Photo

WRX to STI 6mt + motor build thoughts/help?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 alienware

alienware

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 02:58 AM

hi guys, currently have an 02 wrx. have recently picked up a 6mt swap. will be using conversion shafts (r180 to original R160 hubs), but wish to build a motor in the meantime before it all goes in, not the most knowledgable so any help is appreciated. I am aiming for 240awkw on 98 and low end power and quick response. as car will be mostly street driven. Will this be achievable with a 207 short block and standard 205 heads? Blouch 1.5xtr 7cm rear housing, and probably a PW TMIC. currently have a mishimoto x line 3 core radiator. i have been offered 03-04 WRX AVCS heads. I am willing to sacrifice power for reliability, but dont want to skimp out on the build. 

Will the 205 heads handle that kind of power reliably, and are the 03-04 WRX AVCS heads any stronger/ can i even use the AVCS? or keep looking for V7 STI heads? is the PW TMIC overkill or would a standard STI TMIC be fine? Is the blouch 1,5xtr 7cm Rear housing overkill aswell or would this be acheivable with a VF series turbo? any other suggestions for upgrading parts whilst i am there, i.e air intake? Will more than likely be keeping the stock brakes but will be getting better Pads and discs. Dont want to get e85 either.

any suggestions would be helpful!

thanks

#2 bigBADbenny

bigBADbenny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Family Photography Cars Bicycling

Posted 04 June 2016 - 07:23 AM

Start with supporting your eventual power goals: I'd recommend a bigger fuel pump and a top feed injector conversion for id1000's, eg a dw300 and Radium Engineering side feed conversion rails with dual entry FPR and parallel lines.
Generally an intake upgrade is required for 200wkw over.
With the right tune and support the heads and block should support your goal, but if rebuilding or recoing your engine consider a closed deck as that will allow 300 over down the track, assuming built short and heads are added at some stage.
MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP WAG

#3 alienware

alienware

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 08:11 AM

it currently has a Walbro 255 Fuel pump in it at the moment, will that be sufficient? i will be upgrading injectors aswell and will look into the rest. thanks

#4 bigBADbenny

bigBADbenny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Family Photography Cars Bicycling

Posted 04 June 2016 - 08:55 AM

It might help to establish the scope of the project and the budget.
That way you can make the most out your money without doing stuff twice :)
You can also prioritise the stages of the build for later upgrades, eg built heads...
http://forum.liberty...hp?f=18&t=32649
That's a vaguely similar thread on lib club.
Generally with builds the big fork in the road is stock short w/ supporting mods for up to 270ish wkw, and built short & heads w/ support for an eventual 300 over.

Avcs is primarily for economy and smoothing out power delivery, and can be utilised to optimise spool.
MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP WAG

#5 LPM_B4

LPM_B4

LPM_FOZ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:49 AM

02 WRX is non AVCS so will need to be wired in for 03-05 avcs wrx heads. They are good heads though bigport. not sure on flowing 240kw but should go close with the right mods

Stock rails are top feed on an 02 wrx so wont need rails for injectors just some ID1000s. 

Will need bigger than a 255LPH walbro, id look at either a DW300, or walbro 460.

207 will do 240kw every day of the week on 98 with supporting mods.

1.5 XTR 7cm or GT pumps S03.5 is the go to turbos for 207s atm with supporting mods see plenty crank out 250kw on 98 or more with e85.

Standard STI top mount should do 240 kw but a good upgrade is the 08+ GR sti intercooler which are 60mm longer than the GD STI cooler and flow much better. can be had for around $400 and can then make most of that back selling your GD STI cooler

Id probably look at getting a 72mm PW cai as the MAF will probably max out voltage somewhere over 220kw.

If your in Sydney id recommend Ichiban Imports in inglebur. 

If your in Melbourne go see Warwick at Got it Rex.

#6 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,449 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 04 June 2016 - 12:41 PM

m8 you just planned the next like 5 years of my build haha

tIeW8DE.png

#7 alienware

alienware

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:17 AM

Im in sydney and it will all be done by ichiban LMP_B4. Just trying to get input from others aswell.

I will now be buying a set of WRX 99 TYPE RA 207 heads which should be better without the requirement of AVCS.

Thanks. Will be now upgrading Fuel pump and injectors to add to the list.

I think if the GD sti coolers will be fine for 240kw i will stick with that. Just need to find a bigger scoop to suit a wagon.

Will be getting a CAI aswell so that will be sorted.

I am still running stock 02 rex ECU, im going to guess this will need to be replaced with a haltech or similar?

I think i may be going flex fuel aswell but still unsure.

And barbbachello, this will be an ongoing build for a year or more as i will be doing research along the way. So feel free to join in lol.

My other questions is i believe the cam gear off the 99 heads will need to use gd cams? I will be looking into those to be upgraded instead. Ant input?

Will the stock 207 internals be enough to handle 240kw? Or should i be upgrading them aswell? Say cosworth pistons and rods or similar? As i said i do not want to skimp on the build but dont want to drop my life savings into it aswell.

Will be speaking with ben and other people on advice on which way to go to keep it reliable. Once i build it i dont want to do anymore to it and will be keeping the car till i decide to sell (not for a long time haha)

I believe the manifold can stay stock.

Current list so far is:
-02 jdm 6mt swap with existing 160 hubs and conversion shafts,
-02 207 short (unknown to be needed to upgraded as of yet)
-99 ra heads (cam gear unknown to be upgraded, if stock cam gear out of the 205 can be used reliably will stick with that)
-GD Sti cooler (with bigger scoop)
-PW inguard CAI
-ECU upgrade if needed
-Fuel pump - as suggestes Dw300 or similar
-Id 1000 injectors
-blouch 1.5xtr or gtpumps turbo

Will be providing updates on build as it progressses!

Anymore input greatly appreciated.

#8 Reevesy

Reevesy

Adriano

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:25 AM

Stock ecu will be fine, can get the carberry rom for it that runs flex. Also can run mafless

You will need to change the cam gear to suit your Ecu

#9 andrew_k

andrew_k

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:02 AM

You mention wagon, so I assume your 02 is a GGA?

If that's the case, R180 shafts will be for a car with 10mm wider track, as GGA wagon is GC/SF track width, not GD sedan width. For ideal suspension geometry, upgrade to GD STi alloy lower control arms or GD sedan steel lower control arms. Also prefer lateral links on rear suspension from GD sedan or STi. You'll be needing R180 diff cradle anyway, so try and get lateral links thrown in. Keeping the shorter GG components will give you positive camber.

As per above advice, skip the 255 and go straight for the walbro 460 el85 version IMO. I'm doing similar conversion (v7 207 + blouch td05-18g) and I've settled on 850cc injectors and walbro 460, but I only want a little over 200kw atw. The 460 is overkill, but will be plenty when i move to carberry ROM + flexfuel.

Why '99 heads? You'll need to either downgrade to a 99 ecu (do not do that) or go completely aftermarket. If you can find 03+ AUDM ej205 heads and matching ECU you'll get AVCS and near-identical heads to what the V7 EJ207 originally came with.

#10 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • Interests:Door Frames

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:03 AM

The cams would be better than the wrx ones anyway

All you need to change is the actual gears ( the bit that Runs on the belt) to the gd ones

#11 alienware

alienware

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:11 PM

Happy to go aftermarket. As for the heads... Much stronger than the 205 heads atleast haha, and getting it reasonably cheap. shafts are off an 07 hawkeye wagon (believe the conversion was meant for a wagon anyway) so shouldnt need to be touching the LCA's but if it comes to it i am happy to swap those out for something better.

#12 alienware

alienware

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:28 AM

As for anything else, should i be upgrading my up-pipe or down-pipe etc?

Also if anyone is running an external gate, or should i stick with internal gate?

#13 LPM_B4

LPM_B4

LPM_FOZ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:25 AM

As for anything else, should i be upgrading my up-pipe or down-pipe etc?

Also if anyone is running an external gate, or should i stick with internal gate?

internal gate will be fine for the power your after, external is just more shit for the police to pick you up on.

I would definetly upgrade your uppipe to a catless one at a minimum,

I skipped that all together and got some tomei copy UEL headers and upipe from PSR but GTSPEC, Kando and avo are all.

I assume you have a 3" downpipe and exhaust if not that is a must

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users