• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Madz

Madz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:02 AM

I've done my first timing belt change, replaced the water pump and idlers and the same time. Car seems to run fine, but I was checking everything was okay under the bonnet and noticed a noise that wasn't there before. Running a screw driver around as a stethoscope I found the water pump sounds pretty noisy, but I have no idea what is normal for new pump and belt?

Can anyone who has had belt and water pump replaced recently put a screwdriver against the housing of their water pump (not the front cast angle where the radiator pipe attaches but the vertical housing itself) and see if it sounds anything like this recording of mine:

https://soundcloud.c...new-recording-3

Thanks,

Mick

#2 Madz

Madz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:08 AM

Well no-one has been able to shed any light on whether that noise is normal or not :( so I have just ordered another pump to be safe and am in the process of pulling it all apart again - I noticed however the tensioner hasn't moved - I was able to just reinsert the pin - is this normal with a new belt?

#3 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:09 PM

That is definitely not normal!

Before I read your second post my first thought was cam belt slap. Sounds like you've got a stuffed tensioner. I'm surprised it didn't skip a tooth or three on one or both of the cam gears.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#4 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:20 PM

No way you should be able to just slot the pin back in the tensioner. They take quite some considerable force to get the piston back down so a pin can be seated back in it.

Any reason why you didn't replace the tensioner at the same time?

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users