#1 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:29 PM

Gents,

So long story short, I'm not happy with the 4 pots and I wish to return to the standard 2 pots and upgrade a few things at the same time. The pedal feel just doesn't feel right, It's solid but very progressive and I don't like at all. It's not spongy like something is wrong, but I would rather a more responsive and confident pedal feel.

By passing on the 4 pots I can cover the expense of 2 pots and upgrades and break-even. Some will say I'm mad but according to a thread on Nasioc, between the 294mm 2 pots and 4 pots, there's not much in it apart from some extra brake torque, weight savings and heat dispersion, in favour of the 4 pots. Plus they look cooler.

Probably due to the crappy pads I used (Bendix Ultimates). They squeal like a banshee in reverse! The rears have some sort of mangy 4X4 pad in them from what I can read on the pad cover plate. Rear rotors are looking pretty glazed, though were had machined by the previous owner.

My plan of attack is to grab a set of turbo 2 pots, freshen them up with new pads and do the rears at the same time. I would also like to do rear rotors while I am at it, so I'll probably start stockpiling everything I need. 

- I'm looking for anyone who can give advice on a strong street brake pad that will give a strong feel for up front and back. I'm assuming a softer compound will give better response. It's likely to never see a track day so that's not important. I have seen QFM dropped alot around here. Don't want Bendix Ultimate again. The GTB is my daily commuter.

- Secondly, I want to replace the rear rotors but I'm not too sure what to look for, or what size they are. Obviously they're vented. Up front I have slotted and dimpled RDA 650D's, which are less than 6 months old. I'm just looking for an OEM equivalent up the back. Is it also a good idea to do hand brake shoes while I'm up in there? Never done hand brake stuff so I have zero knowledge here.

- Next, I want to pop in some braided brake lines. The go-to seems to be HEL but GCG Turbo's have released their own range under the SFS moniker. Anyone able to comment? http://www.ebay.com....=item4ae92c0e23

This pretty much sums up how I want to approach this. I would love to hear some feedback and advice on what gear I should be considering. 

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#2 bigboyscottyb

bigboyscottyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:34 PM

Firstly 4pots are over rated
Secondly buy yourself a set of gen 4 gt or 3.0rb front brakes! 316mm rotors, 2 piston, fit under all 17's pick up a set rotors, calipers and pads for $250
Thirdly buy your braided lines from prospeedracing, $125 brand new and adr approved

#3 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:41 PM

Scotty, just bought the 650D's so not changing front rotors. Sticking with the vanilla 2 pots.

#4 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:55 PM

Jimbo,

be aware some of the performance pad variants don't come in std gen3 lib front sizes.

#5 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:57 PM

The 2 pot GTB/B4 brakes are the same as WRX, XT/GTFoz etc so I can't see it being a problem. I'm not putting N/A brakes on it! Just going back to OEM.

#6 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • Interests:Door Frames

Posted 21 May 2015 - 10:03 PM

I'm running Intima sr fronts and ferodos on the rear

Thing with super street pads they need some warming up before you get thrown out the front window
Stop like a normal car when they are cold but once they are warm ooft.

Take my car for a spin on HVC if you want to see what they are like

#7 WALKER

WALKER

SAM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 10:19 PM

Not helpful.
But pretty sure I have bendix pads fitted too and the squeal too. Hate it.

Posted Image

#8 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 10:22 PM

Wob, I'm getting good vibes from these Intima things. Though I think the SS ones would be more suited to me instead of the SR. There's an option.

#9 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 10:31 PM

Need to take my whip for a crack Jimhoe.

316s are pretty damn good. Was thinking of going Brembrahs, but I'm thinking no need.

Cheap, powerful, and did I mention cheap?

#10 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 11:13 PM

I have QFM HPX, I have been very happy with them. Way less dust than bendix ultimates as well, but I can't compare to anything else. If you want to step it up a notch from those they also have the A1RM, when i was looking into this i found they would need a bit of warming up and would chew through rotors a bit quicker.

#11 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:22 AM

Endless CC-A. 

Got them up front and they are awesome with bugger all dust and no noise. 

OEM+

#12 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:04 AM

I have been using Hawk Performance Ceramics since first purchasing them in the group buy I organised a year or two ago. I've had no issues at all and they are quite responsive. Not sure what I'll be using next so I've got my eye on this topic for some recommendations too.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#13 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:54 PM

Need to take my whip for a crack Jimhoe.

316s are pretty damn good. Was thinking of going Brembrahs, but I'm thinking no need.

Cheap, powerful, and did I mention cheap?

I had no complaints at a track day, hurling the bulk of a GenIV around the track didn't bother the brakes at all.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#14 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 03:15 PM

QFM pads are excellent, had two sets of A1RM (track) and HPX (street).

I have HPX and RDA rotors on the lib now and they feel great.

Try flush fluid and get some decent pads before giving up on the 4pots???

MY07 GT spec B

#15 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 03:18 PM

316's for sure and MRT sport pads.

Once you cry a little and get over the fact that they are from MRT, they are actually excellent pads.

I'll be getting some for the rears eventually even though the rears are a moot point.

#16 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 05:38 PM

Interesting that QFM's get a good wrap from many people. Back in the day, when I would fit 3 or 4 sets of pads in a week, I had nothing but trouble the few times I used them. I fitted a F&R set to a Falcon and it felt like the master cylinder had died and you couldn't pull it up. Fitted std Bendix and the pedal went back to normal and stopped fine.

They have obviously improved a huge amount.

#17 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 22 May 2015 - 05:53 PM

How do Bendix go nowadays? Are they getting to the same level as more premium products that have been mentioned above? I've noticed that their General CTs have got quite a bit of tech behind them.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#18 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 06:04 PM

I think mine has Bendix std in it now, but Im not 100% sure as they are the brake set I got off benrs from the last 30RB he parted. I have never bothered to check as they have been fine.

My brakes are off the car ATM, they had OEM pads IIRC and were the ones I used at the track.

A few years ago we got some tech info off Bendix, they did the OEM pads for VE Commodore and there were over 20 variants just for VE.

#19 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 22 May 2015 - 06:22 PM

Ive got GCT in the rears atm. Ive had them in a few cars all round and I have no issues with them pulling up well as a daily commuting pad.

I will be changing to Endless in the rears soon though purely for the whole matching thing. :sarcastic:

OEM+

#20 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 02:17 AM

I've heard that pretty much all bendix pads are virtually the same...eg 4x4 is the same as CT is the same as ultimate. Not sure how reliable this is, I didn't find my bendix ultimates that ultimate though. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users