17 replies to this topic

#1 charbs

charbs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 11:08 AM

Hey,

I've been shopping around for a used WRX (MY11 or MY12) for at least 2 months now.

I may seem picky, and perhaps a tightarse, but i'm just being careful as i'd like this next car to last me for years to come.

The one thing i'm finding hard to believe is the pricing of these used vehicles. Some dealerships (even private owners) want something more than $32-33K for cars that are made in 2011, when even their subaru warranty has run out. 

Am i the only one that thinks these cars should be in the $25-$26k mark? I remember when i sold my premium 2010 MY11 WRX (hatch), i got $26k for it and I was bloody happy about that (my competition was only $500 less or more than the price i sold mine at the time, about a year and a half ago).

Surely low k's on a car aren't the only thing that merit its (in my mind) extremely high value? 

I'm starting to get desperate, and to be honest i am starting to think that maybe i need to shop around for a completely different vehicle.

Thoughts, advice and suggestions most certainly welcome  :)

Cheers guys

#2 LPM_B4

LPM_B4

LPM_FOZ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 11:42 AM

mark300 just picked up a My11 premium with plenty of goodies and around the 50xxxkm mark for a bit more than that price your thinking, id say be patient they will come up.

#3 charbs

charbs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 11:47 AM

Do you know what state that was in LPM_B4? I'm in NSW, and that's another thing I noticed, it's actually mostly inflated here in NSW (compared to QLD and SA especially).

#4 mark300

mark300

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 12:18 PM

Do you know what state that was in LPM_B4? I'm in NSW, and that's another thing I noticed, it's actually mostly inflated here in NSW (compared to QLD and SA especially).

Hai :)

picked it up in NSW on the central coast, however it was an ACT registered car. it ended up costing me a little more because of the rego transfer, but i paid 26.5k for the car, which i thought was a pretty reasonable price

i agree with you on the pricing, when i was looking for mine, i was consistently questioning peoples prices, way too high for the car. 

patience will serve you well for a realistically priced good example to come along

#5 charbs

charbs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 12:39 PM

Hai :)

picked it up in NSW on the central coast, however it was an ACT registered car. it ended up costing me a little more because of the rego transfer, but i paid 26.5k for the car, which i thought was a pretty reasonable price

i agree with you on the pricing, when i was looking for mine, i was consistently questioning peoples prices, way too high for the car. 

patience will serve you well for a realistically priced good example to come along

Hey,

I'm really glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. Can I also ask, how many KM's did it have when you bought it?

#6 charbs

charbs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 12:59 PM

Hey,

I'm really glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. Can I also ask, how many KM's did it have when you bought it?

Sorry ignore me, that's in the previous post.

#7 mark300

mark300

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:01 PM

around 53xxx when i bought it. i got it at the start of june, up to around 56xxx now. been enjoying it a bit too much

#8 charbs

charbs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 06:55 PM

Okay cool.

I'm more than willing to wait and be patient to find one for the right price. I've owned one before and i know how much i loved it.

But the more i see other cars, and what performance and features they offer (as brand new or used under 20,000km's on the clock) compared to the WRX, i wonder if it's the best bang-for-your-buck i could buy right now...

Completely different car, but i hired an SV6 commodore (2015) for a week for a mini getaway, and i was completely blown away that i could pick one up for $32K (current special offer) brand new (with 3 year warranty). The amount of luxury and safety features far surpasses that of a 2012 premium pack WRX with an asking price of ~ $33K... Again, completely different car, and i'm more than happy to be without all these features if i'm in a WRX, but for the right price.

I'm looking through carsales, carsguide, gumtree, pickles and some independent car dealership sites. Anywhere else i can/should be looking?

#9 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:49 PM

SV6 won't hold value aswell though, but I inow the point you were making.

I see the same thing when looking at S-edition 2010-2012 Foresters. Prices range from $25k - $35k even with same kms.

#10 mark300

mark300

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:46 AM

What Niko said. depreciation of commodores is pretty huge these days. 

i can see what you are saying though. and yes i agree.

i have pretty much been looking for an MY11 since october last year (i bought something in the meantime instead of the WRX cause i got frustrated but hated it so much i got rid of it and went back on the search again)

peoples expectations of the market were pretty unreasonable. asking 35k for a 2012-13 Premium WRX currently, when you can go out and pick up one of the new ones for low 40s with some negotiations is a bit unrealistic in my opinion and definitely not a reasonable price. granted i know some purists will come back with the EJ v FA engine comparison, but at the end of the day, approx 5k more for a brand new one compared to a 2 year old car? youd be crazy not to consider it. 

eventually one will come up that isnt owned by someone who lives in wonderland and rather realises the market. people will start realising eventually you cant ask that much for a car and get it. 

#11 charbs

charbs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:33 PM

What Niko said. depreciation of commodores is pretty huge these days. 

i can see what you are saying though. and yes i agree.

i have pretty much been looking for an MY11 since october last year (i bought something in the meantime instead of the WRX cause i got frustrated but hated it so much i got rid of it and went back on the search again)

peoples expectations of the market were pretty unreasonable. asking 35k for a 2012-13 Premium WRX currently, when you can go out and pick up one of the new ones for low 40s with some negotiations is a bit unrealistic in my opinion and definitely not a reasonable price. granted i know some purists will come back with the EJ v FA engine comparison, but at the end of the day, approx 5k more for a brand new one compared to a 2 year old car? youd be crazy not to consider it. 

eventually one will come up that isnt owned by someone who lives in wonderland and rather realises the market. people will start realising eventually you cant ask that much for a car and get it. 

I agree with you 100%.

Personally i'm not a huge fan of the new shape, but yeah i'd be a moron if i found it okay to spend $35K on a 3-4 year old car without considering getting a brand new one with factory warranty etc.

Lucky for me i can afford to keep waiting, i travel to the CBD to my mon-fri job on the train, so it's not absolutely necessary to have a car (although it gets frustrating on weekends lol).

I would be delighted if you/someone else lets me know of a good deal i may have missed on carsales or somewhere else :) 

Cheers guys

#12 charbs

charbs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:37 PM

One other thing i just noticed Mark300, yours is a hatch. There was a slight difference in pricing in hatch and sedan from what i've been seeing, would you agree on that as well?

#13 mark300

mark300

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:08 PM

from memory from factory there was about a 2-3k difference in the pricing of the hatch v sedan. 

at the moment on the market, to me personally i didnt see a great deal of difference in the pricing between the two. Maybe because there is significantly less hatches on the market than sedans 

#14 charbs

charbs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:00 PM

Yeah that would make sense.

I saw your Hatch post by the way, ripping ride dude!

I appreciate your help (and that of others as well). 

Will let you know once i find something :) Cheers bud

#15 gen3v8

gen3v8

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Interests:Cars Planes Boats Trains
    Push and Motor Bikes
    Nice tits

Posted 11 July 2015 - 12:50 PM

I found a MY13 WRX Premium hatch in Orange 2 weeks ago $32k @ 44k kms. Owned by a nurse. Dunno if it was to much money or not?

#16 mark300

mark300

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 05:24 PM

personally wouldnt have paid that much for it, but a car is worth what someone is willing to pay

#17 charbs

charbs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:35 AM

Hmm, to be honest, i wouldn't either. 

I found a MY13 car in QLD for $32k, with ONLY 18,000KMS on the clock, but still quite a bit for me.

Mark, i may have finally found something reasonable :D

MY11, 35000KMs, $26k... 

More news to follow! Inspection booked for this thursday.

#18 gen3v8

gen3v8

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Interests:Cars Planes Boats Trains
    Push and Motor Bikes
    Nice tits

Posted 18 July 2015 - 01:53 PM

Prolly was on the high $ide. But the mrs and I have been looking for a while and most cars were molested and raped.

We looked at New but the cars are big and have no room like a Hatch.

So this one showed up and was used in the Orange area by a Lady owner and has all the tell tale signs of a country car for its km`s

ie no wear on the drivers controls etc. It has every factory bell and whistle also(no performance ones). The only damage is a minute mark on the plastic shroud around the gear shift lever and some chips on the bar, it has full service history, it is all still tight and best of all 100% stock standard and original with some factory warranty.

Having had nearly 70yrs of experience between us in the motor industry we know a good/exceptionally good car. My wife is fussy as

with cars and she is very happy with her latest. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users