aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,323 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:20 AM

Subaru-Impreza-RV-2002-12.jpg

The Subaru Impreza has become the latest vehicle in Australia affected by the massive global recall of cars fitted with potentially faulty Takata airbags.

Subaru has recalled 33,548 Impreza models produced between 2004 and 2007. The year models and VIN ranges are as follows:

MY2004: 021344 to 045216. MY2005: 024602 to 058988. MY2006: 024801 to 057412. MY2007: 034808 to 073605

Subaru joins fellow Japanese brands Honda (about 130,000 cars), Nissan (102,000 cars) and Toyota (181,000 cars) in recalling vehicles inside the past few weeks.

They join more than 120,000 previously recalled for the same issue in 2013 and 2014 by those three brands, as well as BMW, Chrysler, Lexus, Mazda and Mercedes-Benz.

The global Takata recall is now the single biggest product recall of any type in history. In addition to the 53 million-plus vehicles recalled around the world (including 34 million in the US), the defective airbags are linked to six deaths and more than 100 injuries.

There have been no incidents or injuries reported in Australia relating to the defect.

The Subaru recall relates to defective airbag inflators fitted to the front passenger airbags. The defective airbag inflator wafers are susceptible to moisture intrusion over time, which can cause them to rupture during airbag deployment. Ruptured airbag inflators may create metal fragments that can strike and injure occupants.

After years of blaming manufacturing and component-handling errors for the issue, Takata this week acknowledged its airbag inflators were defective.

Subarus Australian importer said this week that known owners will be contacted by mail as soon as parts become available to present their vehicle to their preferred Subaru Retailer for the replacement of the passengers front airbag inflator.

More info on the recall here: http://www.accc.gov....assenger-airbag

This info and more can be found at: http://www.caradvice.com.au/

: My Liberty :

#2 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,662 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:10 AM

Sucks to hear. Hopefully this issue doesn't spread to the Libertys.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#3 Ads

Ads

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:32 AM

In case people have forgotten about this or have yet to check their VIN, you can do so here:

https://www.subaru.com.au/recall

As of November 2017, the following Subaru vehicles are involved in the recall:

Subaru Impreza
2004-2007

2015/14715

Subaru Tribeca, Liberty, Outback
2004-2013

2016/15507

Subaru Impreza, Forester
2008-2013

2016/15766

Subaru Exiga
2010-2014

2017/16012

Subaru Liberty & Outback
2010-2014

2017/16013

It is important to note that a number of vehicles will be replaced with "like for like" replacements, meaning it will be a new airbag but with the same potential fault/defect. This is due to shortages of airbags from alternate suppliers. The idea is that the risk is reduced in the meantime as it is the age of the airbag that may contribute to the defect developing.

These will need to be replaced again when there is stock available of the permanent replacement airbags. The dealer should tell you this at the time of replacement and notify you when the parts are available. See the Subaru FAQ listed below for more info.

Also, it is a good idea to take photos of your dash/interior before having the replacement done as there have been a number of people reporting damage to their dash upon receiving their car back. See the Club Liberty thread listed below for more discussion on this.

More/Related info:

Subaru | Takata Airbag recall FAQ's [PDF]

ACCC | Current vehicle recall list for all makes

ACCC | FAQs on Takata airbag recalls

Related SC Thread

Related Club Liberty Thread

#4 VeryImprezed555

VeryImprezed555

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:58 PM

What are they doing with the recalls? Are they replacing it or what generally happens with them? 

#5 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,662 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 23 February 2018 - 06:41 AM

You take your car to a Subaru dealership of your choice and they replace the faulty airbags.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users