• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 farkme

farkme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:51 PM

Hi there. I bought my first Subaru a couple of months ago. First new car in 21 years but since buying it I have had one concern and that is about the genuine Subaru Forester roof racks.

You see, the web page does not explain dimensions or give a description of what roof racks you will get (although there is a non descript photo).

http://subaru-new-si...ssbars.tif_.jpg

http://www.subaru.co...our-own/options    (scroll down to roof racks)

The genuine roof racks I received came with what I call plastic "generic" keys. I did not think to ask about what type of keys came with this genuine product, I just asked "do they lock".

After I picked up the car I noticed that my lock had a plastic "generic" key and rather then go back to the dealer half cocked inquiring about it should have been a "hard" key I did some investigating.

Thule the supplier to Subaru have 2 lockable versions of the Forester roof racks. One with the plastic "generic" key for a lot less then then the one that comes with a "Hard" key. I then spoke to a couple of other dealers and some also provided the plastic "generic" key locks and some provided the "Hard" key locks but regardless of what you got, they were supplied at the rrp Subaru price.

So I bought my concern up with Subaru customer service and asked "Why are two different types of locks supplied for the same price"? The reply I received was short and simple "These specific bars and the provided keys in both forms are approved by our manufacturer FHI (Fuji Heavy Industries). As such, the key that has been included with your purchase is correct".

But that did not answer my question... I specifically wanted to know  "Why are some Subaru dealers offering the plastic key and others are offering the hard key but all charging the same price? I also asked "Why does the web page not reflect the dimensions and provide a description of what you are actually purchasing".

So I replied stating this again, that was back on the 28th of June and nearly 3 weeks later I still do not have a reply.

Does anyone know why there are two different styles of locks being offered at the same price?, with one lock obviously much better then the other!

The cynical person in me feels that perhaps some dealers are charging the rrp price but still giving you the genuine Subaru product but with the cheaper lock. Surely not?

Next time I buy a car and have genuine accessories added, I will be a lot more inquisitive.

#2 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:14 PM

Surely this can be resolved via the dealership.  I'd be pressing them for what you want, a new vehicle is not a cheap thing just to say "oh well, that factory accessory isn't quite what I wanted but I'll wear it" - well to me that's what I'd be thinking anyway.

I hope you get something sorted.

Sorry I couldn't be anymore help.  If you do approach the dealer I'd be bringing up the fact that you've still not heard back from them and this is an un-resolved issue...

Cheers

Bennie

"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roof racks, forester, Thule, Genuine Products

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users