#1 ChrisLovell

ChrisLovell

Southwest Mexican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports and flying

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:54 AM

So as my title says, my fuel gauge is moving up and down on my drives. Talked to a work mate who might have a clue and he reckons a bad earth, but then where do I find the earth in question. Or is it possible the earth for my cluster isn't good enough? Since I have a BFM with a harness made by Nick is it possible that the earth isn't right? I've only noticed this issue since working on my car the other week when I installed my GT Spec B brakes and braided lines, so it's possible I could have even knocked something.. I just don't know where to start.

outback Rs edit

Threads: Chris' MY01 Outback

Chris' MY93 RS Turbo

#2 andrew_k

andrew_k

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 04:00 PM

The level sensor is a float attached to what looks like the bare innards of a potentiometer, submerged in the tank. Removing the fuel pump assembly will give you a good view of the solder points to ensure they're good (should be shiny and solid).

Next, the fuel level sensor plugs into a harness at the top of the pump assembly. Inspect that it's seated properly, possibly unlatch it and spray some CRC contact cleaner in the plugs and plug it back in. 

Third, the harness then has another plug underneath the rear seat base, which joins it to the main cabin harness running along the floor on the driver's side. Again inspect, possibly clean contact.

This harness continues to the plastic sideboard next to the driver's right foot, where there are large plugs that are well fastened. Honestly I doubt this socket would be the cause of your problem, but you asked about all the earth circuit connection points for the fuel level, and this is one of them.

From there we're at the dash & instrument panel harness, which will plug into your custom instrument panel harness.

Now you have a list of every connector in the fuel level circuit and its location. Good luck :)

#3 ChrisLovell

ChrisLovell

Southwest Mexican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports and flying

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:30 PM

Cheers mate, I'll try and take a look at it soon hopefully. Not something I want to leave to end up causing trouble later on

outback Rs edit

Threads: Chris' MY01 Outback

Chris' MY93 RS Turbo

#4 gromtech

gromtech

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 06:36 PM

I noticed this too when I put my BFM in last week

#5 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,449 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:00 PM

Swap your old cluster back in and see if it does it. Can at least rule something out easily then before pulling half the car apart

tIeW8DE.png

#6 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 22 December 2016 - 08:43 AM

Is the temp gauge stable?

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#7 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 01:22 PM

I note that there's two sorts of fuel sender configs, whcih I assume are BFM and non-BFM.

One uses the ECU to bias the sender unit, the other has no connecton to the ECU, and biases through the cluster.

Could be you still have the ECU connection ?

Attached File  fuel_1.jpg   109.15KB   3 downloadsAttached File  fuel_2.jpg   75.92KB   3 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users