Photo

GC8 WRX Idle Hang and Dipping with idle hunt!

gc8 idle tps iacv

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Abraham Iqbal

Abraham Iqbal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 01:42 PM

Hi Guys, 

I've been having an ongoing issue with my GC8 - when driving the car is fine but when i come to a stop, the issues begin! it starts off with the idle hanging around 1100 (idle speed is adjusted correctly), this then drops to around 800 and then drops to around 600 and picks up by idle hunting! this normally happens with the clutch in idling at lights and while stopped

I have changed MANY things so far and tested crap loads of different things; 

- MAF changed twice 

- O2 sensor changed once 

- IACV cleaned and then a 2nd hand replacement was sourced cleaned and installed 

- Knock sensor replaced - this was faulty at some stage - genuine quality part  

- checked for vac leaks and boost leaks none found

- coil pack replaced with OEM unit 

- new spark plugs gapped and installed 

- ECU reset MULTIPLE TIMES 

- entire throttle body replaced and TPS replaced at the same time 

- accel cable adjusted correctly 

- coolant system bled multiple times 

Is there anything i may have missed? 

- Is there a throttle reset procedure for this car? i have looked at a few other subaru procedures for this and no change 

- Is it possible the neutral position sensor can cause this issue? even though i dont have to have my car in neutral to start it? im not sure on this one

- is it possible the crank and or cam sensor could cause this issue?  

my GC8 is a MY98 Early build (V4 WX) with the older style IACV btw 

I'm pretty much at my wits end with this issue. 

and help would be great :) 

#2 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 02:04 PM

Have you checked if your under-manifold plastic intake pipe is split anywhere? I've seen plenty which are split around the hose clamp on the turbo muzzle.

Also check the breather lines and that the F shaped hose connector coming off the block aren't perished.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#3 Abraham Iqbal

Abraham Iqbal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 02:32 PM

turbo intake was replaced with a silicone one - no change (was done ages ago) F shaped hose - will check now :) 

#4 Abraham Iqbal

Abraham Iqbal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 03:32 PM

found no issue with the f shaped pipe :'(

#5 Abraham Iqbal

Abraham Iqbal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:13 PM

did a little fiddling this afternoon. i have kind of fixed it :/. the idle still hangs but seems to drop pretty quick, the idle drops to around 700 now not lower and nearly stalling out but the idle hunt is fixed by the looks of it - more testing to be done :) 

what i think happened was when i sealed the iacv up, i used gasket goo to seal the gasket to the iacv .. this was probably bad - i think the gasket was slightly out of place and the seal for the iacv in the manifold was not sitting correctly and thus not sealing. i will take the car for a good drive tomorrow and see what happens - hopefully this is a step forward to a resolution. i guess if the idle hunt is fixed i can live with the other issues :) 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gc8, idle, tps, iacv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users