#1 ace2456

ace2456

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Subarus!

Just want to learn.

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:19 PM

I've been tossing up ideas on what to build into a Gen 2 :), going to be starting around mid next year but want to get planning earlier. I'm wanting That H6 exhaust goodness but I want the most reliability I can possibly get out of a subaru. Don't want to break 0-100 records or quarter mile times. Just want a practical cruiser with abit of grunt for when I feel like a mountain run or something.

I was considering buying a rear ended low km Gen 4 3.0 6speed and using it as a doner or getting the 3.6 out of a Tribeca separately and a 6speed separately but I've been looking at that option and it looks to be alot greater cost.

Thanks in advance for you advice/opinions

Cheers!

#2 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,449 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:21 PM

Standard 3L. Getting one from a gen 3 outback (EZ30D) would be cheaper and easier as the tech is a more closer match. Youd have a crazy amount of wiring to do with a 3.6

tIeW8DE.png

#3 ace2456

ace2456

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Subarus!

Just want to learn.

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:25 PM

Forgot about the Gen 3 Outback, cheers for that! I'll look into it.

#4 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:10 PM

tribeca will have all the complications of CAN.. you'd probably need to strip it and use an aftermarket ECU.

go the Gen3 - should be plenty in various wreckers.

#5 Lukeoly

Lukeoly

Make it BLAAACK!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Interests:Boost

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:27 AM

Gen 3 EZ30 was auto only. Cam's car was manual but from memory he had a heap of trouble getting a working Check Engine Light with the auto missing. It might be worth picking his brain if you're gonna go this route

ndvgQm2.jpg

#6 church

church

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:08 PM

EZ30D

Getting an EZ30D from a gen 3 outback is the easiest, but thats a very weak easy.

If you want it to even remotely work without fiddling too much with the ECU, you'd have to get the auto trans out from the gen 3 also.

If you want it manual, the ECU has to be rewired and re-programed with a new code as the gen 3 outback 3.0L never came with manual transmission so the ECU will always be looking for the transmission to change gear and wondering why it's idling at different RPMs thus causing an engine light. Cam overcame this with a re-program from a tuner in Barbados. You'd have to get an aftermarket ECU, as most of them don't need to know what the gearbox is doing.

EZ30R or EZ36

These ECUs arn't hack it up and 'plug and play', due to the CANBUS networking it uses the ECU is split up into different control boxes around the car (think of the MCM gramps build with the Haltech Elite). You need really good configuration/code, someone with the know how to wire it up and alot of luck. 

My advice:

If you're going with EZ30R or EZ36 route, get someone like Al/Turbo Yoda in AM auto to do it for you, these new engines are a league of their own in terms of the computer side of it, putting in the engine is the easy part.

This is what I'm going to do with my outback when it's time for a trans swap :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users