#1 NQRSoobee

NQRSoobee

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:42 PM

Hi All,

The 97 Liberty I have only came with keys to lock/unlock and what I've read online it strongly suggests the 97 Liberty's had remote central locking.  The driver's side door using the key locks/unlocks all doors but I can't get the footwell kick pad out to check if there's a control module behind it for the central locking.

From reading online it appears across 96, 97 & 98 Subaru changed the central locking system each year with different control modules which have different methods to code in a new remote but that's all info from the States and not Oz.  Anyone have any definitive info on Oz 97 Liberty's?

Ta muchly.  Oh and I was thinking of buying:

http://www.ebay.com/...FJRP5t~&vxp=mtr

#2 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:56 AM

In your case, I think you would be better off just buying an aftermarket central locking kit with remotes and having it fitted.

They're quite cheap and less hassle than trying to decipher what system you may or may not have.

Are you saying that you dont have a proper key fob with a button?

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#3 NQRSoobee

NQRSoobee

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:55 PM

Hi Jimbo, yep that's exactly right.  Just two cut keys came with the car and the original owner's manual.  Not much to go by.

I've read some of the early central locking systems fitted to Subaru's were a simple press a button on the controller in the car then press unlock/lock on the remote which keyed-in the new remote.  I can't see anything under the dash that even looks like a remote/keyless entry controller.  Further reading suggested the controller was hidden behind the kick panel next to the accelerator pedal.  Haven't worked out how to remove the kick panel as yet to check if a controller box is hiding behind it as the panel is one large plastic piece which is also the driver's door sill panel cover.

While I hear ya (actually read :-) , my preference is use what's fitted to the car and not have to deal with mucking about in the wiring finding which wire does what & where as I don't have a wiring diagram for the car.

Cheers.

#4 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:39 AM

Do your map lights have a little black bit in between them?

If they do then you have remote central locking. It's rubbish. You have to basically point the key at that spot to unlock it.

Posted Image

#5 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 08:04 AM

Yeah I was gonna mention the same thing, Aderm. IR remote locking was junk.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#6 driftsteve

driftsteve

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 08:32 AM

It's very OEM 90s style.

#7 NQRSoobee

NQRSoobee

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 08:17 PM

Hi Adam & Jimbo, yes there's a little black dot between the two map reading lights.  As pre original post I don't have the original keys only Mr Minit type cut ones for Soobee.

Ah, so it's Infra-Red... ah foobar!  Didn't know that.  Also, explains if it was fitted with window tint why I've read it causes issues for the remote locking (Tint blocks out IR from sun so also blocks IR from remote).  Well reads like I'll have to invest in a new central locking control box.  :blink:

Checked eBay & Jimbo is right at something like $29 or so for a complete kit.  Which means eBay here I come, any tips or hints with what not to buy?  Otherwise I'll get a kit and do the D with lots of muttered under breath swearing.  :scratch_one-s_head:

So... where is the current control module?  I might as well pull the current module out as it's now dead weight in the car.  Everything I've read says it's behind the driver's side kick panel except the kick panel does not want to come out.  Suggestions other than take a hack saw to it?

Ta muchly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users