#1 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:30 PM

Hi guys,

In order to save a fair few hundred dollars and I guess to broaden my mechanical knowledge of my car, I thought it'd be a good idea to ask the SubyClub community for some help. Would anyone be willing to help me out with straight-swapping my current struts to a set of recently purchased Bilstein struts and STi springs? Apparently it doesn't take too much work but I am willing to bring a case of beer and be hands on to help out. If there is a clear and concise tutorial I might be up for it with my dad or some mates, but I cannot afford to screw anything up or prevent me using the car.

I am happy to do it in my parent's double-garage if you're in the area, otherwise I am more than happy to travel if someone prefers their own household, tools and what not then that would be much appreciated as well.

If you're not a beer drinker, I'm happy to make up for it. No homo favours though.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#2 Samwise

Samwise

Official official of the official.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts
  • Interests:Taste so good, make you wanna slap yo' mama.

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:57 PM

I will gladly come and drink beer and show you what you need to do. :P

I like to think of it as borrowing someone's car and driving it better than them.

#3 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:13 PM

No homo favor's........? I'm out.

BBQ and a few beers and you'll get a few helpers Im sure, hell I would!

Even for a 6 pack its a good deal. 

I can swap a full set of struts over in under an hour with no air/power assisted tools. :D

OEM+

#4 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:31 PM

Ha ha, I would hope so!

It's times like these I wished we lived close by to each other Mark. Are there any detailed tutorials about it on SubyClub or elsewhere for a Gen IV? Is it a matter of undoing nuts, removing the strut, installing the new one and doing back up the nuts? Will I be needing clamps for the springs, etc?

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#5 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:38 PM

Is it a matter of undoing nuts, removing the strut, installing the new one and doing back up the nuts?

All there is to it. Gen 3/4 is made a bit harder cos the rear struts lower bolt. Ive heard its a cubt. Other than that its exactly as you said. Wont need spring compressors unless youre changings springs. Remember to get an allignment afterwards as well

tIeW8DE.png

#6 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 11:01 AM

Sweet. Thanks man. I'll check it out with my dad and see whether we can take it on ourselves, but the question is still there guys. If anyone can offer their help I am willing to travel to get it done. I just cannot afford to pay hundreds of dollars twice as I need these struts and springs in and new bushes as well, but I'm leaving that one to the professionals.

I'll definitely organise a wheel alignment afterwards. No doubt about it.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#7 hoff

hoff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 12:00 PM

The hardest part is getting the 10 year old stubborn nuts off. But sometimes they come off nice and easy.
Decent sockets with a breaker bar and some wd40 you'll be sweet.

Do one end of the car at a time on stands. Take both sides out before trying to put the new ones in otherwise you will fighting the sway bar trying to get the hub bolts back in.

Mark the head of the camber bolts so you know which way to face them and be mindful of the hubs flopping out so you don't pop a drive shaft out.

It's really simple if you have some common sense you'll be fine.

If your stuck you can drive down to my place and I'll help.

#8 craig_

craig_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 02:21 PM

Kroil or Penetrene works much better than WD40. WD40 is not a lubricant. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users