9 replies to this topic

#1 comport3

comport3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 07:27 PM

Boys and Girls,

Bought my 04 FXT off eBay for a 'song' on a wing and a prayer.

It has turned out to be someone's paddock basher / farm vehicle they have decided to 'teach' themselves about mechanics on....

It has a non turbo gearbox (+clutch) fitted, the shifter has been chopped (badly) to be a semi sort of short shifter and prematurly screwed the bushes.

I has the fear about continuing the project.

At a minimum it will need 2x tyres (probably 4), front CV joints, rear shocks, lots of lines and pipes replaced, possible new radiator, gearbox and clutch and I'm not sure what else.

That said, the engine and turbo appear to be in fairly good condition, and the chassis too - for the age. Given I bought it cheaply, there's 5-7k to spend to bring it up to a reasonable spec within the budget - and hopefully any mods for less than ~ 9k.

Is it possible? Am I barking up the wrong tree? Any suggestions?

Coilovers?

Heavy duty clutch?

6 speed STi gearbox?

Cut and run?!

HELPP!!! Ahhhhh!!! What a nightmare!

#2 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:07 PM

This one?
http://www.subyclub....-63#entry579079

sounds alright - what's wrong with the gearbag? - If nothing wrong, just keep it till it blows up (if it does. the XT doesn't have huge power). Clutch will be fine. It depends on your plans for the engine (if any).

Replace the shifter, replace shocks and whatever else (rubber bushes etc) is rooted in the suspension.

#3 comport3

comport3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:17 PM

That's the one. Moderate plans for power, handling reliability. Was going to do pads+rotors, swaybars, dump pipe, hi flow cat and ECU tune.

Not sure what to do now.

#4 bigboyscottyb

bigboyscottyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:13 AM

Tbh it really depends on how much you want to spend, whats the gearbox code? Sure its an na box? Depends on ratio as well if the rear diff has been changed as well

If you want power id do the following

Replace suspension (coilover or shocks and springs your choice)

Pull the engine out with the box, replace box with a turbo one, do your rear main seal, rocker covers and spark plugs and an hd clutch, replace turbo (upgrade) and catless up pipe, fit 3inch exhaust and replace shafts!

If you have a budget of about $5k shoild be covered

#5 comport3

comport3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:27 AM

Thanks - that sounds like it could work. I'm really after a sleeper that doesn't draw too much attention - a lot of the time, it will have 2 little kids in the back... that also might mean coilovers are a bit stiff, despite my preference for them.

The box is a NA one, confirmed by Michael from Pulse Racing - unsure of the code, but the rear diff hasn't been changed. He was also concerned about the drive ratio and the diff being shot for the same reason.

If all of the above can get sorted for about $5k I reckon I should keep going with the project. Thanks very much for the advice.

#6 bigboyscottyb

bigboyscottyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:48 AM

I may be able to help with a few parts, just need to finish my bit off

#7 comport3

comport3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:06 AM

That'd be awesome - I'm on the beaches too. What parts do you have?

#8 bigboyscottyb

bigboyscottyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:08 AM

Shifter (maybe) and a spare 4.444 diff, can help with hoses and pipes, got heaps of stock stuff, maybe temp foz rear struts

#9 comport3

comport3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 06:57 PM

Champion - sounds awesome. Once I get the shopping list from Pulse I'll shoot you a PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 comport3

comport3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 08:31 AM

Good news: the gearbox IS actually a turbo box, the housing was from a non turbo box for reasons that no one can even guess at...

Project is a go - heavy duty clutch going in soon plus a motor out service with all belt, fluids, plugs, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users