• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:46 AM

I was 100% on the "no manual no care" bandwagon, but now, I'm kinda flipping and warming to the auto. (Sydney traffic especially) However, it has to be responsive and nimble, and not sluggish. I'll give it a test run when it comes out before I pass judgement I think.

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#22 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:47 AM

Nothing wrong with an automatic at all.

Actually my old boy considered the new Outback but said it was too big

That's what she said.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#23 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:47 AM

Yeah, there's one in my apartment carpark, they are looong, and quite wide. Reminiscent of the bigger Euro SUVs.

Makes my Foz look like a Jimny. 

#24 zahmad

zahmad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:54 AM

Ah yeah, there ya go. 

Have you driven a Subaru CVT zahmad? I'm interested to know what it's like. Kong actually says his is brilliant in his little Impreza.

I have, we have a Gen V 2.5 CVT Outback in the family. They are more of a Gen 1 CVT from Subaru so throttle response is a bit slow. You have to drive it differently to an automatic to get the most out of it in terms of fuel economy.

#25 andrew_k

andrew_k

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 12:19 PM

CVT is a good option, but making it the only option is unfortunate for an upspec'd turbo subaru.

#26 comport3

comport3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:40 PM

Is the engine the same as the WRX? What does the tuning potential look like? If it can hit 200kW ATW on stock turbo/intervals i can forgive the CVT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#27 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:30 AM

I have, we have a Gen V 2.5 CVT Outback in the family. They are more of a Gen 1 CVT from Subaru so throttle response is a bit slow. You have to drive it differently to an automatic to get the most out of it in terms of fuel economy.

It's SUbaru's Throttle mapping which is a bit slow, not a CVT issue as such
Easy fixed with ECU tuning

#28 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:45 AM

You are bang on that the newest Outback is hawt Jimbo. Compared to the shitty Outback based on the Gen V Liberty the newest model looks solid, if I were to buy a newer Subaru I'd be picking up a 3.6 Outback and not the Levorg.

That being said, the Levorg looks great. I acknowledge it's still very WRX, but to be honest the Liberty is now so huge, a Liberty wagon would need a lot of grunt to be considered a sports model. Add to that Subaru have discontinued turbo Libertys. So really your performance Liberty wagon will now be the Outback.

The Levorg is pretty much the same size as the Gen4 Liberty, and Almost at good looking.

I'd take a Levorg any day of the week,
Add some Forester Suspension and All Terrains.. :D

#29 Sean Clohesy

Sean Clohesy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 07:40 PM

Took the GT-S for a good drive today in the Yarra Valley. Awesome, I want it

#30 Bumpty

Bumpty

My wob dreams are now wet dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,489 posts
  • Interests:Drinking wine with wob by the legacy side

Posted 01 June 2016 - 11:09 PM

Touched myself this arvo. Very nice.

#31 andrew_k

andrew_k

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:55 PM

Also touched Bumpty this arvo. Stock mapping lacks throttle response. Such is the way in this new Drive By Wire world.

#32 STI_Tom

STI_Tom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 01:35 PM

My concern with the CVT is power loss through the system, as well as reliability/overheating issues that can arise when pushing them hard on a track.

The only CVT cars I've ever driven felt like an auto with slipping clutch packs, and fork all power made it to the wheels while it was adjusting its ratios (which is pretty much 90% of the time).

I'd assume Subaru has tuned the CVT into the SI drive so it holds rpm on a track, would be nothing worse than it going back to an overdrive ratio while taking a long sweeping bend or while braking.

2rr85lh.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users