#1 TittySprinklez

TittySprinklez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Interests:spending all the coin on the rex

Posted 19 November 2016 - 06:17 PM

Hey everyone
Looking for some ideas on keeping my temps in the engine bay down coming into the warmer months. When i get on boost it feels like its lacking that push in the back compared to when its cooler.
Shes only 34 degrees outside so dreading the 40s when they come.
So yea i have a turbo beanie on to try and contain some heat but what else can i do?
I have an sti intercooler and air splitter on the rex so thought maybe using a hobbs switch on the sprayers? Has anyone had success with the sprayers? How might i hook up a hobbs switch? I have a 02 wrx wagon so could i use the rear window sprayer pump maybe?
Cheers guys
Luke

#2 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 06:22 PM

You could also invest in using heat wrap on your headers and dump pipe. 

Losing a bit of power in summer is just how it is anyway. Air is less dense and if intake temps are hotter than optimal, your ECU will pull timing, anyway.

Setting a water spray up would be great idea too, as you have mentioned. If you were handy enough, you get set it to a pressure switch so when you hit say 12psi or something it gives the cooler a squirt.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#3 TittySprinklez

TittySprinklez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 06:31 PM

Yea i remember msr explaining it to me but i cant remember how to set it up.
Thanks for the suggestions :)
Went to a local khanacross today to watch a mate in his evo and im keen to do it next event.

#4 Arfreedom

Arfreedom

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 12:09 AM

I Have been doing some massive research on the same thing to dissipate the heat from the engine bay
These are my findings and they not in any order, you can choose one or all if you like.
*Install hood vented scoops (facing the other way, that way when the air comes in it flows the air right out the hood -hot air rises-)
*lift extension to put on the hood hinge to lift the back of the bonnet up to allow the air to flow out
*I second Jimbo, What ever he says is golden.
*don't see much of here in my country but I have seen the water sprayer on the intercooler-don't know where to get the kit from but I have personally bought sprayer nozzle to attempt to try it just like how you seen it.
* the last thing and to me the most exciting one and the one I'm definitely going to go for, when I get the finances is the Water meth injection. If you have not heard of it, I suggest do a quick look up on it. Has so many benefits it's crazy, it cleans the engine /Pistons every time you drive hard, it drops the temperature/cools the engine and the ecu turn up the timing and gives you more power. I have heard at least a 30% increase in power alone and if you tune with it you it can even give you more power gains.

Also assuming you don't have a heat shield on your turbo then invest in a wrap also

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#5 bigBADbenny

bigBADbenny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Family Photography Cars Bicycling

Posted 21 November 2016 - 12:34 PM

Water injection is great, but you'll probably get better results with e85, if available and if your car can be tuned for it. It has a similar cleaning effect and great knock tolerance.

With the scoop and vent mods, remember the area around the windscreen scuttle is a high pressure zone, meaning raising the rear of the bonnet may not work as expected.

Either way you can test your mods before and after using 2x DIY methods:
string tufts taped to the bonnet to map flow and turbulence,
and a simple manometer made of clear tubing, one end say to the cabin and the other to your high or low air pressure zone eg in the engine bay...
MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP WAG

#6 TittySprinklez

TittySprinklez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 02:31 PM

Was thinking maybe some simple bonnet vents next to the scoop haha
That seems to be where most of the heat is made.
Thanks guys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users