7 replies to this topic

#1 hawks_123

hawks_123

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:13 PM

I'm interested if it is possible to make the site more likely to come up on a google search. I've noticed that it does not come up when you type in 'subaru forums'. We would have a much better chance of getting new members if the site was easy to find.
If it's broke use a cable tie.

#2 provar

provar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 01:23 PM

second that, that'd be great, but what i think we really need to do is figure how to advertise on other suby forums and steal all the smart ppl from everywhere else :P

#3 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:38 PM

Hey guys. There are certain searches that this site does rank with, 'subaru enthusiast forums' searching in AUSTRALIA comes up with this I believe, as are a few other variations on this. I have already done some work on helping the ranking of this site through search engines, however obviously it can be improved. Advertising this site on other sites may be something which we could look in to in the future, however to put it simply we don't have money available to pay for advertising this site elsewhere. We are not interested in putting ads on this site, and it is something that will NOT be done - EVER - so sourcing revenue from that is not an option. I will see what I can do about having this rank better with different searches as it will always help :) Thanks for the heads up guys :) Dylan

#4 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:54 PM

everone needs to search "subaru forum" and "Liberty forum" and then click the suby club link (no matter what page its on) and dont pick anything else this will help with page ranking. something simple that everyone can help with.. also just dump some keywords into a blank page that re-directs back to home page white text on white background is fine just make it pages and pages long.. i know its a cheating crappy way to do things but hey its somewhat effective with some search engines.
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#5 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:17 PM

dude, I don't mind there being a little banner with an ad on here if that's gonna help? As long as the site doesn't become a billboard.

#6 Samon

Samon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:15 AM

everone needs to search "subaru forum" and "Liberty forum" and then click the suby club link (no matter what page its on) and dont pick anything else this will help with page ranking.
something simple that everyone can help with..
also just dump some keywords into a blank page that re-directs back to home page white text on white background is fine just make it pages and pages long.. i know its a cheating crappy way to do things but hey its somewhat effective with some search engines.

That used to work... but Google have wised up and changed the way it works. In a nutshell, it's to do with the rating of each site that links to you... i.e. if a really highly ranked page links to you, that improves your PageRank by a decent amount, but if a basically unknown site links to you it really means stuff all. The BEST way to improve your PageRank is to have other QUALITY sites link to you (though any links is a good link!). Google also targets the relevance between the linking sites... putting a link on some random site about fruit picking would do pretty much nothing to SubyClub's rank... having it on another car forum or even subaru-specific sites would certainly be a benefit.

And stuffing a page full of random 'keywords' (or the old '1px white text on white in the footer') does nothing either... Google in fact penalises pages (lowers the PageRank) who attempt to skew the search results like that.

So in general: get other sites to link to SubyClub!

#7 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:31 AM

Great information, Samon - thanks for that! I am not totally clued up on how google does its ranking, so that is great to hear :)

#8 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:43 AM

So in general: get other sites to link to SubyClub!

Ozlib will do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users