13 replies to this topic

#1 Glenn 20

Glenn 20

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:16 AM

Hey guys,

Im running, GC8 body, 01 Buyege with wiring/ecu with 03 STI engine, running no AVCS

(note...wiring/Ecu was mean't to be 04 when i bought it, but turns out its not).

Is there anyone running a STI combo in there wrx's without AVCS?

Is it REALLY laggy or is it enjoyable still to drive? 

Not after a power house, but want something nice to drive daily.

Cheers

#2 andrew_k

andrew_k

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:55 AM

I'll be running AVCS in mine, but I did manage to finish reading the 400+ page nasioc "EJ207 owners?" thread, and every "my swap is so sluggish, what could be wrong?!" ended up being AVCS not working, and were always fixed by wiring up AVCS, then seeing a marked improvement.  Have you done a TGV delete, could you use those wires for the AVCS?

#3 l2eeFer13

l2eeFer13

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Subarus and HSVs

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:39 AM

Yeah ill be running it in mine as well. Just need the 4 plugs so i can make a loom to the ECU

#4 andrew_k

andrew_k

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:58 AM

AUDM GD wrx engine harness has AVCS, confirmed by gotitrex. My 03 has it, but your 01 definitely doesn't? I wonder what year it came in...

If you don't want to DIY a loom addition and do want AVCS, it'll likely be cheaper to pickup the engine harness from a wrecker than the $200 USD + shipping for the IA Perf kit.

#5 Lukeoly

Lukeoly

Make it BLAAACK!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Interests:Boost

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:00 PM

All JDM Bugeyes had AVCS but ours didn't get it until '02 (as well as the '01 and '02 Forester GT).

My car pretty much has the opposite setup lol. It has the JDM wiring and ECU (with AVCS) running non-AVCS heads. To run the engine without it, the AVCS tables were just zeroed out and the additional sensor CELs disabled.

You could swap the ECU with a JDM one (no need to worry about the immobiliser like the AUDM) and then wire up the AVCS using the TGV wires.

ndvgQm2.jpg

#6 Glenn 20

Glenn 20

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:16 PM

Yeah, doesn't have it. :( The 207 harness has 4 extra wires, the 01 harness is missing 4 wires. But a JDM ECU and a wiring kit might be the way to go. :)

Atm though im having troubling flashing the 01 Ecu, i can copy and view the Rom, but Can't flash to it due to 4.3volts. The jumper plug(white plug) is missing to bridge it to get 12v to flash.

I found the wires, but still get 4.3volts. :(

#7 Glenn 20

Glenn 20

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:19 PM

Only reason i asked about AVCS is cause, if i run it tuned on the 01 Ecu without AVCS for a few month while i get the parts, how sluggish would it be. :) lol

#8 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:37 PM

AVCS first came in MY03 WRX.

MY01-02 WRX/GT Foz do not have it.

MY01-02 STI do have it.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#9 Glenn 20

Glenn 20

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:44 PM

Yeah, thats it. :) 

Because the car was men't to have 04 wiring and ECU. My plan was to get a EJ207,tune it and you have a awesome Gc8 combo. But i did't check the Ecu and wiring very closely. upon installing the engine and engine running fine. I went to get a tune, to find out it was 01 Ecu and wiring So no AVCS. :( My mistaken for buying it, but have learned and still learning a lot. lol

#10 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:49 PM

Nothing wrong with no AVCS!

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#11 Glenn 20

Glenn 20

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:44 AM

Well,thats my main question. :) Can you live without AVCS,if the car still has some power,icpuld live with it for years.Or maybe just get ecu and wiring a year or so down the track.

#12 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:58 AM

I guess the question you'd need to ask is how do you go about setting up the cams to get the best drivability out of it until you get the AVCS active

#13 REXXYY

REXXYY

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Interests:Cars

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:49 PM

I have the AVCS disabled on my built 03 STI. I went for a set of Brian Crower adjustable cam gears instead so that my engine builder Leigh at Deshele Performance could set up the cam timing to his specs. The car drove awesome. Currently doing a new build and he will adjust it slightly different to suit the bigger turbo set up. You could look into doing this on yours. 

Deshele Perfomance / Dahtone Racing / Pro Speed Racing / Full Noise Fabrication & Performance / Micks Motorsports

#14 Glenn 20

Glenn 20

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 09:18 PM

Update! Thought i should do one. :)

So Been awhile, But My Gc8, with 01/02 Bugeye wiring/ECU and 03STI EJ207. Is tuned and driving fine with AVCS Cams, but the AVCS is not hocked up for 5,000kms now. I do have a loom ready to go in, to be hocked up. But waiting on my 03STI ECU with Carberry.

i'll be running this setup without AVCS for awhile, so if i have issues will update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users