• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Allan

Allan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 07:12 PM

Hey guys, I'm a college student, I bought this bg5 from some guy, it wouldn't start, (and he was selling it at a throwaway price) I replaced it's engine with another ej15 I had lying around. Still, the car cranks but won't start. Everything else seems to be working well(lights, horn,A/c... not bad for a car that has been asleep for 3 years and counting)... what could be the problem? Any suggestions? I had installed some new spark plugs before I swapped it's engine, it still doesn't start. Any suggestions would be great.

#2 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:52 PM

Check that it's getting spark by taking off a spark plug lead and seeing if it arcs on something when you crank it over. If you have spark then it's probably something fuel. Can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn onto reds?

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#3 Allan

Allan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 01:00 AM

I took off the leads as I was cranking at first one side wasn't throwing sparks as it should but then at times they both throw sparks. What could be causing this? I had a hunch that this could be the problem?

#4 Grayfox

Grayfox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:40 AM

You need to find a wiring diagram to fix electrical issues mate
Check fuses, ect

#5 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:57 AM

It's either fuel, spark or air. Check to see if you've got fuel flow at the manifold. Check to see if you've got a spark. Check the air flow meter. If you think it might be spark, start and the leads and work your way back through the electrical system that generates the spark.

As above wiring diagram will help, or find a service manual.

Good luck mate!

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#6 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 11:08 AM

Actually, I have been caught out by this before. Just a suggestion;

Check that the earthing eyelet is actually attached to it's mount on the passenger side of the intake manifold or if it's there, make sure it's mounted properly. It sits on the back of the closet runner to the firewall.

When doing engine swaps it's easy to forget this one, it's what earths the ignition system so it can function. If you're getting inconsistent spark, it might be loose.

Another suggestion is the crank or cam angle sensors. Car won't start if they're not plugged in or naffed it.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#7 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 24 January 2016 - 11:57 AM

I'm assuming the engine you pulled out was also an ej15? Otherwise the wiring will different. Is the ej15 multi or single point fuel injection?

tIeW8DE.png

#8 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 06:00 AM

ok

couple things.

1. the extra spark you see is ok - Subaru uses a 'wasted spark' system, where the other cylinder at TDC which is exhausting gas from the previous firing cycle gets a spark. It does nothing, but saves on ignition coils (2 vs 4)

2. Did you get rid of the 3yo gas and put fresh fuel in ?  As others have said, its either spark or fuel. You've confirmed spark (so crank and cam sensors are also presumably working), Check you have fuel pressure and flush out any old gunk.

#9 Allan

Allan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:28 AM

Hey guys, thanks for all your suggestions. I appreciate. Today I'm one happy guy, the car finally started. I took her out for a test drive, she still has the picking of a young stud :D she needs a major service though. But generally I'm happy she started.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users