6 replies to this topic

#1 ben64

ben64

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:03 AM

Hello guys ( and girls maybe )

I totally felt in love of the Legacy 3.0R with EZ30 engine.

But after many trouble with the VW 2.0L TDI engine with made in china oil pump failures :dash2: :dash2: :dash2:  I want to know all of it is possible on the EZ30  weakness ( even if there are not very important ) ;)

What are the best mileages for this engine and its gearbox / transmission ?

Thanks by advance,

#2 Zac

Zac

1544C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,686 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:46 AM

I have a 2004 Outback with the EZ30 3.0R engine in it. Being an Outback, it is an auto.

The engine is lovely, quite amazing actually, doesn't seem to run out of pull and has very good pull over the 3500rpm mark, when it really comes to life.

The things people say to watch out for is the engine burns through quite a bit of oil, so that is something to watch out for, and head gasket issues. Obviously the lower KMs the better, 

Best thing to do is get a tune, which will help with the fuel consumption and open the engine up a little more as well, which is nice. A little more low down torque.

Best gearbox with it, from what I've heard would be the 6spd manual box, which would be a pleasure to drive, but the 5spd auto is "buttery smooth" as well

Other than the burning through some oil, and headgasket issue at high kms, I don't think there is much else, but search around the net. Google is your friend.

All the best

2002 B4 Rev E

2004 Outback Premium 3.0R

#3 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 23 June 2015 - 08:01 AM

Some burn oil some don't but as above, it is a known issue. If you keep an eye on it it's not really a problem.

As Zac mentioned, head gaskets are known to fail. This may be due to the tune as they are known to suffer from detonation which will obviously stress the head gasket. A good tune will eliminate this.

I would recommend only using 98 fuel to also will help with detonation and often, the tuned engines are required to run on this fuel. They are a thirsty engine if you lean on them but can return acceptable numbers when cruising on the highway. Mine will chew through 98 at around 13l/100 around town and about 9l/100 on the highway with the 6 speed transmission.

Stunning engine that loves to rev and sounds amazing when working hard!

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#4 hoff

hoff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 03:58 PM

I've had 2 Ez30Rs.

An 2005 3.0RB 6 sp manual, which was the best car I've owned. I sold that with nearly 200thou on the clock and it's I've 250thou bow with its new owner.
The 6 speed is just a fantastic bit of gearbox with that motor.

The other was a 2004 3.0R outback with the 5eat which had 280thou.
Still ran good as new. The auto is a great cruiser but is very dimwitted.

Biggest problems I found was
the power steering pumps tend to go.

The centre diff binds on the manuals. The bearings on the front pulleys tend to seize

Apart from that absolutely awesome cars.

#5 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 03:58 PM

a retune is essential to them running smoothly and longevity
City consumption will come down to around 11L/100 and highway cruising around 8L/100 after a tune,
plus about double the factory torque output in the low rpm's,
you can drive them like an old fashioned diesel after the tune, just release the clutch with no throttle and pull from 900rpm with no issues.

As with any manual SUbaru, centre diff's let go, and the Gen4 is pretty hard on the front LCA bushes
keeping an eye on the timing chain tensioners for any noise

#6 ben64

ben64

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:02 AM

Thanks guys,

I don't undertand "tune" : is it electronic modification or mecanic ?

#7 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:06 AM

Thanks guys,

I don't undertand "tune" : is it electronic modification or mecanic ?

electronic remap of the ECU. changes to fueling and ignition timing and also throttle maps. 

MY07 GT spec B

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users