#1 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 06:48 PM

Hi all,

Here's a simple DIY guide to programming a replacement factory key fob for BH/BE models.

I imagine the same process would probably work across the other models of similar year range, cannot confirm.

This is for cars using the factory keyless entry system without an aftermarket system. The same process should work for Liberty B4's with the Brandt system, as long as you're using the factory key fob to open/close the car.

Rev A through D is the same registration process, however there may be differences in key types and the frequencies they emit to the module. For example early stuff uses 315mhz and later uses 433.92mhz.

Obviously later models which are equipped with the factory transponder immobilizer unit will need a transponder chip coded. Subaru can do this for you for a small fee. Alternatively, you can glue your existing transponder chip to the inside of your steering column cover to cheat this process if you're lazy. Drawback being the immobilizer will be basically useless.

1. Remove the plastic side sill cover on the drivers side. Removing that will expose a bunch of wires and connectors just to the right of the accelerator pedal.
2. Dig in and locate the single pin clear/whitish coloured connectors. Connecting this plug allows the keyless entry module to go into registration mode.
3. Leave the plugs undone and close the drivers side door, making sure it remains unlocked. There is no need to have the key inserted into the ignition.
4. Connect the plugs.
5. Once the plugs are connected, press any button on the key fob twice and the door locks will cycle to confirm registration. Sometimes it can be a bit tricky, I had to press a button 3 times.
6. Unplug connectors and you're done!

Note: You will have to re-register any existing remotes as the process will "delete" any stored remotes. The module can store a maximum of 3 separate remotes.

Thanks for playing!

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#2 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:36 AM

I love how calm this post is but I chuckle at the frustration you have gone through getting this far.

#3 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:55 AM

So right, mang. I was grinding my teeth while typing it!

#4 driftsteve

driftsteve

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:07 AM

Wouldn't attaching the transponder chip to the steering column essentially make the car 'non immobilized all the time? Therefore, going back to the dark ages of gen1/gen2 in terms of simplicity to steal. 

And, are you able to pair a second hand key fob that was previously used in another car to a gen3, or do they have to be new? 

#5 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 10:23 AM

Certainly can be a second hand key fob, as I have just done. As longvas its the same type as your existing one.

#6 Reevesy

Reevesy

Adriano

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 11:20 AM

You have a photo of the one that didn't work. Might be suitable for my Rev D.

#7 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 12:26 PM

I do actually! Havent got around to doing the FS thread yet. When I get home I'll sling you some snaps

#8 driftsteve

driftsteve

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 04:04 PM

Adrian or anyone that wants one of these, let me know. They were both being used in ADM BE Libertys before being scrapped, unsure of what Rev though. 

14054950_10153733893885779_8166616391161

#9 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:06 PM

Key on the left looks like about '00 and the one on the right '02. I think they both have the same internal PCB. Undo the case and check em out, if you like.

#10 driftsteve

driftsteve

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:01 PM

Spot on I think Jimbo. The bigger key with the rubber protective case was like new inside.
Pics:

IMG_5552.jpg

IMG_5553.jpg

#11 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:16 PM

Sweet!

I noticed in comparison of the 2 different key PCB's (My original JDM one VS the [assumably] AU one I got as a spare) there were some very slight differences on the PCB but still worked.

So anyone with a big chunky nugget rubber one like above, should be able to transfer the guts into a nicer newer shell, like the other one above. Only problem I see is you can buy tonnes of the nicer cases but the button pads look like they might be difficult to find.

Subaru probably could get a replacement?

#12 zahmad

zahmad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:46 PM

So anyone with a big chunky nugget rubber one like above, should be able to transfer the guts into a nicer newer shell, like the other one above. Only problem I see is you can buy tonnes of the nicer cases but the button pads look like they might be difficult to find.

Would love to swap over my key to the newer model if so!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users