• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:08 PM

Hey guys, last night when I got in my car to head home after work, I went to select reverse and put in the clutch pedal, but it stayed flat to the floor. I thought I might have snapped a clutch hose or something but I pulled the pedal back up, and it was sprung again, and I was able to drive home. 

The clutch worked, but it has a weird feel to it. Basically there's almost no resistance from the pedal's resting position up until the friction point, and then it seems to bite normally and it feels normal from that point on. But then I let it out and once it's past the friction point, almost no resistance, whereas normally it's fairly linear. 

I checked the level of the clutch fluid, it's slightly above MAX.

Any ideas?

#2 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:26 PM

IIRC GenIII's suffer from a faulty clutch hose, maybe it's that?

I have seen it on other makes, the lining of the hose fails and causes it to hold line pressure and do all sorts of weird shit.

Start with the basics, has the master cylinder push rod got a little free play? It should have a couple of mm.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#3 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:30 PM

yup - you've got a leak somewhere. Probably a pinhole in the line; you might be able to find a leak if you look real hard.

You'll probably find you can bleed it - and it'll be good, then get bad again.

Replace line and slave cylinder.

#4 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:33 PM

IIRC GenIII's suffer from a faulty clutch hose, maybe it's that?

I have seen it on other makes, the lining of the hose fails and causes it to hold line pressure and do all sorts of weird shit.

Start with the basics, has the master cylinder push rod got a little free play? It should have a couple of mm.

I'll have a look tomorrow Jase but thanks!

It sounds like Duncan knows what's up and I found this thread too http://www.subyclub....oor-liberty-b4/

Unfortunately it's a crappy time for it to happen as I don't really have the time to do it myself (no idea what I'm doing so it would take a while) so I'll take it to the mechanic this week. 

#5 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 01:16 AM

Just an update incase anyone has this problem in the future

Clutch feel went back to pretty much normal over the little while it took to source a replacement master cylinder, had that fitted and bled, everything feels a little tighter but it's more the peace of mind that it won't happen again that I was chasing!

#6 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:16 AM

Bet the flex line fails within the next few years Nick, mine has done it for the past few years, and mainly when it gets hot, like in stop start traffic or parking it for a few minutes and then restarting the car to move off. Eventually one day it went to the floor and while the pedal would spring back, the pressure wouldn't come back with it. New line, fluid and a good bleed it was all good.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users