#1 podmak

podmak

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:02 PM

Another day, another question.

This one has been scraping in my head for some time now. I was wondering, the engine in my Australian shell (1995 Liberty) is a Japanese import (EJ20HDWAJE). So, for that reason, I obviously can't use the VIN that came with the chassis. 

And there are parts, such as valve cover gaskets, that simply aren't interchangeable. 

Every time I come to the dealer, they ask me for a VIN number; And I get it, it's the single most reliable way to find the right parts, but... what about twin turbo? :( 

So I am wondering, how do you guys (other EJ20H owners) go about this? Is there a VIN that's ok to use with the genuine dealer database? Or is there a more elegant solution somewhere? 

Alternatively, is there a car with 2.0l DOHC that is a native to Australian market (Like, you know, the Impreza... have they had the 2 liter with two turbos on them, ever?)? Or an engine that uses the same heads as EJ20H? 

The bottom line is, I want to buy valve cover gaskets for my twin turbo, and I seem to be hitting dead ends wherever I go. 

gallery_5378_147_9927.png

#2 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:12 PM

try   opposed forces for the subaru p/n http://opposedforces.com/parts/

Take that to the dealer and explain the situation.

If they're difficult -- tell them to get knotted and use subyclub, subarugenuineparts from the US, or partsouq.

#3 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:01 PM

Oh - that parts lookup also means you can see if the part you're looking for is the same as some other, more common, engine like a EJ205 or 207.

#4 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:04 PM

Oh - that parts lookup also means you can see if the part you're looking for is the same as some other, more common, engine like a EJ205 or 207.

Best bet would be a similar era 25D. I used 25D parts on my 20K. Little bit different from the 20H but its a good place to start

tIeW8DE.png

#5 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:58 PM

Any parts non TT specific should be just about identical to say WRX of the same era. I always used same era WRX stuff with my EJ20R and any TT specific seals/gaskets stuff is pretty much identical throughout the TT lifespan. So if you need any TT related parts a B4 VIN number will do.

Once you "take away" all the TT stuff, they're all pretty much the same between WRX/GT, it's just the turbo setup that differs. 

Surely a WRX VIN of the same era will get you what you need.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#6 andrew_k

andrew_k

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:45 AM

So if you need any TT related parts a B4 VIN number will do

This! I have VINs or frame numbers (JDM vin equiv) for the 3 vehicles I'm frankensteining together. Punch then all into partsouq's "My Garage", then you can pull up any part from any of those vehicles to get the subaru part number, as well as equiv parts from other manufacturers. Worth looking around though, some stuff is cheaper or the same bought locally, eg tie rod ends.

#7 podmak

podmak

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:36 AM

Wowo, this is good stuff, thank you people of the internet :)

#8 podmak

podmak

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:06 AM

try   opposed forces for the subaru p/n http://opposedforces.com/parts/

Take that to the dealer and explain the situation.

If they're difficult -- tell them to get knotted and use subyclub, subarugenuineparts from the US, or partsouq.

I just wanted to let you know, that the partsouq page has the EJ20H listed, and the parts are on the way! Thanks heaps duncanm, I found your comment most helpful!

#9 Ordex

Ordex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 04:27 PM

Another site I have used to get parts for my EJ20H is Amayama. So far I've found them to always have the parts available and be cheaper than part souq, however delivery is slower

#10 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:28 PM

Ordex -- same experience here.

They seem to have a different warehousing model - Amayama appears to coordinate sales from suppliers around the world who then deliver themselves, whilst Partsouq has an ginourmous warehouse in the middle east.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dealer, genuine parts, import, VIN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users