#1 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 19 July 2016 - 10:47 AM

Hi guys, just a quick one.

I've got a wheel alignment booked in tomorrow morning and wanted to clarify something before taking my car in. Is it best practice to have the alignment done to the specs in my manual or to have it flat?

I have had a bit of bad luck in the recent past with wheel alignments so I'm hoping that the guys at Bridgestone Select do a better job; Heasmans is booked out till Wednesday next week and I haven't got another day free to get the car to them.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#2 sub813

sub813

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:04 PM

your goal really should be even tire wear

#3 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:32 PM

For a Gen4

ZERO toe front and rear. (for any AWD)
you also don;t need too much static, negative camber on the front,
i'd say 1 degree max from my experience with the 3RB wagon.
They have a fair bit of caster, so you get plenty of camber come on once you start turning in.

#4 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:09 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys, it didn't fall on deaf ears.

Had the wheel alignment done on Wednesday and holy crap does the car feel a million bucks! There is such a big difference it's ridiculous. The gentleman that I spoke to (complete mind blank as to what his name is) who also performed the alignment at Bridgestone Select in Annandale was very professional, assured me that my car was in good hands and went the extra mile in ensuring everything was as it should be. There were a couple of issues that were uncovered but he explained them all to me and corrected them at no extra cost. The bill at the end of the day was $132.

Highly recommended and I will be using them for all future alignments without a doubt. I do want to try Heasmans at one stage though as a comparison.

All previous alignments I have had did not give me the kind of service that this workshop provided; not to mention the poor alignments/experiences in general. Even tyre wear and zero toe front and rear were actually mentioned by him so it's reassuring to hear that straight up.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#5 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • Interests:Door Frames

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:20 PM

What made the price $132 ?

Retail was at my local Bridgestone was 60 something
I paid $45 trade price

That was for a 4 wheel alignment

#6 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:25 PM

I do have Whiteline camber bolts which may have added to the price I guess... All that's written on my invoice is the following;

ZALIGNPSRRV4WHL - Align PSR/RV 4 Wheel

Full adjustment

Surely I haven't been ripped off?

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#7 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:33 PM

Maybe different stores charge different prices

#8 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:40 PM

Possibly. Are there differences between Bridgestone and Bridgestone Select? Heasmans charge around the same price as well so I don't mind paying extra so long as the job is done properly the first time.

They don't do anything like NRMA with Repco for example do they?

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#9 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:55 PM

All wheel alignments have all four cameras fitted.

In my experience a 'toe and go' alignment is adjusting front toe only and costs anywhere from $40-65 depending on trade/retail.

A four wheel align would involve making some adjustment to the rear, mostly toe and may include camber adjustment on the front. These are around $65-100 mark.

Then there is 'do what it needs 'till it's right' alignment that will adjust anything front or rear that is out. Price is open.

Problem is, they are all classified as 'wheel alignments' so there is always be a discussion regarding price, often with little understanding (through no fault of the owner) as to what exactly was done.

Most commonly a 'toe and go' is the alignment sold by the tyre retailers and often no adjustment is required, so it's just a check. Personally, I align my cars when tyre wear indicates its necessary.

No matter who is providing the alignment, it will only be as good as the skill of the bloke operating the machine.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#10 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 01:33 PM

Mine was front and rear toe
Camber was good

But yeah the tech didn't talk to the guy doing the invoice for me
Would have been the same price regardless

The guy knew my old man was a mechanic anyway so he looked after me in my case

#11 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 06:53 PM

I'm sure he looked after you Wob ;)

#12 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 07:10 PM

A four wheel align would involve making some adjustment to the rear, mostly toe and may include camber adjustment on the front. These are around $65-100 mark.

Then there is 'do what it needs 'till it's right' alignment that will adjust anything front or rear that is out. Price is open.

No matter who is providing the alignment, it will only be as good as the skill of the bloke operating the machine.

Good to know this as I doubt he'd be ripping me off. The price was actually $136 over the phone when I made the booking so coming down by $4 and having all that extra work done to perfect the alignment did me well.

Thanks Jase.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#13 Bumpty

Bumpty

My wob dreams are now wet dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,489 posts
  • Interests:Drinking wine with wob by the legacy side

Posted 23 July 2016 - 07:23 PM

All wheel alignments have all four cameras fitted.

In my experience a 'toe and go' alignment is adjusting front toe only and costs anywhere from $40-65 depending on trade/retail.

Problem is, they are all classified as 'wheel alignments' so there is always be a discussion regarding price, often with little understanding (through no fault of the owner) as to what exactly was done.

Most commonly a 'toe and go' is the alignment sold by the tyre retailers and often no adjustment is required, so it's just a check. Personally, I align my cars when tyre wear indicates its necessary.

Sounds like wheel alignment prices need realigning with themselves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users