4 replies to this topic

#1 Chookteef

Chookteef

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 02:47 PM

Hey guys,

I am currently rebuilding a Subaru L series with a mate (who has no idea what hes doing)

The best way to describe the situation is that I am trying to do a jigsaw puzzle and someone comes in every week or so and throws all the pieces around the room. Its a very difficult job, trying to piece and engine back together when someone keeps removing shit. So I have banned him from touching anything.

However I am left with the entire distributor out of its housing and no markings whatsoever, he has also gone and moved the car forward (in gear....this is why we cant have nice things) since removing it. so really everything is everywhere and im wanting to throw my hands up and give up.

any advice as to where to even begin? Do i need to do TDC or is there a simpler way to get that dist. back into place?

thanks 
Chook

#2 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 04:48 PM

stick down the spark hole on #1 ?

#3 Sladdo

Sladdo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:40 AM

How'd you go? You find TDC with a marking on the flywheel. On top of the motor there's a rubber plug you pull out so you can see the flywheel. From memory drivers side cam marking will point up. Passenger side cam marking will point down (or vice versa i cant remember) & a marking will line up on flywheel. If need be bud I can go take a photo of mine.

#4 Sladdo

Sladdo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:54 AM

As for refitting the dissy, this is how I used to do it in my 351 Clevo. I'm sure its the same process in any motor. Find TDC, then Id rotate it back just a little. Find #1 on your dissy. When you go to fit the dissy, you will find it wont just click in, it has to teeth correctly with the oil pump & by doing this, moves your rotor button away from #1. So by having the motor just before TDC, when I slightly rotate the crank, the dissy pops in nicely just as I hit TDC. Its one of those things thats easier said then explained (for me anyway). Have a play with it & you'll see what I mean. Its just a matter of mucking around with it to get it to all slot in lined up. Remember you will need to know your firing order too. Hope this somewhat helps.

#5 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:27 PM

Pretty much as other have already said - find the tdc mark on the flywheel through the bell housing on the back of the engine block up behind the throttle body area.

Then you need to work out when the engine is at the tdc on the firing stroke for #1 cylinder. Or find tdc, put the dizzy in, as mentioned rotate the rotor button back a tooth to slide it in where it needs to be, it'll rotate back into place as you drop it in ;)

Put cap on and try to start. If it does weird stuff like back firing etc, pull the dizzy and rotate the rotor button 180 degrees and refit. Try to start again - hopefully this time it'll start (and run like shite).

To do the timing: static timing needs to be set at 20 degrees before tdc - you also need to connect some plug above the driver's feet. I can't remember if it's the black or the green set. I'm 99% sure one is for setting the timing, the other is for reading codes - or if I've got this mixed up with the early EJ gear. It's been a while since I've done the timing on an MPFI.

All the best with it ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Edit: timing is 1-3-2-4... And the dizzy rotates anti clockwise
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users