54 replies to this topic

#1 Usas

Usas

Gen juan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:15 PM

So I made the mistake of purchasing a car before seeing it in person at all and then getting it shipped from Canberra to Sydney. Probably not the best thing to do when it's such an old car and there's so much that could go wrong. Anyway it's not too far gone to warrant all the trouble of getting it back into it's original state..

I've been looking at getting a RS Turbo for a few years now and decided when I saw this one it was good. Blown engine (guessing bent valve as 0 compression in cylinder 4), no rust at all, decent white paint, it's genuine and I had a fair amount of free time if anything goes wrong. 

I'm hoping the engine just needs new valves but I'm unsure of the km's on the engine due to it being a replacement. The stripping has already started so it shouldn't be too long till I'll be pulling the engine out. Due to it sitting for ~8 years in a barn the majority of the rubber hoses are perished and the car in general is dirty all over; spiders, dirt and the usual oil/grease everywhere. One good thing that comes out of the 8 years of nothing is the Km's on the body. Only 125,000km's. The engine is meant to be a Japanese RS engine by looking as recipts but no mention of it's km's..

When the car arrived I though I'd made a very bad mistake but slowly I've changed my mind and it's just going to be my project to bring it back to it's factory condition as much as I can. My plan is to have it at least in a decent state and registered for HVC16 or if I get luckly start on some suspension/engine mods. 

So when the car arrived I knew at once there was going to be alot of work needed.

25242467729_829f4f1430_b.jpg

I think I found the main reason the car was dead, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.. It was the first thing removed as I couldn't deal with something like this being on the car still.

24979518994_f142e8c1b9_b.jpg

More evidence that its had a very hard life, I'm going to have to spend days fixing it all back up.
25610023135_94d836956f_b.jpg

This one is even worse...
25583921646_eaaaa8e9aa_b.jpg

The interior is luckily is very good condition, I had a crash pad laying around so I added that asap. I've got a few small parts lined up just to finish it off completely, the most important bit being a replacement steering wheel. The boost gauge will have to be relocated to another spot and I'll need to run some better vacuum hose for it. 
24983296553_0527af3e5e_b.jpg

This is what's happened so far to the RS, I've pretty much decided to pull the motor, get the heads cleaned and new valves put in, hope that the block is in good shape and the rings are all good..

A list of the things I've discovered on the car so far;
- Microtech turbo timer
- Full 3" steel TBE 
- MRT rear sway bar and another bigger sway bar on the front
- Springs are cut  :dash2:
- Turbo is long gone
- Manifold has a Oxygen sensor in it but it has no wires?
- Oil Sensor seems to be replaced with a aftermarket but that leads to no where..
- Car was run with NO coolant in WAIC..

I'll be working on the car everyday till I can't do much else but I'll keep updates for when I get to major milestones. 

Past

1990 Subaru Liberty GX

1998 Subaru Liberty GX wagon 

1992 Subaru Liberty RS Turbo

​Present

1993 Subaru Liberty RS Turbo Wagon

#2 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,770 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:30 PM

O2 sensor in the manifold is a good indication it's a JDM motor. Oz RS's had it in the dump. But since the engine is naff anyway!

Looks like you have a big refurb job on your hands! Take your time with it and get it back to it's former glory. It'll be a long journey, but there will be that moment when you step back, look at in admiration, and know the hard work payed off.

It's a shame not much care was taken with it in it's past life. On the upside, at least it wasn't parted out like the rest of them when people give up on them.

Best of luck!

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#3 Miguel

Miguel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:38 AM

Damn that interior is mint, jelly. Other indicators, some jap engines will have alloy cam cover breather boxes, half moons and I believe most should have an alloy filler neck which yours doesn't appear to. If it's an auto GT engine it likely won't have an oil cooler or any of the closed deck cross hatching. If it's an Aussie engine EJ20BUB will be laser etched into the top of the blockon a flat section where the bell housing mates. What heads are on it 2 bolt hla heads with ribs top and bottom or single bolt heads with ribs only on the top half of can covers?

MjC8i57.jpg

#4 motoboy76

motoboy76

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Interests:Subaru's, Dirt and road bikes......

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:49 AM

Nice to see you got it and have started to tidy it up, that interior looks sweet...

Good to see another one being fixed up...

Sounds a bit like mine buying it without seeing it and getting it transported....

But that's half the fun right...

Might see you at HVC I'll have to see how I go....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 zahmad

zahmad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:22 PM

Full resto to original is the way to go. Will be worth a bit of coin in the future I reckon especially since it low kms...

#6 Matty_Lib

Matty_Lib

rslyf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 04:39 PM

Awesome stuff! Keen to watch the progress on it :)

#7 Usas

Usas

Gen juan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:31 PM

O2 sensor in the manifold is a good indication it's a JDM motor. Oz RS's had it in the dump.

That makes sense. There's a past receipt I found from 2005 that says it had a Japanese auto engine put in it.

Damn that interior is mint, jelly. Other indicators, some jap engines will have alloy cam cover breather boxes, half moons and I believe most should have an alloy filler neck which yours doesn't appear to. If it's an auto GT engine it likely won't have an oil cooler or any of the closed deck cross hatching. If it's an Aussie engine EJ20BUB will be laser etched into the top of the blockon a flat section where the bell housing mates. What heads are on it 2 bolt hla heads with ribs top and bottom or single bolt heads with ribs only on the top half of can covers?

I found it's a Japanese auto engine with no cross hatching at the front so that must mean it's open deck block.. The heads are 2 bolts with ribs top and bottom. 

Past

1990 Subaru Liberty GX

​Present

#8 motoboy76

motoboy76

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:21 AM

Yeah I think that means it's a open deck block....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 Usas

Usas

Gen juan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:56 PM

New engine acquired! This one looks to be another auto Japanese EJ20G but it's got all the cross hatchings that means it's a closed deck. It's got the alloy oil filler and half moons but not the alloy cam cover breather box's. The manifold are also a little different so I'll have to strip both of them and use as much part from the original one as possible. 

I've started stripping both motor's in prep for the swap, just waiting on a engine crane. Most of the hoses on both engine have perished so I'll need to replace most of then. The plan is to have the engine in and running in the next few weeks then get start getting it ready for rego..

25646306121_e058a21c45_b.jpg

25440641010_4c3cf9db14_b.jpg

Past

1990 Subaru Liberty GX

​Present

#10 church

church

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:39 AM

subbed!

#11 Reevesy

Reevesy

Adriano

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:45 AM

With the manifolds being a 20g they should be the same. But if they are different(I can't imagine it would be unless it is only a 20g bottom end) just use the original one in the car will just bolt straight on.

#12 motoboy76

motoboy76

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:13 AM

Glad you sorted a engine buddy, closed deck nice...

You a streaking ahead of me though.....

Mine might be going for paint this week will update my thread with more details when it goes...

Have fun dropping the new engine in.....

#13 Usas

Usas

Gen juan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 09:01 PM

Major stage reached.

Got stuck with nothing to do while it was raining earlier this week so decide to move the boost gauge to a more legal and less obvious location. Just got to get it finished with some vinyl or something to clean it up. Also discovered a bad leak from the rear window that appeared. Once it cleared up enough I filled the top area with silicone as it looked like the original stuff had just degraded over time. Will find out if it worked soon enough.

25806836401_a0d21aef2b_b.jpg

Also was given a TD04L by a friend because it had a fair bit of shaft play. Bought a cheap rebuild kit which looked to be okay but was a huge pain installing. I'll need to make up a bend for the turbo since it's a straight entry, luckily there's a heap of information on how to do it properly around so shouldn't be too hard. Both VF10's were too far gone so this is mainly to get me though till I can get a TD05 and a VOS chip installed. 

Now for the main part. Lot's of work done today, stripped the old engine right down as much as possible getting it ready for removal. I've found lots of connectors with wires either just attached or completely broken so it's lucky I had to strip the engine all down in a way..

25806834321_4dc300ea3c_b.jpg

We expected it to take most of the day for removal but once the top gearbox bolts were undone it pretty much split itself off from the engine. Made sure the clutch fork was properly disengaged and pulled it out completely. Clutch is very rusty but looks like it's got a fair bit of meat left. Got to decide if I need a new one and also a new flywheel.

25901772775_cd75f476e6_b.jpg

Gave it all a good degrease and hose down ready for the new engine eventually.

25269053404_62d8082993_b.jpg

I'm hoping to have the new engine installed hopefully next weekend as long as I can get an engine crane from somewhere, we just used a block and tackle this time but I don't trust the support with the extra weight. Once the engine is in I'll be on the search for some either stock springs or king springs as the current ones are cut and sit way too low. Then check it all over and go for rego! 

Past

1990 Subaru Liberty GX

​Present

#14 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,847 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 19 March 2016 - 09:19 PM

Nice work. Curious as to why you removed the timing belt and so on to pull the engine out?

tIeW8DE.png

#15 Usas

Usas

Gen juan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 09:27 PM

Nice work. Curious as to why you removed the timing belt and so on to pull the engine out?

It's all going on the other engine as it looks like it's all new gear. I ran out of things to do one day so just took it off  :P Also I was using a verandah cross beam so wanted as little weight as possible 

Past

1990 Subaru Liberty GX

​Present

#16 Miguel

Miguel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 10:23 PM

I have a 90deg entry TD04 compressor cover if you're interested in swapping for the straight entry one? Sure beats bodging up a 90 deg that's always slightly too far proud to fit nicely ;)

MjC8i57.jpg

#17 Usas

Usas

Gen juan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 12:25 PM

I have a 90deg entry TD04 compressor cover if you're interested in swapping for the straight entry one? Sure beats bodging up a 90 deg that's always slightly too far proud to fit nicely ;)

I'd definitely want to do that but is it a TD04L? The normal TD04's are slightly smaller in compressor size so I'm not sure it would fit

Past

1990 Subaru Liberty GX

​Present

#18 Miguel

Miguel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:29 PM

Yeah mate td04l. Off a JDM auto v2 wrx

MjC8i57.jpg

#19 Usas

Usas

Gen juan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:03 PM

It's running! After the last month and abit of working on the car it started second try after needing some petrol. Made sure the clutch and brakes worked then had a very quick run up and down the street.

(Hope this works, did it on my phone)

The smoke is from the original vf10 that has a bad leak but I've got a td04 lined up to replace it. Ive just got a few more important things to do then it's time for rego

Past

1990 Subaru Liberty GX

​Present

#20 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,847 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:44 PM

Nice work. Do like the sound of an RS. They always seem to sound different to the normal turbo subaru

tIeW8DE.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users