• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hunty

Hunty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:43 PM

So as the title says I've blown the head gasket on my MY03 WRX, motor had 177k before it went. Car is in pretty good condition otherwise.

Seems like the going rate is about 6k for a rebuild of the EJ205 with OEM parts + ARP studs or about 8 if we use a EJ207 short block and reco the EJ205 heads

MSR seems like the logical choice for the rebuild and tune. 

Is it really worth rebuilding? Or better to just drop a wrecker sourced EJ205 in and sell it off or trade it in for something newer. Insurance is still 1300 odd a year on this wrx and the market value is only 9500-10k

Hmmm decisions

#2 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:55 PM

Why rebuild the engine if you only blew the gaskets? Did you drive it while it was over heating? If not just pull the engine out, heads off and machined, new head gaskets, ARP studs and maybe clutch/timing belt if they're due. Then engine back in. 

Would only be 1-2.5k maybe. ​Depends how nuts you went with replacing bits and pieces. 

If you cooked the engine a 207 shortblock is 2500. Put that in with your heads and some head studs and youre done. 

I should add thats doing it all your self. That said i cant see how someone could charge 6k to do a set of head gaskets...

tIeW8DE.png

#3 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:56 PM

Call Kris at Rising Sun Subaru for a price on an EJ207
Last I saw was about $2200 for a short motor.
Add gaskets, your heads and bolt ons,
Drive away.

#4 LPM_B4

LPM_B4

LPM_FOZ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:12 PM

So as the title says I've blown the head gasket on my MY03 WRX, motor had 177k before it went. Car is in pretty good condition otherwise.

Seems like the going rate is about 6k for a rebuild of the EJ205 with OEM parts + ARP studs or about 8 if we use a EJ207 short block and reco the EJ205 heads

MSR seems like the logical choice for the rebuild and tune. 

Is it really worth rebuilding? Or better to just drop a wrecker sourced EJ205 in and sell it off or trade it in for something newer. Insurance is still 1300 odd a year on this wrx and the market value is only 9500-10k

Hmmm decisions

Ichiban imports in ingleburn does a drive in drive out 207 with new gaskets ARP2000 studs and a head service for $5,500 area add another 1000 for fresh oil pump, Tbelt kit and water pump and you have a bullet proof 250kw motor

#5 Hunty

Hunty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:38 PM

What happened is that it seems like there had been a slow coolant leak over a few months, perhaps a small leak in the HG, on the last drive after about a 35 minute drive on the freeway at 110kmh ( temp gauge was showing normal), turned off the freeway onto side streets so driving around at 50kmh about 5 minutes later blew a hole in the plastic top tank of the radiator, water and steam all over the place and a massive crack/hole in the radiator top tank and temperature gauge went through the roof immediately. Shutdown the car straight away and organised a mechanic. radiator was original from 2003 and the mechanic said it was common for them to fail once they get around 10 years old. So he replaced the radiator with a new koyo one but could not bleed all the air out of the system. running the engine now just blows massive bubbles into the over flow tank and you can see some puffs of white smoke/steam coming out the exhaust.

Unfortunately, living in tiny apartment in sydney means I don't have the room or access to a workshop to do the work myself and I haven't replaced an engine in about 15 years so i have to pay for labor.

The 6k figure was for a drive in errr tow in, drive out rebuild of the existing EJ205 short block, ie pistons, rods, bearings etc etc using ARP studs plus machining the heads, timing belt, water pump, thermostat, basically all the 200k service items and a retune. same for the 8k figure, but using the 207 short block to start with.

Reason given for rebuilding the whole thing rather than just doing the HG was that its done 177,000k's and the "bottom ends a bit noisy" but that was what All Drive Subaroo said, and I know they're a bit eager to "replace all the things!!" and if you're pulling the motor anyway you might as well rebuild the bottom

Dan at carmods has a EJ207 going for 2450 including shipping, i'm not running crazy power.  just intake, turbo back exhaust and a tune so about 150-160kw so the EJ207 is probably over kill?

Not sure how you guys get these crazy cheap prices, I guess if you're doing all the work yourself.

but when you add it all up.. it gets expensive pretty quick for example using some ball park figures

2450 EJ207

600 Reco/machine EJ205 heads

700 ARP head studs 

500 master gasket kit

150 rocker cover kit

500 timing belt kit

150 water pump & thermostat

200 fluids oil/coolant/brake/clutch/psteer

150 filters air/fuel/oil

1800 labour

800 dyno and road tune

#6 Hunty

Hunty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:42 PM

Thanks LPM_B4 I'll give Ichiban a call tomorrow!

#7 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:44 PM

I'd be going to ichiban for the 207 package. It may be underutilised but that means reliability and future proof if you decide to turn it up

tIeW8DE.png

#8 LPM_B4

LPM_B4

LPM_FOZ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:28 PM

I'd be going to ichiban for the 207 package. It may be underutilised but that means reliability and future proof if you decide to turn it up

This

value for money if you want to turn the wick up in the future

Ichibans number is 9600 7066

Scotty and Ben are very experienced Subaru technicians and will be happy to help you out :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users