35 replies to this topic

#1 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:33 PM

I was eyeballing Gen4 GT's in the latter part of 2010. Limited funds led me to a very tidy blue MY03 Subaru B4 with 160k on it in February 2011. I joined this forum shortly after where I was warned (like a broken record) about Aids. The biggest issue I ever had with the car was a failed Fuel Pump Controller. I thoroughly enjoyed the B4 and have some very fond memories. So why did I change cars if I loved the B4 so much?

Attached File  1398788_10152432834788327_1965399836_o.jpg   104.65KB   9 downloads

It was simply time to move on. 220k and five and a half years ownership. The age of the car was catching up with it. I did experience pinging on and off in the later years. But that wasn't the main reason. It was still a reliable car. The clear had faded on the roof and the scoop, valve cover seals were shot and there was a minor exhaust leak. The tune was also a little out after a timing belt service. I spent most of 2015 replacing bushes, bearings and rebuilding brakes. I didn't have the time for it anymore. My new driving habits demanded something a little less worn out.

So I take a look at my accounts and bring up the website for my local Subaru dealership. 3 days later and I'm handed the keys to a black MY16 WRX Premium with only 11k on the clock.

Attached File  DSC05045sml.jpg   204.34KB   8 downloads
Attached File  DSC05051sml.jpg   192.89KB   8 downloads

Why didn't I get the Gen4 GT I always wanted? Simples. Too old and overpriced. My cousin has the H6. I also prefer to drive an automatic. The CVT offered an interesting change. Why didn't I get the Levorg after seeing one in Japan back in 2014? Because Subaru had already taken a hit on the depreciation and its essentially the same car. This WRX came with some extras too as its an ex-Subaru car.

Mods List

On the car when purchased -
Front Window Tint to match privacy glass.
Genuine Mats with WRX Badge and Red Stitching
Genuine Cargo Tray
Paint + Interior Protection Package (I optioned this)

Done -
Personal Plates + Plate Covers
USDM WRX Badge Door Sill Scuff Plates
JDM Fuse Door with Coin Holder
USDM Windshield Sunshade (doesn't fit 100%, gap left by AUDM High Beam Sensor allows for Dash Cam anyway)
JDM MFD Hood with Red Stitching
JDM Shifter Console with Red Stitching + Carbon Style Insert
JDM Black Etched Door Sills
USDM Boot Grocery Hooks from a Legacy
eBay Leather Key Cover with Red Stitching
Cowon AW2 Front + Rear Dash Cam
Genuine Fan Blower Cover from an XV (significantly reduces fan blower noise in the cabin)
JDM LED DRL Foglight Bezel + LED Foglights
JDM Door Mirror Auto Folding with Door Lock
Philips 6000k Number Plate LEDs (probably the most important mod)

Bridgestone RE003

Stainless Valve Caps (better rubber grommet and fitment, common on euro cars)

Upcoming -
JPM Coachworks Leather Handbrake Boot with Red Stitching

#2 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:50 PM

Nice buy!

Really digging the look of these. I find the side mirror placement a bit odd looking but that's every model post 2014 anyway. 

What are your thoughts on the CVT? So many people whinging about it but likely they have never driven it. I love a good old stick as much as the next dude but they can't be that bad?

Only thing that bugs me about the Levorg is the front end styling isn't unique enough to distance it from the WRX. Especially when they're attempting to fill the gap left by the departure of the wagon and GT trim from the Legacy line-up. 

Rather than paying homage to the now defunct trim and body of the Legacy, they may have well just marketed it as the "WRX Touring".

What are your planes for it?

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#3 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 10:10 PM

What are your thoughts on the CVT? 

I'm getting used to it. It's more responsive than the 4 speed in the B4. I haven't played with the modes much yet, but driving around - its just plain quicker off the line than the B4 ever was. Direct injection, no gear changes, a brief moment as boost builds then whoosh. There is a kind of 'elastic band' feeling when it gets unsettled. Having driven a lot of different automatic cars - I don't hate it. Honestly I think most people bitching about it, haven't driven it. The technology has come a long way. As a city car and tourer this is excellent.

I bought the genuine sill plates for it and I've also got the S4 MFD cover with red stitching to match the interior. A few other minor things. I plan to get myself a front and rear facing dash cam with the parking mode business. I'd also like my RE003's back.

#4 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:12 AM

Awesome purchase Cassandra.

#5 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:14 AM

What are your planes for it?

Just a Boeing 747, maybe a Cessna down the track.

#6 motoboy76

motoboy76

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Interests:Subaru's, Dirt and road bikes......

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:24 AM

Very nice, looking forward to watching this progress.....

#7 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 03:46 PM

Just a Boeing 747, maybe a Cessna down the track.

Maybe he'll just wing it?

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#8 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 05:43 PM

Awesome purchase Cassandra.

Lol. Cass and Cassie were taken and too expensive for me right now.

It's hard to get a plate combo that doesn't make you seem like a complete w4nk.

#9 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:28 PM

Maybe he'll just wing it?

Get one of those MH370 turbos and disappear at the traffic lights.

#10 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:33 PM

Lol. Cass and Cassie were taken and too expensive for me right now.

It's hard to get a plate combo that doesn't make you seem like a complete w4nk.

Were all the _ WRX _ taken?

#11 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:13 PM

The 'good' combinations in that format were taken for me. Just getting my initials is hard enough. But there is a couple remaining, 2 WRX 4 is still up for grabs. My girlfriend is Asian and as it was a gift from her, she had input on the numbers. There is certain superstitions regarding numbers. 4 being the worst you can have. After failing to find a decent combo in the old formats (I never found any for the B4) we settled on it being one of the new centered format plates.

6 TOY 9 is available for lels. I considered TSG of course. But realised it meant nothing to anyone but me, no more or less than my initials anyway. She didn't like it either.

#12 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:03 PM

Your gf is wearing you like a glove.

I thought 8 was the lucky asian number, infinity and all that.

#13 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:36 PM

Yeah 8 is. But in this combination they consider it like handcuffs. It's insane, just roll with it. It was always going to be initials or WRX. Happy not yet wife, happy life.

#14 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:24 AM

Congrats Chris

CVT's can be fun. Last SC Xmas cruise I gave the paddles a bit of a workout and had no troubles keeping up with the Turbo cars.
It was mentioned by a few of the lads how surprisingly well my n/a pretzel performed during the run through the national park.

Once you get comfortable with the box & paddle's you'll be a big fan.

No comparison to older automatics.

#15 JET B4

JET B4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Twin turbo sooby's FTW!!!!

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:15 PM

I'm getting used to it. It's more responsive than the 4 speed in the B4. I haven't played with the modes much yet, but driving around - its just plain quicker off the line than the B4 ever was. It gets off the line quick thanks to the direct injection and CVT, no gear changes, a brief moment as boost builds then whoosh. There is a kind of 'elastic band' feeling when it gets unsettled. Having driven a lot of different automatic cars - I don't hate it. Honestly I think most people bitching about it, haven't driven it. The technology has come a long way. As a city car and tourer this is excellent.

I bought the genuine sill plates for it and I've also got the S4 MFD cover with red stitching to match the interior. A few other minor things. I plan to get myself a front and rear facing dash cam with the parking mode business. I'd also like my RE003's back.

4 speed?

4 speed?

my bad, the b4 was auto........ duh!

nice ride!

#16 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:44 AM

I had a Manuel and got sick of his Sombrero.

I've spent the remainder of my PayPal 'spare change' from the sale of the B4 parts on interior trim mods.

Hopefully I'll keep the car long enough to get to the tasty stuff, other than the changes mentioned. I'd like to see the front dropped like my B4. But I need to think about what I want to do. The approach to my girlfriends driveway is currently 2cm clearance. We have timber placed to help, but its still very close on the initial approach. We're hoping to move out next year sometime.

From what I've read the STi Pink Spring Set doesn't drop the car as much as the B4. It already rides quite rough and there is barely any travel in the suspension. It tripods on many driveways with the stock setup.

#17 Rustyrobertson

Rustyrobertson

Boxer this, Boxer that, Boxer EVERYTHING!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 10:42 PM

Nice very nice Chris

#18 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:50 AM

Very nice indeed, looks so good in black.

I'd like to have a drive of a late WRX and see how different it would be be compared to my 6sp H6 GenIV.

Chalk and cheese I would imagine.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#19 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:32 PM

Get one of those MH370 turbos and disappear at the traffic lights.

Bahahahaha... I lost it reading this thread at this point.

Classic - but too soon?

The WRX looks neat. A little bit of me broke when I heard they were all auto, not that I'll own one for some time if I ever do. With that said I am hearing good things about this setup though.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#20 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:45 AM

The WRX looks neat. A little bit of me broke when I heard they were all auto.

Only the Levorg is limited to Auto. I'm sure someone will bolt one in eventually. The dash trims and probably even the ECU's between WRX and Levorg are interchangeable. The only feature difference I've seen sitting in both is that the Levorg has Eyesight and Electronic Handbrake. It also includes some trim components that may only come on the STi WRX, that I've ordered for mine.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blue, my03, b4, blaaack, my16, wrx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users