11 replies to this topic

#1 Brad-B4 Liberty

Brad-B4 Liberty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 11:40 AM

Hi,

I have just joined suby club. I have just recently purchased a Subaru Liberty B4. Had it on the dyno yesterday at maximum motorsports in Kendall. It pull some good readings. Now on the dyno the car ran fine with no CEL faults coming up. On the road test it came up with a CEL whenever I build revs in 3rd, 4th or 5th gear meaning that I start revving at 2000 and at around 4000 it stops boosting and I get the CEL. I also get secondary turbo boost cut. The code reader read fault code;
p1241 2 stage twin turbo system (single)
P1199 Differental pressure sensor

This doesn't happen in any of the other gears. And if I boos all the way through 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th it does not happen, only building the revs up so when the cars loaded up.

Like you have said previously in another comment talking about BBOD. Where is this? It could be as simple as a vac hose or Soleniod dis function?

Can you or anyone help me?

Cheers, Brad

#2 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:30 PM

Got a boost gauge? What reading do you get from the primary turbo?

The B4 Bomber - 2002 MY03 Subaru Liberty B4, ADM, Manual, EJ208. 

#3 Bumpty

Bumpty

My wob dreams are now wet dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,489 posts
  • Interests:Drinking wine with wob by the legacy side

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:01 PM

Which

#4 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:23 PM

Bumpty... Play nice mate and use your punctuation. You left the question mark off the back of "thread".

I've seen a few post asking the same question now.

The info is out there, if it doesn't come up in the search function someone will share where to find it in good time ;)

All the best with it. I don't have a set of twins but I've heard they're awesome while they're working properly and a pita when they're not!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#5 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:37 PM

Can't answer specifics -- but looks like a primary overboost issue..

#6 Brad-B4 Liberty

Brad-B4 Liberty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:37 PM

It's weird what's happening. When the car is loaded up(ie; low revs in 3rd, 4th and 5th, it flutters or hunts between 0 psi and 5 psi until it starts to reach change over.

You can also start to hear lose of boost noise or it sounds like there air leaking past a diaphragm coming from the drivers side under the bonnet.

Any one help me out here or has anyone had that or heard of these problems before??

#7 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:52 PM

You can also start to hear lose of boost noise or it sounds like there air leaking past a diaphragm coming from the drivers side under the bonnet.

well -- I'd be looking for a boost leak, then. Trust what you're observing.

Do you get big puffs of black smoke when this is happening? Definitely boost leak if that's the case.

#8 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:45 AM

Secondary turbo to intercooler pipe.
Loose, cracked or stuffed.

#9 Brad-B4 Liberty

Brad-B4 Liberty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 11:00 PM

Yeah I do get black smoke puffs. Also have carbon black marks on my rear bumper exhaust side to prove it. Ok I'll check the system.
Could it have something to do with the ECV actuator at all? Can I loose boost due to that needing adjustment or would that not cause it?

#10 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2016 - 09:48 AM

Hi Brad, I replied to your comment in Peekay's thread.

I wouldn't play with the ECV just yet. You mentioned you can hear a boost leak noise on the driver side, you need to find where it's leaking as a priority.
IC pipes, Vac lines, SPRV, BBOD, ECV .... in that order.

If the boost leak noise only happens in 3rd it may mean it's only leaking under peak power so it may be difficult to find as it may not be that noticeable.

#11 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2016 - 09:54 AM

Keep in mind also that the DPS code could be a result or symptom of the problem, not necessarily the cause.

#12 Arfreedom

Arfreedom

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 12:05 PM

You see that code P1241. That's a night mare. Was looking for it to share with you but that code has about 15 possible reason to solve it. I freak out when I saw it. When I got to number 5. Whoala.
It's leads to a solenoid in the bbod. However I'm still trying to figure out which one and there are about 5 of them in that box. I change out one. The big one in the middle but it didn't work and I end up switching the entire box and got boost.
This is my story with that code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2001 Subaru liberty B4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users