following response:

"Our manufacturer in Japan is looking into it currently, but at this stage, we aren't aware of any Australian Subaru models being affected."

I guess we'll have to wait and see?

2010 Impreza RS Special Edition Hatch

#5 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:28 AM

Crash your car into a wall and see what happens?

People need to chill. Media hype +++

Survived all these years previously without airbags. We did orright.

#6 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:42 AM

yeh, no.

I'm not sure I want flying shards of metal if my bag goes off in a crash... even a low speed bingle can set the bags off.

I'd rather no bag than deadly bag.

#7 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:59 AM

I messaged Subaru Australia yesterday to ask about this issue and got the following response:

"Our manufacturer in Japan is looking into it currently, but at this stage, we aren't aware of any Australian Subaru models being affected."

I guess we'll have to wait and see?

Good to hear. Cheers for sharing that mate. Keep us posted. It's always better safe than sorry.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#8 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 05:15 AM

yeh, no.

I'm not sure I want flying shards of metal if my bag goes off in a crash... even a low speed bingle can set the bags off.

I'd rather no bag than deadly bag.

Remove the bag then.

#9 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:59 AM

Remove the bag then.

which is illegal. 'sorry Mr PoPo - I don't trust car manufacturers, so I removed it' doesn't really fly.

Look - don't get me wrong, I'm not horribly concerned about it. I'm more likely to die from flying space debris, but Subaru's response is typical ducking and weaving from a multinational. They would know already if cars in Aus are affected - it should be a simple parts tracing exercise.

Given our cars are 100% imported, I don't really understand why they can't say something more definitive than 'we don't know yet'

#10 argi

argi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • Interests:whatever has wheels and an engine!

Posted 23 May 2015 - 02:20 PM

http://www.recalls.g.../itemId/1071326

#11 Bumpty

Bumpty

My wob dreams are now wet dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,489 posts
  • Interests:Drinking wine with wob by the legacy side

Posted 23 May 2015 - 03:30 PM

The irony of deadly airbags - forking love it.

#12 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:49 AM

... Subaru's response is typical ducking and weaving from a multinational. They would know already if cars in Aus are affected - it should be a simple parts tracing exercise.

Given our cars are 100% imported, I don't really understand why they can't say something more definitive than 'we don't know yet'

*cough*

what was I saying?

#13 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:12 AM

In case no one has noticed;

http://www.subyclub....akata-campaign/

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#14 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 02:02 PM

which is illegal. 'sorry Mr PoPo - I don't trust car manufacturers, so I removed it' doesn't really fly.

Look - don't get me wrong, I'm not horribly concerned about it. I'm more likely to die from flying space debris, but Subaru's response is typical ducking and weaving from a multinational. They would know already if cars in Aus are affected - it should be a simple parts tracing exercise.

Not sure why you're so concerned about Subaru's response to the situation. It happens more than too often with other manufacturers, with other components.

I couldn't care to be honest about my airbag. Ignorance is bliss. If it doesn't deploy, obviously it's been tampered with since the car was sold new. Can't pin it on previous owners, mechanics or anyone. So why sweat it?

Pure and simple, it's PR damage control. Air bags were manufactured by a third party, and naturally, Subaru are looking for compensation through the supplier.

Subaru are fearful of damage of their own reputation, like many others. For them it would cost lots of money in lost contract obligations for them to suddenly up and leave from their current supplier.

Just sit back and wait for the outcome. If you're caught in the recall, 

#15 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 25 May 2015 - 04:21 PM

Ignorance is certainly bliss, however, we automatically have faith in the safety systems of our car; expecting the features that are designed to save us, to save us – without question! I know that safety is one of the big factor as to why I have stuck with the brand for so long.

When news hits that those features are now unsafe, poop was always going to hit the fan and like always, the media spread this one like wildfire.

My sister’s MY06 Impreza is affected according to that latest link. If there’s a chance that replacing the airbag will one day save her life, then I urge her to follow up the recall. However, with the many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many cars that crash on a daily basis, only six people have had fatal injuries from this defect…

IM47Gcv.jpg

#16 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 04:40 PM

It'll be a long line before getting the airbag/s replaced too. I'm sure every car company will do their best in getting the replacement installed as soon as they can so that it doesn't have a negative effect on the brand itself. It sucks to see that the number of affected vehicles is getting larger and larger.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#17 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:00 PM

Supplier can't keep up with the demand!

IM47Gcv.jpg

#18 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:12 PM

That too. All in good time I guess. And hopefully no accidents occur in that time.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#19 Samwise

Samwise

Official official of the official.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts
  • Interests:Taste so good, make you wanna slap yo' mama.

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:57 PM

At the rate they have to supply new airbags... they'll probably make a mistake again.

I like to think of it as borrowing someone's car and driving it better than them.

#20 Seane

Seane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:High school teacher and comic book colourist!

Posted 15 July 2015 - 09:34 PM

Myself and my daughter who has an 05 Impreza both got a letter from Subaru last week asking we still owned the car and if the VIN matched the number at the top of the letter.

It did, so we filled in the return reply paid envelope and form...

Just have to see what happens next I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users