• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 V3nomous

V3nomous

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:14 AM

I know it does happen but I see a lot of stock subarus around with one dim headlight, is this a known common problem?
And also I've changed the fuses, relays, switched globes, re-soldered on a new connection and I've still got one dim headlight... The previous owner had globes that were clearly too high in wattage and it melted the connector so I'm wondering since this has happened could it be that it's fried something else that I don't know about?

Any help would be great

#2 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:29 AM

Wiring says they both go to a common ground - so unlikely to be that, unless its the connectors or ground wires between the two headlight plugs. 

.. they do run off separate 12V supplies (2 sets of relay and fuse. (#8/9)).

Start by checking your 'ground' and '12V' voltages at the connectors with the headlights on (reference to a good solid chassis ground or battery -ve terminal).

You'll find either one of the 'grounds' is high, or the 12V is low.  Work back from there.

#3 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:45 AM

Faulty earth (ground) will cause both filaments of the globe to 'share' the supply voltage.
With the headlamps turned on, measure the voltage between the positive side of the globe and the positive battery terminal (supply voltage drop) and also between the earth side of the globe and the negative battery terminal (earth voltage drop). Both values ideally should be less than 0.5v.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users