• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:40 AM

G'day all,

I need some advice.  I thought I'd done enough research and went ahead with a Gates TCK328 timing belt kit for my EJ20G.

It's arrived, I removed it from the box (but not the plastic packaging) only to find a small diametre idler pulley in the kit.  This idler was in the photo but I thought the pic was a generic image like many vendors do on ebay.

I've since found images of the setup and where the idler goes:

5%20DCP_10002.JPG

Where as I need it to look more like this:

IMG_0864.jpg

This is going to sound dodgy, but if the tensioner is the same, can I just leave out this little idler pulley to make it the same or do I need to start looking for another timing belt kit :mad:  This NASIOC thread in post two suggests that the phase 1 has thicker head gaskets than the phase two, hence the addition of the little idler to take up some slack from the system.  I my mind this doesn't really work as the timing for the other bank doesn't have an "adjustment" idler in there between the two sides...

Any info of your experiences appreciated - especially if it confirms that second post in the thread previously mentioned.

Regards

Bennie

"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#2 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:13 AM

can't give you any info first hand, or with regards to the head gaskets, but in terms of timing (cams relative to crank), it doesn't matter if the slack is taken up by one or two idlers.-- its all in the same spot between the last cam (top right) and the crank.

If you think about the timing -- it starts at the crank, then goes anticlockwise around the whole belt.  There is no requirement for a fixed timing relationship from the crank to the last cam in the other direction.

I agree with your reasoning regarding HG thickness -- but maybe the cams have a matching angular offset to the geared pulley to compensate.

#3 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:17 PM

Ah yes, I was thinking it rotated the other way for some reason...

Looks like I might be able to use it for what I want without that extra idler, and if anything, that idler will add extra tension to the system/compress the tensioner rather than make the timing route shorter.

I was tired when I wrote that, and a bit stressed about getting the wrong cam belt kit :(

Cheers

Bennie

"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users