• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tasrider90

Tasrider90

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:38 PM

How you going guys, I'm thinking about buying some 17inch wheels for my 2000 heritage wagon. If I buy the wheels they'll probably sit around until I put new tyres on them and buy a set of lowering springs.
My question is, if I replace the factory 16 alloys with 17s and put in the springs in which are meant to lower it 30-35mm, how low profile will my tyres need to be to not raise the stock ride height of the car (if that's possible)?

Probably a dumb question but I'm pretty new to cars (always been a motorbike guy), cheers for any input guys! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:58 PM

215 45 17 is oem size.

OEM+

#3 zahmad

zahmad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 10:32 PM

As mark said, oem tyre size for 17's are 215 45 17 across all Liberty generations. Tyre size will not be affected unless you go crazy low by lowering the ride height...

#4 Tasrider90

Tasrider90

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:54 AM

Okay, so my liby already has 17s?
Sorry I'm a bit spastic. Aha

So if I stick 17s on it with the springs my ride height will stay the same?? Sorry to be frustrating I'm just confused.

#5 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:21 AM

Car sizing doesn't work the same as 4wd's (which is what it sounds like you've come from). 17's mentioned regarding cars is the rim diameter, not the finished rim and tyre diameter.
Ride height generally doesn't get altered via tyre sizing with cars (even though it can be), it is generally changed by changing out the springs for shorter ones.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#6 Tasrider90

Tasrider90

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:39 AM

Okay, thanks allpaw4, so if I get low profile tyres on the 17s so the overall diameter of the wheels+tyres won't change the ride height with the lower springs. Sound about right? Aha
Thanks.

#7 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 28 October 2015 - 04:30 PM

Tyre size should stay with the factory 215/45/17 tyre size. Otherwise your speedo will be out, and the spare wont match, etc. Stick to spring changes or coilovers for lowering. More expensive, but much happier from a compliance perspective.
Cheers, Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#8 patrick27s

patrick27s

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:59 AM

If you do/did have 16" from factory with your car, I think if you look at your oem 16" wheel profile (can't remember right now) you will notice it will be a bit bigger than the oem 17" profile (215/45/17) it's basically the closest you can get to match the overall diameter of wheels and tire and this your speedo will not be too out. I did the same with my gen 3 and it reads 1-2 kms over depending on speed, but it's still under reading like it should be.

If the overall wheel/tire size is the same your car should sit the same and you should still get your 30-35mm drop with 215/45/17 profile tyres on 17" wheels.

#9 zahmad

zahmad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:32 AM

16's are 205/50/16...
With the 215/45/17, my speedo now is accurate to the line....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users