• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:25 PM

So after continuing to find loads of oil in my IC and throttle body everytime I pulled the car apart I finally bit the bullet and put a catch can on.

Attached File  20160305_093021.jpg   80.76KB   33 downloads

I bought my unit from Autobarn for about $70. It is stainless. Nothing too fancy. There are cheaper and better ones on ebay but I had the car apart and didn't want to wait.

First step was to find a spot for it. There's no space in the B4 engine bay! I finally managed to squeeze it in next to the IC and master cylinder behind secondary turbo and above the secondary dump pipe. There is less than a cm of clearance either side. This spot was perfect though as it is close to the crank case breather.

Attached File  20160308_183221.jpg   126.42KB   32 downloads

I managed to rework the mounting bracket to make use of the bolt along the top of the firewall (see picture). It is positioned on an angle so that it wouldn't knock on the IC or master cylinder.

Attached File  20160308_183132.jpg   97.98KB   23 downloads

Next step is working out how to run the lines. I elected to run a single line from the crankcase to the catch can. From the catch can I tee out to the PCV and intake pipe. Subsequent to my install I was told that it is just as effective to tee from the crankcase to the PCV and catch can, then from the catch can to the intake pipe. Check out the attached diagram for an example of the alternative (Thanks Jimbo).

Attached File  ccan_zpspcgkuzmb.jpg   21.91KB   23 downloads

The pipes run down from the catch can to the crankcase and tees under the intercooler off to the PCV and intake pipe. Because the hoses run so close to the secondary dump I decided to make a heat shield. I used a long bolt down from the IC mount to hold it in place.

Attached File  20160319_100020.jpg   91.42KB   22 downloads

The hoses are clear so I could see what oil was getting through. The catch can didn't come with any material or filter to block the oil getting past. I used steel wool as that's what I had. Seems to block most of it but I can see some starting to get through after prolonged use. Thinking I might try other materials.

Attached File  20160319_095914.jpg   130.84KB   20 downloads

So far it appears to be working. I haven't removed the intercooler since but it has already caught a decent amount of crap.

Also pictured is the little fuel filters I put between my BBoD and any source of possible contamination. This was an idea of my own and they were blocking oil getting into the BBoD before I put the catch can on and there hasn't been any side affects.

Attached File  20160320_162407.jpg   75.4KB   21 downloads

Attached Files

The B4 Bomber - 2002 MY03 Subaru Liberty B4, ADM, Manual, EJ208. 

#2 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:39 PM

You will find that catch can will just blow vapor back into the inlet. You need a baffled can to do a good job.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#3 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:45 PM

Are you saying the steel wool won't do a good enough job? Seems to be stopping most of it.

#4 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:44 PM

It'll do an ok job. Better than nothing.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#5 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:19 AM

What material would you suggest?

#6 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:07 AM

With the way you have routed it you will be drawing the blow by vapors during off boost driving into the intake manifold. On boost your pcv will close and these vapors will begin to head toward the catch can, however, the vapors need time to condense out onto the filter medium and once the pcv opens again (off boost) you will probably pull a lot if it backwards through the line back into the intake manifold. Its not a huge deal because it should just get burnt by the motor although part of the reason for a catch can is to have strict control of what the motor burns.

The best way to route it is to have the catch can installed between crank case and the pcv so everything has to go through the catch can.

Follow me on Insta: @brzdiy

#7 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:47 AM

The best way to route it is to have the catch can installed between crank case and the pcv so everything has to go through the catch can.

- You might be confused.

The diagram doesn't represent how I routed it, but how I was told to later. I actually have the crankcase routed directly to the catch can, then after the catch can I tee to the PCV and intake pipe. Everything has to go through my catch can with my current setup. I included the Jimbo's diagram for information purposes.

The routing options are a topic worth debating. I'm interested to hear more about the pro's and con's of each setup.

#8 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 10:44 AM

Fair enough, I couldn't tell much from the photos so just looked at your diagram.

The pros and cons are simple, one way is the easier way to route it which only does the half the job. The other way is more difficult to route but is 100% effective if you use a good catch can with enough volume and baffles.

#9 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:18 AM

That routing solution is a very good way of doing it. you're essentially plumbing the can directly at the crankcase outlet.

I'm not a fan of steel wool in cans as it can break down, the  you have errand bits of metal floating around.
What I used was Lawnmower Foam Air Filters, and the best way to make sure it's filtered/ condensed properly is to run a hose from the inside the can inlet pipe to almost the bottom of the catch can.
that way all the inclming vapours have to travel the full length through the condensing medium to get out of the can.

#10 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 01:47 PM

I'm not a fan of steel wool in cans as it can break down, the  you have errand bits of metal floating around.
What I used was Lawnmower Foam Air Filters, and the best way to make sure it's filtered/ condensed properly is to run a hose from the inside the can inlet pipe to almost the bottom of the catch can.
that way all the inclming vapours have to travel the full length through the condensing medium to get out of the can.

- I'll switch to foam and run a hose inside the catch can. It is currently stopping most but not all.

What's the best shop to find those lawnmower filters? Bunnings have any?

#11 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 02:31 PM

yep

http://www.bunnings....lement_p3400370

#12 PeeKay

PeeKay

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Tsssstsutsutsutsutsu

Posted 30 March 2016 - 02:39 PM

Good info here thanks lads. I'll re-check how mine is plumbed up this weekend

#13 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:04 PM

I can't help but think those foam filters would decrease suction a fair amount once loaded up with oil.

#14 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:06 AM

- so I'm guessing you cut it up?

#15 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:37 AM

I can't help but think those foam filters would decrease suction a fair amount once loaded up with oil.

- You were right. The oil choked up the filter and bypassed the catch can via the valve covers.

I have changed my existing setup and added a catch can to the valve covers. The second catch can lives next to the air box.

#16 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 12:43 PM

Some fine steel mesh would be good, maybe some of that fire proof gutter guard stuff, cut into size to fit in the can and do several layers with a gap between layers. You just want something for oil to condense on but with holes big enough so they don't clog.

#17 MY01WRX-Wagon

MY01WRX-Wagon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:56 PM

Do you mean steel wool or a Stainless scourer, scourer seems to do a good job.

#18 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:39 AM

I tried the stainless steel scourer first, then the foam filter, now I've switched back.

My catch cans are catching a lot of water. I suspect I might be doing a headgasket soon.

This weekend I thought I was up a creek without a paddle when the car overheated. Assumed it was the gasket but thankfully it was just a split coolent hose coming off the secondary turbo. Managed to fix it on the side of road and continue the rest of the 6 hour journey.

#19 MY01WRX-Wagon

MY01WRX-Wagon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:05 AM

We hope it's not a HG.

#20 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:22 PM

I have done some research. I no longer think my head gasket necessarily needs doing. I'm not losing water.

We get some very cold nights with a lot of condensation here. I'm running very thin oil (next change I'm going thicker). The hoses to my catch can are quite long. I've been told that all these could be adding up to moisture I'm seeing. Finally, when I was seeing excessive moisture my single catch can was too restrictive. Now I have two.

How much water can I expect my catch cans to collect from the crankcase and heads? How much is too much?

I plan to do a compression test. It should give me an idea if there is a problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users