#1 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 01:19 PM

Hi All,

I recently removed my factory 6-CD stacker and installed a factory Navi Unit in to my SH Forester.

This DIY should help anyone removing their stereo from the models that share the common interior (08+ Impreza and SH Forester).

Pics will be uploaded when I can, can't do it from work PC.

Tools:
Gerber Multi-Tool. (pliers, Knife, Scissors, Fascia removal)
Phillips screwdriver.
Small stripping tool.
Electrical tape.
Masking Tape.
Lighter (for heat shrinking).

Method:

I started by masking the parts of the dash I would remove. I masked the passenger side fascia because there is a method to remove this part and avoid marking your front fascia.

xsBnvIbl.jpg

I removed all CDs from stock H/U.

I then had a go at removing the front fascia, it was quite easy if you pop off the clips from the bottom, insert your tool in the crease above the right and left aircon dials.

ujA5lgxl.jpg

I then removed the air con routing plastic (2 screws either side) Photo was taken after new head unit was put in.

xM2rNDsl.jpg

I then removed the stereo. 4 screws either side. If removing the stock stereo you can unplug 2 plugs from the back of the stereo, then tug on the black earthing attachment in the centre of the stereo. You then need to reach into the dash to disconnect the antenna cable (gray plug in pic).

hWdrfUbl.jpg

The bracket on the stock unit can be used for aftermarket units, my factory NAVI unit already had a bracket so no need.

At this point I had to wire up my harness that I got from www.ae64.com . Highly recommend you go here if needing a custom harness. I needed to add VSS and PArk brake extension wires so that they could be wired in. I also need to connect rear gear wire at a later date if I install Reversing Camera. I twisted the wires together with about 1cm stripped. I then slid over crimp, then heatshrank it and then insulated. I did not solder due to not having my iron in Sydney, I would recommend soldering.

aNWyeo8l.jpg

I then plugged harness into car wiring.

I then got my aftermarket GPS antenna (eclipse style plug) and double sided taped it inside the dash, behind the clock and just under the plastic. This gives the antenna a clear signal with only the plastic of the dash and the glass above it. MOUNT THE GPS ANTENNA UPRIGHT. DO NOT MOUNT UNDERNEATH METAL.

Once everything was plugged in I spliced my ground wire into the stock ground wire (the one you unplugged from stock unit).

I fed through my extension wires (Park Brake and VSS) so they came out near where the driver's left foot would be (refer bottom right of pic 4). When I spliced these wires into my harness I left heaps of length just in case I needed it.

I then spliced my park brake extension into the park brake wire located under the park brake handle (Purple with Red stripe). (this splice came loose due to cheap splicers, will rectify, however features worked on stereo fine without it).

I then searched for VSS wire under driver side, it was difficult and I came close a few times but could not identify the correct wire (Pink with Green stripe)

Now everything was hooked up I made sure to insulate the ends of any wires with electrical tape. I also wrapped tape labels onto all wires that I needed to know (eg. Reverse wire and 12v Wire) this is more for the next buyer than it is for me, but pays to do it.

Once it was all good I slid it back in and put screws back in. Put aircon duct back in and then replaced fascia.

ujCe0VNl.jpg

I tested the radio by turning the car to accessories. It worked and was fine. I tested all features, all worked except those that require the VSS.

There was a slight buzzing sound when on mute, I feel like this is due to an uninsulated wire somewhere, I will fix this when I take stereo out to hook up video lines, when music is going there is no dramas. I found this is acommon thing with this unit and is just the cooling fan.

The GPS worked fine, so did address look up. I need to update maps which you can do by buying them and then burning on to a CD.

I will take some more pics when I pull stereo out to do video line, and to also redo the ground splice with a better splicing clip.

I will post an update when I find and connect VSS lines and Reverse gear lines. BEWARE USDM forums will not help you, they have different wiring.

I used masking tape to mask off the fascia, but then I used electrical tape when doing it later due to masking tape ripping and letting the tool slightly scratch the fascia.

Once again thanks to Dave from www.ae64.com, also all the US guys on NAISOC and SubaruForester.org .

#2 Fordrocky69

Fordrocky69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:38 PM

Hi have u successfully find the vss wiring? Im stuck with this wiring as well please help out if u find it thx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users