• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Westonw14

Westonw14

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:29 PM

I have just completed my 6spd rwd swap. My 97 impreza with ej18 now has 2013 scion frs transmission.

#2 surge

surge

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:36 PM

Please more detail?

Sounds awesome though !

#3 Westonw14

Westonw14

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:00 PM

I have a ls2 swapped frs. So I had the fa20 6spd transmission laying around so I put it in my 97 1.8 impreza.

So I first pulled motor and tranny. Split them apart and disassembled the front cv shafts so I was just left with the outer boot and shafts to hold the wheel bearings together.

Then due to the starter being on the wrong side I cut a whole in the bellhousing for the started and cut the 2 bolt holes down and using a micrometer I got the exact width I needs so the starter was engaging in the right spot on the flywheel.

The ej clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, and throw out bearing all worked with the fa20 transmission. Due to the car being a cable clutch and the trans being a hydrolyic clutch, I then had to drill a hole in the throw out fork for the cable.

As for the bellhousing bolts, the top 2 bolts lined up but none of the rest did I had to take the dowls out and drill the holes larger and put a bolt and nut through it. So I only have 4 bellhousing bolts but I'm sure someone could dill and tap into the block.

Next I put it in and quickly found out that I would have to cut a large section of the transmission tunnel from the interior.

The stock transmission mount worked. Kinda. I had to flip it upside down and find some longer bolts and I just kept tightened it all the way until the mount bent to the shape to the tranny and pinched the tranny into the tunnel.

The shifter is a couple inches forward from stock location but the throw is so short that it doesn't really matter.

The ej originally had a engine mount on the firewall mounted the the transmission but I just took it out and flipped the cable clutch brakes upside down and fed a bolt into it to hold it off where the mount was.

Then I took the subaru and the frs drive shafts, cut them both in half and welded them together. I needed the frs yolk and the driveshaft extended 3 to 4 inches.

Then I took it for a test drive. First impressions were good. Then first burnout it blew my diff. So I welded it solid.

Build pics down a few comments.

#4 Westonw14

Westonw14

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:06 PM

If someone could tell me how to post pics that would be good.

#5 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:07 PM

hit "more reply options" in the lower RHS of the text box when you reply.

#6 Westonw14

Westonw14

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:10 PM

I don't see it. Do I need the full version?

#7 Westonw14

Westonw14

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:25 PM

Build pics

Attached Files

#8 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 06:02 PM

LS swapped 86 hey? Noice

#9 bass_ke

bass_ke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Music, Travel, Aviation

Posted 20 October 2016 - 06:25 PM

LS swapped 86 hey? Noice

Curious to see it and about how it handles!

2016-Present MY16 Forester tS
2016-Present MY16 Outback Diesel Premium
2006-Present MY04 Impreza GX
2007-2016 MY04 Liberty GT Premium
2005-2007 MY00 Forester GT Luxo[/color]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fa20, Ej, Rear wheel drive, 6spd, Rwd, Trans, Transmission, Build, Swap, Gear box

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users